Author Topic: Volunteer Work...what do you do?  (Read 2566 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: Volunteer Work...what do you do?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »
Hey, I never thought of donating blood as volunteer work, but what a great way to consider it!
I do that, cannot do the platelet thing.

I work church nursery once a month, and spent much of December helping with our church's HUGE Christmas musical production. 

I coach young children in writing.  That is a lot of work!   ;)

I donate canned goods and foods but I have not served in a food kitchen for a couple of years since my sub job is too erratic to consistently serve.  I used to work Angel Food on Saturdays once a month, but they had...leadership financial issues so that was the end of that!

I am a Boy Scout merit badge counselor and served as the Popcorn Kernel this year.  Not sure I will do it next year, as I had cases of popcorn for months at my house, and needed spread sheets to organize the boys and money and orders and ugh!!  Not my forte.

For a few years, I answered the night shift emergency call at a pregnancy center.  Calls were sent to my house so I got to sleep, but I jolted awake each time the phone rang.  Everything from rape to possible pregnancy, to DNA test wanted, to jsut counseling...that was hard.

Of course lots of things at school-volunteer receptionist, homeroom mom, decorator, hospitality committee, Mom's prayer, library reader and shelver, lunchroom monitor, lost-and-found sorter, etc...

Almost all of these are close to me, and I do not have to go out of my way to serve.  Most of them are just what I do, because, it is what I do!  I have never been on a mission trip, or suffered hardship to serve others.  Friends of ours are moving to a third world country in Feb. to serve, and we have pledged financial and prayer support, but I feel way too warm and cozy to do that myself. 

It is amazing work that people are sharing here, and I thank all of you for your service and dedication and time.  It makes the world a better place. 

OP- follow your interests and ask around.  You may be surprised what you can do!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »
Don't forget to take a look at volunteermatch.com or serve.gov  Some of my favorite volunteer positions have been found there

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 02:45:48 AM »
Do the volunteering world a favour, don't ring an organization a week before Christmas offering you and your 12 yr olds services in a kitchen on Christmas day.

Sorry to sound churlish, but they won't want you or your child. Kitchens are dangerous places and everyone needs training to be in there.

Victoria

DaisyG

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 05:39:33 AM »
Such a great thread and so good to hear all the good work the eHellions are up to!

I work for a non-profit which I think counts towards my volunteering and have also done unpaid fundraising for them. Most of my volunteering is through my church. I currently help with the youth club but have also helped teach ESOL to new immigrants and helped with the food bank.

MindsEye

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 08:27:37 AM »
I volunteer at my local humane society.

This means that I - walk and play with the dogs and play with the cats (i.e. working on socialization), help feed the animals, help clean the pens and viewing/adoption rooms, help ferry the animals back and forth to the vet, help administer medications, help evaluate animals for aggression/behavior issues, etc etc etc... basically doing anything that is needed except for the administrative work and any actual legal paperwork related to adoptions, medical care, etc.

I will be the first to admit it... it can be really really hard because you get attached to the animals.  But it is also very rewarding.

AdakAK

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 09:07:25 AM »
I've fostered dogs in the past, and am considering doing it again in the future.  Right now I am doing small group work in reading for a class at school twice a week. 

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 10:03:49 AM »
I'm president of my local Lion's Club- we work with preserving vision around the world. I also volunteer time to work with 2 organizations that support LGBTQ kids. I am the volunteer chaplain for a women and religion conference project, and the volunteer computer geek for another women's support collective. I serve as a volunteer Good Offices (internal chaplain/student support) Representative for a seminary.
"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

anniehawks

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 03:07:56 PM »
I routinely volunteer at our local museum and with the kids' program at church.  I also do seasonal volunteering.  For example, last weekend I wrapped Christmas presents for the underprivileged.   

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »
Do the volunteering world a favour, don't ring an organization a week before Christmas offering you and your 12 yr olds services in a kitchen on Christmas day.

Sorry to sound churlish, but they won't want you or your child. Kitchens are dangerous places and everyone needs training to be in there.

No worries there; no kids and I'm not planning on starting until I get settled into my new job/schedule in January (except for the platelet donations. I start that on Friday-but they want me to, really!)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »
Don't forget to take a look at volunteermatch.com or serve.gov  Some of my favorite volunteer positions have been found there

Never heard of serve.com...going to check it out now. Thanks!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 03:40:40 PM »
I would start with what you enjoy.

Kids?
Pets?
Crafts?
Your college?
Books?
Do you or a loved one have a disease you want to support?

Do you want to directly work with people or behind the scenes?

How often do you want to volunteer?

I have volunteered for my college at college fairs, I am on the board of Trustees at my church, and have run the craft program for our church youth group.

Shotochick

• An Aussie Foodies Adventures Abroad
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2012, 03:41:23 PM »
Hussyband and I volunteer one Sunday a month to deliver meals and hampers to people with HIV in London.
An Aussie Foodies Adventures Abroad: www.aussiefoodie.blogspot.com

Mikayla

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »
My biggest one has been hospital volunteering, starting the day I was eligible to be a candy striper.  Someone upthread mentioned the ER, and I did a few stints in those.  My job seemed to be consist mostly of running bloodwork down to the lab and then waiting for the results.  But I've done other stuff, too, like manning the Patient Information desk. 

I tried animal rescue fostering and lasted 3 days, so my other activities are more involved with the indirect stuff, especially gathering needed supplies from friends and family, or helping with fundraising. 

I agree this is a cool thread!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2012, 05:09:35 PM »
Just got back from my Christmas Cheer food sorting shift.  They were really backed up because a morning delivery was late.  So there was lots to do.  I'm exhausted!  But a good exhausted.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

AreaWoman

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2012, 07:28:25 PM »
I serve on a nonprofit board and occasionally provide free professional services to the organization.  We run an affordable housing building for older folks and have associated wellness and arts education.  If you have any kind of professional skill set or background, most boards would love to have you serve.

I just want to encourage people to consider volunteering for the elderly -- it can be very difficult to obtain funding and to recruit volunteers.  Our residents are wonderful and interesting people, and I'm happy to do what I can.  I'm very proud of the work we do at this non-profit, as our residents average 20 years in the building and have an average age of 83.  We work very hard to provide social and cultural opportunities, which helps keep them engaged, active and healthy.  (Sorry, I tend to be an evangelist on the topic...)