Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

"China" party - now updated with pictures!

<< < (2/6) > >>

MommyPenguin:
Ooh, is origami done in China, too?  We could definitely do that.

I like the candy idea, although I live in an area that is very monocultural, and there aren't many Asian grocery stores or the like.  That should improve after we move back to the East Coast, but we won't be moving until spring.  But I may keep an eye out.  My regular grocery store has a decent international section.

Thipu1:

--- Quote from: MommyPenguin on December 16, 2012, 01:46:33 PM ---Ooh, is origami done in China, too?  We could definitely do that.

I like the candy idea, although I live in an area that is very monocultural, and there aren't many Asian grocery stores or the like.  That should improve after we move back to the East Coast, but we won't be moving until spring.  But I may keep an eye out.  My regular grocery store has a decent international section.

--- End quote ---

Oh yes.  China has a tradition of paper folding.  One year, SIL made origami boxes out of left over gift wrap and used them to cover a string of Christmas lights.  The result was beautiful.

When he was a child, Mr. Thipu loved to make the boxes from wax paper and use them as water
bombs.  I wouldn't recommend that for a party activity but it's fun to think about.   

MommyPenguin:
Well, water bombs would be fun if it were a summer party, maybe.  :)  Alas, my poor January child is stuck with an indoor party unless we move to Australia!

mechtilde:
Some food companies do mail order- could that be an option for you?

MommyPenguin:
Probably not.   :(  I spent a lot on the party already, and while getting a few pieces of candy at a store might be one thing, but ordering stuff online is probably going to cost more than I'd like to spend.  I already bought a big variety bag of candy to go in the goody bags.  I probably *should* do something like a dragon pinata (how's that for combining China and Mexico?) but I honestly just don't want to spend all that time making one, and pinatas are so expensive.

Next step is to figure out how to make the invitations and choose a date.  We got an invitation for the birthday party for another kid in her class, and it was printed on something like cardstock and a homemade design.  I might try something like that, maybe with the Chinese characters for "Happy birthday" and some cute pictures.  Or something.

I'm wondering if I should have some extra activities on hand just in case.  When we get to China in our geography study, one of the crafts we were going to make were handprint dragons.  That might be reasonably easy to prep and make at the party if the kids need another activity.  Or maybe I'm overplanning things for a 2 hour party.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version