Author Topic: What sausage goes with lobster?  (Read 1349 times)

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
What sausage goes with lobster?
« on: December 16, 2012, 11:09:05 AM »
I am planning on doing a gumbo for Christmas, and I thought I would fancy it up in honour of the occasion, but I am unsure what kind of sausage would go. Any thoughts? Please and thank you. 
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

alkira6

Re: What sausage goes with lobster?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 11:38:07 AM »
It sounds like a good idea, but lobster in gumbo is kind of a waste of money. You taste everything but the lobster. I was really sad when I realized this  :P  But, if you want to give it a go, try a mild sausage that is light on sage. Andouille would be way too spicy for lobster and one with a lot od sage would do the same thing. You might try bratwurst.

*ed for spelling and that whole complete sentence thing
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:43:47 AM by alkira6 »

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 11:45:37 AM »
Thank you for the benefit of your experience. I will make a more traditional gumbo, and do something else with the lobster.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 11:46:44 AM »
Andouille is the traditional gumbo sausage, but if you can't get it or feel it would be too spicey I would do a smoked sausage.    But I'd forgo the cost of lobster and do more crab or oysters.

alkira6

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 12:50:33 PM »
If you already have the lobster, you might try to make some savoury lobster cakes. If you have a good recipe for crab cakes, just sub in the lobster and top with melted butter when they are finished. Even better, I've made lobster rolls with premade crescent roll dough and they were fabulous. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »
If you want to sub the lobster for something else, and have it be fancy and really good, try Eggs Benedict with lobster as the meat.  I did that once with leftover lobster.  It was heavenly.  The sauce went great with the lobster

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 02:07:45 PM »
mmm gumbo...

Or maybe some grilled shedded lobster sprinkled on the individual bowls?

I will sometimes use a speciality ingredient (smoked salmon, shrimp, cheeses, etc..) and put about half in the dish and save half to sprinkle on top.  It looks nice and is tasty because you can get a nice taste of almost pure luxery ingrediant)

Or fresh biscuits with garlic, parsley, and chunks of grilled  lobster meat baked in?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 05:26:23 PM »
mmm gumbo...

I will sometimes use a speciality ingredient (smoked salmon, shrimp, cheeses, etc..) and put about half in the dish and save half to sprinkle on top.  It looks nice and is tasty because you can get a nice taste of almost pure luxery ingrediant)

Or fresh biscuits with garlic, parsley, and chunks of grilled  lobster meat baked in?

Oh, yum.  Gumbo with lobster sliders with lots of garlic butter.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 05:42:47 PM »
mmm gumbo...

Oh, yum.  Gumbo with lobster sliders with lots of garlic butter.

I believe this is what we're going with.
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 10:04:11 AM »
If you already have the lobster, you might try to make some savoury lobster cakes. If you have a good recipe for crab cakes, just sub in the lobster and top with melted butter when they are finished. Even better, I've made lobster rolls with premade crescent roll dough and they were fabulous. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Yes, please!  ;D
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

alkira6

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 10:39:34 AM »

Yes, please!  ;D

No problem - below is the recipe that I began with. Please remember that mine is not the "traditional" lobster roll.

The World-Famous Maine Lobster Roll

Recipe courtesy Jasper White
Ingredients

Lobster Salad:
1/2 pound fully cooked lobster meat or 1 (2 1/2 pound) live lobster
1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
1/4 cup bottled mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon fresh tarragon
2 small scallions, thinly sliced
Kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground pepper

Directions

lobster salad.

If using live lobsters, steam or boil them. Let cool at room temperature. Use a cleaver to crack and remove the meat from the claws, knuckles and tails. Remove the cartilage from the claws and the intestines from the tails of the cooked meat. Cut the meat into 1/2-inch dice. You may pick all the meat from the carcass and add it to the meat or freeze the carcass for soup or broth.

Place the cucumber in a colander for at least 5 minutes to drain the excess liquid. Combine the lobster, cucumber mayonnaise, and tarragon. Add the scallions. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour. 

This is what I changed - I omitted the cucumber when preparing the lobster salad.  When I prepared the lobster meat I sprinkled it with 1/2 tsp of paprika, 1/2 tsp garlic, and a smidge of chilli powder (this is to taste). I coated the lobster well with this and let it chill together for 30 mins to an hour.  After chilling the seasoned meat I added everything else and folded it until just mixed. You do not want this runny, so add the may a little at a time.  When just bound together, set aside in the fridge. Take your cresent roll dough and spread it out flat.  Do not seperate the triangles -you need four rectangles of dough.  If they start to pull apart, gently pinch the edges back together.  Take your filling and spoon in enough to fill in the middle lengthwise. Fold the dough over and pinch the edges to seal.  Do this to all four.  Bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes and eat warm.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
We ended up having the lobster last night, with melted butter and Caesar salad. Tonight I made a gumbo using duck, crab and shrimp.
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 04:17:58 PM »
We ended up having the lobster last night, with melted butter and Caesar salad. Tonight I made a gumbo using duck, crab and shrimp.

That sounds like a really good gumbo combo!

I agree that lobster is a delicacy unto itself. I think the way you served it is perfect! ;D