Author Topic: Used this one today!  (Read 2577 times)

Pen^2

Used this one today!
« on: December 15, 2012, 04:25:35 PM »
This is the first time I've used this one directly, so I'm rather excited!

BG: DH is originally from Neverland. He was born and raised there, and speaks Neverese as perfectly as he speaks English (he has a phd in Neverese literature from a Neverland university). I lived there with him for several years, and speak the language proficiently, and although I can have any normal conversation in Neverese, I'm not at the super-fancy-literature level. But, more importantly, I know more about the country and the language than the average non-Neverese Joe./BG

Co-irker was going around today collecting money in a tin. When she got to me, she asked for loose change, and I asked what the donations are for. Her response was to hand me a flyer which stated "Stop evil Neverland government killing anyone in Famous Neverland Landmark who says Special Word!" I honestly couldn't help myself and laughed. Not wanting to point out the ignorance-based racism, I had to explain that not only was this a common misconception and completely untrue, but my husband and I had visited that landmark recently, and said the so-called banned word multiple times. Her response? "But they're killing people!" I tried to keep up the whole I'll-pretend-this-is-a-joke-so-you-don't-realise-how-offensive-this-actually-is with a "oh my goodness, does that mean I've a zombie this whole time and didn't know it?" She persisted, physically pushing the money tin into my torso and saying, "if you care about people at all, you'll take this seriously and donate." Realising I wasn't getting through, I stated, "I'm afraid that won't be possible," and left.

She approached me several times throughout the day, persisting. I transformed into a broken record each time. Woo-hoo for useful phrases!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:35:06 PM by Pen^2 »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Used this one today!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 04:46:31 PM »
Is there someone you can report co-irker to?  That is appalling.  Her, not you.  You did great.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

diesel_darlin

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 06:46:19 PM »
 She persisted, physically pushing the money tin into my torso and saying, "if you care about people at all, you'll take this seriously and donate." Realising I wasn't getting through, I stated, "I'm afraid that won't be possible," and left.

I applaud you. Because I honestly dont think I would have remembered my stock phrase at that point.  :)

Pen^2

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 07:58:30 AM »
I honestly dont think I would have remembered my stock phrase at that point.  :)

Frankly, if I hadn't had a stock phrase, I would have told her just where that money tin should go.

Due to my uncontrolled guffaw, the manager asked me later what was up. I explained the situation to her (she was horrified), and all I know is the tin disappeared soon after.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:54:31 PM »
Congratulations on a job well done!

And I'm glad the manager overheard and stepped in.

I just wonder where your poor deluded co-irker's collection would have wound up... with some internet scammer?  ::)
If you have an opinion about my life, raise your hand!
Now, put it over your mouth.