Author Topic: Re: Coworker off probation - and now demanding we never complain again - UPDATE  (Read 9531 times)

Kari

Re: Coworker off probation - and now demanding we never complain again
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 08:47:35 AM »
Shelly is not being realistic and hasn't learned from her first probation. She needs to learn to fit the job requirements, not tweak the job requirements to fit her. Keep your bosses in the loop and document everything. It may feel mean, but remind yourself that it's Shelly who's the one that's not doing herself any favors. You're doing the right thing by following your boss's instructions.

MrTango

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 09:20:42 AM »
Shelly's request demand is totally out of line.  In my opinion, the fact that she even made that demand should be brought to the managers' attention.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 09:23:07 AM »
Shelly's request demand is totally out of line.  In my opinion, the fact that she even made that demand should be brought to the managers' attention.

I completely agree. There is no issue that I can see here. You must do as you have been asked by your management or you may all end up in trouble.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Biker Granny

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 10:31:29 AM »
Please report her.  The office I work in now has a few Shelley and the moral is very low.
It's not fair to you, your co-workers or your clients.

Now.....you could ask Shelley to convince you why you shouldn't report her.  Let her know that while you're willing to help out when needed, you don't have time to do both jobs.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 11:04:31 AM »

I completely agree. There is no issue that I can see here. You must do as you have been asked by your management or you may all end up in trouble.

This is what I was about to say.  I would report her demand to management.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

DollyPond

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 11:12:57 AM »
How did she pass Performance Improvement?  In our organization Performance Improvement is basically a warning that they intend to fire you in 45 days.  So best start making plans for that.  To my knowledge no one has passed.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »
In my organization, it is possible to come back from a PIP (Performance Improvement Plan).  But it does stay with you awhile, and if there is any backsliding, you can go back onto a PIP much quicker and with higher standards.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

doodlemor

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 01:03:18 PM »
Shelly is ridiculously out of line.  I POD everyone else here.  Report her.  Not doing so could put your own job in jeopardy when management finally catches here - and they will.

Browyn

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 01:23:46 PM »
...Fast forward to last week.  Shelly is officially completed her Performance Improvement Plan, but her work is slipping again, with open work sitting in her queue since November.  Per protocol set up by our bosses, I copied them on an email to Shelly asking her to catch up on the work that out of date...

Could you BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) your bosses instead?  That way you would be following procedure but she wouldn't know it?  I don't think she is long for that job anyway.  I'm sure her bosses see a lot more than she realizes.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 02:15:16 PM »
If I understand you correctly, her probationa ended and you dont have to copy the bosses but you did and she asked you not to do that again.

If there is no requirement to copy the bosses on a demand to her to catch up on her work, then don't but include a phrase that within a certain amount of time, if she does not address your concern that you will contact that bosses.

Finally, tell her that none of this would e a concern at all for anyone if she would just buckle down and do her job.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 02:36:04 PM »
You didn't make her stay up all night.  She made herself stay up all night.

"Shelly, just like you, I must follow the protocol our bosses set up." Repeat as needed.

And what was she up all night doing? Was it work?

I agree with the PPs... Send off a transcript of that chat, if you can, and report her to the bosses as needed. If she is unwilling or unable to do her job, she doesn't need to be there, and you report to the BOSSES not to HER.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

thedudeabides

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 02:44:23 PM »

This is what I was about to say.  I would report her demand to management.

She's asking you to engage in insubordination. So sorry, unable to comply.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 02:56:42 PM »
"Shelly, I am adhering to the protocol set up by our supervisor. Honestly, if you keep up with your work I have no reason to say anything. It is only when you get behind that I say anything because that affects our clients."

BeagleMommy

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 03:50:30 PM »
POD to keep emailing the bosses about Shelly's work habits.  It's what they asked you to do.  Not doing so, at Shelly's request or not, is unsubordination.  This could get you into hot water.

As for Kurt, I would urge him to express his feelings to management.  If they feel Shelly is causing valued employees to want to leave/transfer that may be the tipping point.

auntmeegs

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 04:14:15 PM »
This really is not a doozy at all, its' pretty simple actually.  You follow the procedures that your supervisors have instructed you to follow, it really doesn't matter at all that Shelly doesn't like it.