Author Topic: Live gifts at the white elephant exchange  (Read 7080 times)

mstigerlily

Re: Live gifts at the white elephant exchange
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 12:25:24 PM »
Next year, you should bring one of these  >:D >:D >:D: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eb56/

I have a firmly held rule that people should never give live pets as gifts. It comes from spending too much time with people who work as animal cruelty officers. 
Black Delphinium's suggestion would be a good exception.

catgal

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2012, 12:18:17 AM »
As someone who worked for an animal welfare organisation and who had to investigate animal cruelty, there is no way that I can support live animals as gifts. The only time that it is acceptable is, like other posters have mentioned, when the recipient is actively involved in the process and has the means and understanding to care for the animal.  I'm sure the person who brought along the hamster is a lovely person, but by not really thinking sensibly potentially put the hamster in harm's way. 
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 01:38:54 PM »
That's just...wow.

However, someone DID bring a live gift to a white elephant exchange I recently attended - in the form of two lobsters. It was quite popular and the person who won them enjoyed them immensely the next day.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 11:03:23 PM »
I can definitely attest to betta fish being a little harder to care for than I thought.  :(  My daughter bought a betta fish with her allowance, which we kept in a huge tank.  However, we tend to keep the house a bit on the cold side and we turn the heat off at night.  When the nights started getting colder, I noticed that the fish was looking a little less than well.  I talked to my husband and we ordered a heater.  However, when it came, I think I turned it too high too fast, and the water changed temperature too fast and shocked it, because it died.  :(  I felt really bad for killing my daughter's fish, and have promised her a new one when we move (the tank is drained right now).  And I will definitely have the tank preheated and ready next time, so there's no shock.  I had looked up the right temperature, but hadn't thought about the extreme change being too much too fast.  Poor Swimmy.

Emmy

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2012, 07:02:51 AM »
Terrible idea.  If an animal is given as a gift, the recipient should be aware, prepared, and willing to care for the animal.  It would be a terrible surprise to receive something like this, especially if it would cause problems and headaches arranging for the animal's care around traveling or a busy schedule.  I think a person who gives a gift like this is just as bad as a person who doesn't neuter their dog and tries to pawn the puppies off on others.  I agree that it is unlikely this 'gift' was picked just for the exchange and more likely an animal the giver just didn't wish to care for anymore.

Anyway this trumps the worst gift I have ever seen at a white elephant; a poinsettia plant with no flower, the stem was broken.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2012, 02:23:47 AM »
I'm well-known as being a thoroughgoing animal lover by everyone who knows me, and I'd be flabbergasted if I were surprised with a pet of any kind.  That is not a good thing to surprise someone with.
"After all this time?"
"Always."