Author Topic: Crockpot Chicken Soup  (Read 803 times)

Amara

Crockpot Chicken Soup
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:56:32 PM »
Okay, we all have at least one recipe for chicken soup made in the crockpot. Maybe more. I thought it might be good post them here to see what works and tastes best to e-Hellions.

The other day I threw an organic whole chicken in with a quart-size jar of my homemade chicken stock and a box of the TJ's chicken stock (plus perhaps, a bay leaf, and some dried Thai bird peppers. I then set it on high for five hours. I came back about 1 1/2 hours before it was to be done and added the dried exotic mushrooms TJ's sells in a packet. When it was done, I removed the chicken to cut up the meat and while doing that, added a pound of fresh sliced mushrooms. Then I re-added the chicken meat and let it cook on low for 30 more minutes. I then removed the herbs branches and peppers (though a good amount of the herb leaves were, of course, left in the soup as intended). Well ... it is beyond heavenly.

What are your standards?

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Crockpot Chicken Soup
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 08:37:42 AM »
I make mine a bit differently :

i buy 2 kilo chicken necks/backs (they sell them here for dirt cheap).

Throw them in the CP with carrots (2-3), onion (1), lots of celery including the leaves, celery and parsley roots (1-2 each), kholrabi (1), pumpkin/squash. water about to just about cover, black pepper, a little fresh ginger (i do't add salt because i'm trying to cut down and i use kosher chickens which are salted)

let it simmer for 5-6 or more hours. toward the end add a few sprigs of dill and a bunch of parsley. let it cool about 10 minutes and immediately strain. that's the stock, AKA Jewish Penicillin. freezes beautifully. because i use the necks and backs there is little to no fat.

If i want to make chicken soup, i'll add fresh carrot, squash, 1 dill sprig, and chicken breast (I like when the veggies are fresh).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Mikayla

Re: Crockpot Chicken Soup
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 03:32:42 PM »
I make a version of this but it's not for anyone counting calories!  I line the bottom with sliced baby carrots, onion chunks, and celery (especially the leaves).  I add about a cup of water, toss the chicken on top and cook 5 hours. 

At that point, I remove carcass and pick through the chicken, making bite sized pieces.  I also strain the liquid at the bottom to remove the veggies, and I set these aside.  I return the liquid to the crockpot, along with the chicken chunks or pieces.  Then I return the carrots to the crockpot, along with some of the celery for flavor.  I try to make sure the leaves are included.  I don't usually return the onion, but if I do, I cut it in much smaller pieces.

Then I add chicken broth, usually 3-4 cans.  I dump in a little more seasoning - mainly salt, pepper, sage and sometimes onion powder if I remove the onions.  I also add about a cup or 1.5 cups of rice.  Lately, I've also added corn to it.  I set it on high and let it cook until the rice is done.

You can stop here or do what I've done in a couple recent batches, which is add a basic white sauce if you want it to have a creamy component. Take about 3 T butter and bring to full boil.  Add 3 T flour and cook thoroughly.  Slowly add in a cup of milk and get it fully thickened.  Then start adding to your soup until it's the desired consistently.  You definitely need to add more salt if you do this.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it's one of those recipes that takes 6 hours, with about 15 minutes prep time.

I'd been meaning to write this down, so thank you for the opportunity :)