Author Topic: Live gifts at the white elephant exchange  (Read 7180 times)

magicdomino

Re: Live gifts at the white elephant exchange
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 05:09:42 PM »
I think the betta tank is fine, as long as the betta isn't included.  Likewise, the frog and butterfly kits are fine as long as there is a certificate for the tadpoles and caterpillers, and not actual live animals.  An empty habitat isn't living.

I think the the sea monkeys are okay too.  They packed as dormant eggs, and can stay that way for months -- in the wild, they are desert animals that wake up only when it rains long enough to make large puddles.  So, technically, they aren't living, and can easily be passed to someone who wants them.  (Is this a bad time to point out that they make boring pets, but excellent aquarium fish food?)

dawbs

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »
I rather dislike the betta because I find they take more care than people realize..and while in this instance many people wanted it, that wouldn't always be the case--someone could get 'stuck' with it.  And someone thinking "how AWESOME, I  want a fish!" at a party where they compete for one is different than being home, sober, reflective, etc with a fish and going "oh crap, now I have to figure out who can feed this sucker and make sure it doesn't become cat food"

The others don't bother me because the isn't a live animal.  It's the option to get/dehydrate and hatch/etc a live animal--one that the recipient can decline to ever exercise.

EMuir

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »
I thought the gift would be a betta too... wow.

And giving a betta is kind of a neat idea, if you believe that they really don't need that much space.  However, they really do need more than that, plus a heater:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

In short, if it's too good to be true, it really is.

magicdomino

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 05:20:46 PM »
I can't complain too much about the betta tank, because if this was the stealing type of game, I'd totally be going after that sucker.   :D  I want to choose my own fish though.

ETA:  I've had fish, including bettas, before, just need a new tank before I replace my last betta.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:37:58 PM by magicdomino »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2012, 05:25:29 PM »
For all 5 of those I would say - no.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2012, 05:27:11 PM »
Snarky and Evil had to ask, "was this gift exchange in a private home or a restaurant?"

"Because if it had been a SNAKE in that box at a restaurant....or even in a private home - you never know WHO is going to pick up the box.  Rodents are bad enough.  But even a tiny garter snake could really, really cause a panic....and a hostess might declare that she is never going to do THIS again!"
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »
Poor little guy.  What if the package was shaken as some people like to do that?

CreteGirl

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 07:46:11 PM »
A fish is a betta idea than a hamster.   >:D

Drawberry

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 07:48:43 PM »
RE: Small critters
There are a lot of small critters that people mistake as being low-maintenance because of their size. In some ways a small pet can be even more costly than a cat or dog. You can leave your cat or dog to roam the house all day unsupervised (for the most part) but you can't leave a hamster to it's own devices! it needs a cage, a large enough one to really be happy and not just one of those tiny shoe-box sized colorful plastic houses. It needs plenty of food and stuff to chew on, things to play with and run on, and bedding that has to be changed regularly unless you're prepared to handle hamster stank all day!

Fish, Betta in particular, are super misleading. When you see a Betta fish in those tiny dishes at a pet store it looks like they need little to no care at all but to raise them properly and give them long happy lives you need so much more.

Bottom line is this: Small animals are still living breathing creatures that need care and attention just like dogs and cats do in order to live long healthy and happy lives. They're not just throw-away animals that can sit around for decoration. That doesn't mean they're not cute or pretty or fun to watch, but it means that the animal being ALIVE trumps how much you want it to look 'pretty' on your shelf.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 09:37:47 PM »
Wow.  As someone who has been known to lecture people about 'using' live fish as centerpieces, this would NOT have gone over well in my presence. 

My response would have been non ehell approved and I don't care.  Something along the lines of are "you freaking kidding me?" and "who is the jerk who thought this was a good idea?" would have probably been my first reaction.

Oh dear... you've brought back a some-what painful, some-what sweet memory.

A cousin got married and left all the decorating to his wife. So they ended up with betta fish in vases as part of the flowers. Color coded bettas. *eye roll*

As the place was getting taken down after the reception someone asked her "what do you want to do with all these fish" her response was "Oh just toss them down the sink. They're just fish."

I dropped my jaw and looked at my mom. I think I might have been about to cry. Then my uncle ran to graba betta out of the sink and dropped it into a cup, sloshing some water from a diffrent vase into it. He gave Cousin a look and ask the caterers to find him some containers to send these "poor things" to a good home.

PS: Its really hard to find homes for sixteen live betta. I ended up with one living in my tropical tank. It lasted longer than the marriage, although her fish abuse wasn't what broke them up.

On-Topic: Poor hampster. I hope the hostess will give him a happy home or find someone who will.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

DaisyG

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »
My hamster was given to me as a present but I got the supplies myself and my husband took me to the pet shop and we picked out the hamster together for part of my Christmas present. This was almost 2 years ago and the hamster died last month (which I believe is about average lifespan). My parents also once bought my brother a budgie and all the supplies but mum and I were prepared to care for it if he didn't and we all knew he wanted a bird.

I don't think hamsters, birds, fish, tadpoles, caterpillars, etc. should be given as pets unless requested and the person is known to be a suitable caregiver or alternative care arrangements are available. The only exception I would give on live animals would be something like sea monkeys whose eggs can last without hatching for a while and could be passed on to someone who would care for them at that point.

I'm always upset about the goldfish given as prizes at fairs and so Kimblee's story touched me too.

Drawberry

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »
Wow.  As someone who has been known to lecture people about 'using' live fish as centerpieces, this would NOT have gone over well in my presence. 

My response would have been non ehell approved and I don't care.  Something along the lines of are "you freaking kidding me?" and "who is the jerk who thought this was a good idea?" would have probably been my first reaction.

A cousin got married and left all the decorating to his wife. So they ended up with betta fish in vases as part of the flowers. Color coded bettas. *eye roll*

As the place was getting taken down after the reception someone asked her "what do you want to do with all these fish" her response was "Oh just toss them down the sink. They're just fish."

I dropped my jaw and looked at my mom. I think I might have been about to cry. Then my uncle ran to graba betta out of the sink and dropped it into a cup, sloshing some water from a diffrent vase into it. He gave Cousin a look and ask the caterers to find him some containers to send these "poor things" to a good home.

PS: Its really hard to find homes for sixteen live betta. I ended up with one living in my tropical tank. It lasted longer than the marriage, although her fish abuse wasn't what broke them up.

On-Topic: Poor hampster. I hope the hostess will give him a happy home or find someone who will.

I'd probably have started crying,shrieking, and desperately trying to save all the fish I could.

What an awful woman.

magicdomino

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2012, 03:39:26 PM »
My office just had its Dirty Santa exchange.  I am proud to report that no animals were harmed in the process.  Harming of employees may be another question, since the gifts included a bottle of chardonney, a box of "table red" wine, and a Crown Royal bag full of miniature liquor bottles.  Indiscreet use could result in hangovers (says the winner of the wine box).   :)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2012, 07:17:02 PM »

I'd probably have started crying,shrieking, and desperately trying to save all the fish I could.

What an awful woman.

I was very tempted and would have if a fish had died.

Thankfully all fish survived the attempted homicide, and were relocated to happy homes after riding to my uncle's office in a bunch of sauce cups.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 11:27:56 AM »
Next year, you should bring one of these  >:D >:D >:D: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eb56/
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas