Author Topic: Volunteer Work...what do you do?  (Read 2665 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Volunteer Work...what do you do?
« on: December 15, 2012, 08:28:27 PM »
I am going through some changes right now, and a big part of that is trying to become a better person overall. I'm not a terrible person to begin with, but I could and should make a lot of improvements. Part of these changes involve my spirituality. Another part is retraining my brain to be more positive and assume the best about everyone-generally improving my attitude. There is a lot more to it, but you get the idea.

Anyway, in line with those goals, once I get settled into my new job in January, I want to start doing some sort of volunteer work. Something that will really help others in my community. I'm curious about different types of volunteer work my EHell friends have done. Tell me your stories/ideas!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

kckgirl

Re: Volunteer Work...what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 08:34:20 PM »
I work in my church's nursery and am the secretary for the AWANA club, also at my church. The nursery is a monthly-on-Sunday-morning thing, and AWANA is weekly on Wednesday evenings during the school year.
Maryland

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 08:37:02 PM »
I have a couple of times participated in food drives, but mostly I participate in an annual fundraising event for a cancer-related organization (I don't know, can I name it? I've seen threads where people don't name businesses/organizations even in positive discussion) and am in my second year of working on the planning committee for the event.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 08:43:53 PM »
I've worked at a soup kitchen, raked leaves for elderly community members, worked with local students in a reading program and one or two one time only things.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 08:46:15 PM »
As you know, I knit (and crochet).  In January, I knit hats for a coworker to take down to Guatemala where he goes on mission trips.  I knit hats for another set of coworkers who take under privileged kids on a fishing trip in July.  I didn't expect the kids to wear them; they were for them to take home for the winter but apparently one little guy wore his the entire week!  I also knit hat and mitt sets for Christmas Cheer.  I also knit and crochet articles to enter in my home town's Fall Fair.  Those items usually then get donated somewhere.  I've donated afghans to the women's shelter, to a friend's church's silent auction and to the long term care wing at my home town's hospital.  I've also knitted chemo caps that were donated to a couple of different hospitals.

I bake for my Dad's church's bazaar at the end of November.

And I do one volunteer shift (12-4) for Christmas Cheer sorting food donations.

I thought about volunteering at the animal shelter but I was worried about getting too attached to the animals.  I'm having a lot of issues with being emotional right now.  I think it's hormones fluctuating as I head into menopause.   :)  Plus, they usually ask for a regular type shift and I would feel guilty having to take 'vacation'.  I go home every weekend to help my Dad every spring making maple syrup; I'm really busy in the garden on the weekends in the summer, my Dad's health is starting to decline a bit so I end up helping him out.  Plus my own health can be iffy.  So doing stuff that I can do at home works for me.

However, if I won the $30 Million in the lottery last night  ;), I'd be quitting my job in pretty short order and picking up something to do volunteer wise.  Meals on Wheels, hospital auxiliary, food bank gardening, etc.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Amara

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 08:47:27 PM »
I have worked with the library's Adult Literacy Program, the Rape Crisis Center, Shelter Services for Abused Women, and (my favorite) one of the no-kill cat organizations here.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »
I volunteer at the local USO in my Airport.  We have 3 programs that you can help with.  The Airport Assistance Center which is a lounge that has free wi-fi, TV, food, and a place to sleep.  United Through Reading and Operation Care Package.

Through my local Catholic Charities I volunteer at a local womens shelter serving breakfast, lunch or dinner.  I don't cook anything, but just come to help serve.

The city I live in puts on several festivals including an Arts Festival and a Book Festival.  I volunteer with them to help out.  It gets me free parking during the festivals and I can hang out and participate after my shift is done.

Habitat for Humanity is really easy to help out with and they are always looking for people to come build.  My local HFH chapter requires a full 8 hour day, but a chapter just north of us asks for 4 hours.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 09:06:48 PM »
Wow! Those are all such great things to do!

I was looking around on the Internet for ideas, and some thoughts I'm having are that I might volunteer at a hospice. I also found this one online-www.cheerfulgivers.com. They provide gift bags with 8-10 small gifts for poor children on their birthdays. I need to check them out, but if they are a legitimate organization I might do something with them.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Jones

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 09:50:55 PM »
That sounds like a great charity!

I've been through a few, but the one I'm currently with is a group that assists local women going through child loss (everything from miscarriages to car accidents). It's heartbreaking but gratifying to know we can help a little; not much, sometimes just a listening ear, but something. As we've all experienced a loss ourselves it's strangely healing.

JoW

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 10:55:53 PM »
I ring for the Salvation Army.  Just got home from 6 hours outside a department store.  In my city (Omaha, Nebraska, USA) sign-up is on line.  Weather and workload permitting I ring on Black Friday, every Saturday Thanksgiving-Christmas, and the morning of Christmas eve. 

I get the Christmas blues.  Ringing helps break them. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 11:49:34 PM »
Something which takes some time to train up but is good exercise and tons of fun: before Babybartfast was born, I was with a K9 search-and-rescue unit.  My dog and I learned how to search for lost people in several local environments (the woods, swamp, mountainside, fields, night/day, indoors, etc.) and were working toward cadaver and water searches when I ended up leaving the team.  It was really interesting and required very little medical training - on a real search you're pretty much always leading a small team of volunteers, usually volunteer fire and rescue, so your job is just to read and interpret your dog's signals and help the medical people get to the missing person.  You don't have to have a dog to do this, either - we had some people on the team who stayed in the main base on searches and organized who was searching where, oversaw the radios, acted as liaisons with the other departments, kept track of the topographical maps, etc.  The other fun aspect of the whole thing was going to schools/scout troops/summer programs and talking to kids about things like what to do if you're being chased by a strange dog, how to avoid getting bit, what to do if you get lost in the woods, etc.

There may not be a search team convenient to where you live - there are three in my state and all three are in my city - but it's worth a look.  You get a lot of exercise tramping around outdoors!  Even if you don't want to actually join, search teams LOVE to have volunteers come out and hide for the dogs.  It helps the dogs to not search for the same people (with the same scents) over and over again, and it helps socialize them.  We occasionally had (older) scout troops and teen volunteers come out and help at practice, and the dogs loved the attention!

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 11:49:54 PM »
Most of my volunteering is centered around the kids school. I make jams for the school fair stall (I made spiced plum chutney last night), I help out with literacy in the classroom once a week and I run the 2nd hand uniform shop.  I met my husband volunteering with a conservation group.

I work for the peak body which looks after the interests of volunteers and their managers in my state.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:51:34 PM by oz diva »

Victoria

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 11:53:28 PM »
I volunteer once a week at the Insectarium performing entomological husbandry (I LOVE BUGS!) and I also volunteer with Save Our Cemeteries performing clean up and tomb restoration.  I'm also a licensed tour guide and give tours of the historical cemeteries for free for SoC. ;D  People ask how I have that much free time, but honestly since I enjoy it so much it's more fun than sitting at home all weekend!

snowdragon

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 03:08:38 AM »
I used to Volunteer at the Science Museum. I loved it and wish it were feasible to still do it .  I have also worked with the Historical Society, The local tourism board and the local gallery.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 03:23:37 AM »
I don't do nearly enough. I used to do a lot more

now i work at a non-profit organization, which i see as my "doing good for the world" as we promote a lot of important social projects around the world. yes, it's my *job* job and not a volunteer job, but I purposely chose to work for a non-profit becuase i believe in what they are doing.

in addition, i prepare holiday meals twice a year for a shelter for teens, as well as preparing food for my 81 Year Old father.

I would love to do more - but i really don't have time. I leave my house for the gym at 5.30 ish, and go straight to work from there, and get home from work at around 7 PM. I cook everything at home from scratch and also prepare meals to take to work, plus cooking for my father, so between shopping for food, cooking, storing, cleaning the house, talking to my kid, and breathing, i really don't have extra time.

If i could, i would like to voluteer at the zoo, or tutor kids.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools