Author Topic: Volunteer Work...what do you do?  (Read 2565 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Volunteer Work...what do you do?
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2012, 07:50:45 PM »
Oh I forgot,

I also put care packages together to send to troops overseas.  I've had the same 3 guys for the last 6 years now and I usually adopt at least 2 or 3 more.  USPS makes it very easy and affordable to send things to them.  $13.45 for their largest priority mail box

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2012, 10:44:28 PM »
I volunteer at our local Humane Society playing with cats and walking/grooming dogs.  I also volunteer once a month at our local Guide Dog association, where I groom people's guide/service dogs for no charge.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Me

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2012, 06:14:38 AM »
I'm really fortunate at the moment that I have time available to volunteer.

I volunteer at a nursing home.  I run the computer 'cafe' (my oldest client is 92!), work with dementia patients one on one and in group activies like cooking and have run some chat groups.  I really love it and  gotten to know many of the residents and their stories-all so fascinating!

I also volunteer as a ESL Home Tutor.  I had to do 6 week course which I enjoyed.  I enjoy seeing my student improve and also learning about their home country.

Have enjoyed reading about everyone's experience-lots of amazing things that are done.  :)

Dorrie78

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2012, 09:53:32 AM »
I volunteer at our local Humane Society playing with cats and walking/grooming dogs.  I also volunteer once a month at our local Guide Dog association, where I groom people's guide/service dogs for no charge.
I did this as well - they called it Cat Socializing at the shelter where I worked. I loved it when I lived in an apartment and wasn't allowed to have pets. Gave me plenty of "cat time." This got the cat more accustomed to interacting with humans. I also was a wildlife driver. Basically, I would have shifts when I would be on-call and the shelter would call me when someone brought in wildlife, like a nest that had fallen out of a tree filled with baby squirrels or birds. Then I would drive to the shelter and pick up a shoe box with the unfortunate critters and bring them to the rehabber. That would be a trained person who did this as volunteer work usually out of his or her home. I would always consider the animal and play soft classical music in my car. Figured the squirrels and robins would like that! I was also a trained dog-walker, but I much preferred playing with cats!

I agree with others - think about what you like to do and go from there. All volunteer work is not for everyone, so don't feel guilty if certain volunteering ideas fill you with dread! My dad helps in the local emergency room - he is retired and he kind of does candy-striper work, handing out warm blankets, getting food from the cafeteria, comforting frightened patients as much as he can, etc. I really admire what he does, but I couldn't be around blood and injury like that!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2012, 07:57:53 PM »
I really dig volunteering at our local Humane Society.  Playing with cats...what's not to like?
"After all this time?"
"Always."

lisat

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2012, 10:23:55 AM »
 I volunteer with Hopsice. It can/is emotionally draining but one that is also very soul fulfilling.

doodlemor

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2012, 09:53:44 PM »
Shortly after I retired I jumped feet first into a very time consuming volunteer job.  It seemed like a good idea at the time, but many weeks I actually put in as much work as one would if working full time.

It was very interesting, and I learned a lot about finances as I was treasurer for a small non-profit.  However, I couldn't maintain that level of volunteer hours and be involved with my family as much as I wanted to be.  When I resigned my job I distributed the duties between our paid manager, another volunteer, and a firm of accountants.

My advice is to get into your volunteer work slowly and carefully.  Make sure that you know what is involved before you take over a job.

Octavia

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2012, 08:34:01 AM »
I just remembered another volunteer gig that I do, because we just had our monthly meeting. I serve on my county's Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC). We prepare the Hazardous Materials Response Plan for the county, develop evacuation plans and routes in case of an emergency, provide emergency response training, and design and manage exercises to test the emergency response plan. We work with local Homeland Security personnel, police and fire departments, hospital administrators, and others who would be involved in responding to a hazardous materials emergency. It's very interesting work!

Also, although one has to be nominated by the LEPC to join, the meetings are open to the public. So if you're in the United States and are interested, your county's LEPC's website will provide the calendar of meetings and other information you'll need to attend as a guest.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2012, 08:37:09 AM »
I just remembered another volunteer gig that I do, because we just had our monthly meeting. I serve on my county's Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC). We prepare the Hazardous Materials Response Plan for the county, develop evacuation plans and routes in case of an emergency, provide emergency response training, and design and manage exercises to test the emergency response plan. We work with local Homeland Security personnel, police and fire departments, hospital administrators, and others who would be involved in responding to a hazardous materials emergency. It's very interesting work!

Also, although one has to be nominated by the LEPC to join, the meetings are open to the public. So if you're in the United States and are interested, your county's LEPC's website will provide the calendar of meetings and other information you'll need to attend as a guest.

Thanks for the information.