Author Topic: Re: Step in and simplify travel plans Minor UPDATE Pg. 6  (Read 15269 times)

weeblewobble

Re: Step in and simplify travel plans or keep my mouth shut? UPDATE Pg. 4
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2012, 06:11:21 PM »
UPDATE: Well, I didn't have to talk to Ted.  My sister did.  I didn't say a word to her about Ted's plans.  Ted called Sis to thank her for the pics she'd sent of our niece. He told her about his plans, with what Sis called a "'aren't I just so clever' tone."

From what she described, the conversation went something like this:

Ted: (paraphrased) So I'm 'pulling a Ted' again this year so I can the look of joy on our parents' faces when I tell them I will be at Weeblewobble's house!

Sis:  Are you (redacted) kidding me?

Ted: (predictably defensive) What?!

Sis: You're going to let our retiree parents, with Mom's not-great night vision and Dad's back problems, drive four hours each way through major metropolitan holiday traffic, stay in a hotel at holiday weekend prices when they don't have to?  So instead of spending the weekend relaxing and getting ready for the holiday, they're going to exhaust themselves, spend money they don't have to, and possibly get into a wreck?  All so YOU can feel good when YOU see the 'look of surprise' on their faces?'"

Ted: (grumbling) Well, I didn't think of it that way.  But it's not as bad as you're making it sound!

Sis: It's as bad as I'm making it sound.  You're going to see them on Christmas Day, so instead of stressing them out and putting them out, why don't you call them now and tell them you'll see them at Weeblewobble's?  If you want to see the look on their faces, use Skype!

Ted told her he would think about it and hung up without saying goodbye.  I don't know if he's going to change his plans.  At this point, I'm just going to sit back and see how this plays out.

ETA: Sis also pointed out the complication of transporting presents for us kids and grandkids to Ted's city and then to my city.  The number of packages will possibly call attention to their vehicle when it's parked in the hotel's parking facilities.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 06:36:17 PM by weeblewobble »

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: Re: Step in and simplify travel plans or keep my mouth shut? UPDATE Pg. 4
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2012, 06:14:13 PM »
I like your sister.

weeblewobble

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
Me, too. :)

Salvage3

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »
I agree with lady_disdain; but I do think at this point someone should tell your brother that you will be telling the parents unless he changes his mind.  This is not only unfair to them but potentially hazardous.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2012, 06:34:09 PM »
I like your sister...a lot!  She says what she has too without being coy.  Good for her!

weeblewobble

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2012, 06:37:24 PM »
I like your sister...a lot!  She says what she has too without being coy.  Good for her!

The thing is, she's usually very tactful and careful about what she says... just not when it comes to Ted. Her Ted Tolerance is very low.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2012, 07:35:32 PM »
Sis: *snip* If you want to see the look on their faces, use Skype!

See now, why didn't we think of that? Go, Sis!!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Re: Step in and simplify travel plans or keep my mouth shut? UPDATE Pg. 4
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2012, 07:52:44 PM »
sis probably already called.  She seems to have an ah-hem...take charge attitude. ;D
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

bloo

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2012, 10:01:07 PM »

The thing is, she's usually very tactful and careful about what she says... just not when it comes to Ted. Her Ted Tolerance is very low.

Sis: *snip* If you want to see the look on their faces, use Skype!

See now, why didn't we think of that? Go, Sis!!

Your sister is hysterically funny!

Amava

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2012, 11:06:19 PM »

I don't blame her, I think my Ted tolerance is already low from just reading your posts and I haven't even met the guy.

Also I don't think "tact" would work on Ted.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: Step in and simplify travel plans or keep my mouth shut?
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2012, 11:17:56 PM »
It's also a complete de-value-ing of their time.
Youre talking 8 hours (4 each way, right?) spent on the road in the midst of the holiday season for NO reason?

And remember, his original plan involved riding along with them, so they would have had to drive him home too.

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »
If he still wants the "look of surprise" moment, why doesn't he tell them they have to cancel their plans to visit him because he has to work/go out of town/bathe his cat and he's SOOOO sorry he'll miss Christmas with them, then show up at Weeblewobble's place for Christmas?  No putting out of the parents and he still gets the "Ted factor".

(also, I think I love your sister since her first words were pretty much my first thought when I read this)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Step in and simplify travel plans or keep my mouth shut?
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2012, 12:38:02 AM »
This is what I'd do w/ my husband's little brother. When he was younger, he just didn't get it. He didn't see how anything affected anybody but himself.
He got much better. He's not selfish and mean--but he was very self-focused. And  he just didn't THINK. He saw only the thing that was in his head.

I don't know if any of you guys believe in astrology at all*, but this reminds me of Linda Goodman's description of Aries - the infant of the zodiac, so absorbed in their own fingers and toes that they don't realize they're inconveniencing anyone else.

* I'm on the line with this stuff - it makes no logical sense to me, but her description of the Aries female in Sun Signs fits me to a T. (I have trained myself out of the self-absorbedness, or at least tried to, almost to the other end of the spectrum. Not a doormat, but perhaps too concerned with everyone BUT myself.)

ETA: made the quote tree more manageable, and to say : I <3 Your Sis too!!!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:42:02 AM by jedikaiti »
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2012, 02:34:13 AM »
go sis!

and I would still either tell your parents or make sure ted does. his behavior is ridiculous - if he wants to act like a juvenile, that's his business,but when it starts to impact others, it becomes a bigger issue.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Iris

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2012, 03:53:41 AM »

I like her too. He can't have HER kidneys, either  ;)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.