Author Topic: The Breather  (Read 3792 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: The Breather
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 12:46:48 PM »
There is no polite way to ask someone not to breathe.

That made me laugh!  You're right there.  Not much of a way to do it politely.

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 12:51:04 PM »
Um I can't help but breathe heavy and loud when working out.  For one thing I am working out hard and another thing is my sinuses are wacky.  Right now I pant just sitting still.  Get some cheap headphones and block it out.  Asking someone to "Not breath so loud" at a gym is a bit special snowflakey.
93 93/93

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 01:01:13 PM »
It doesn't sound like he's doing the "showing off" type of breathing and grunting.  If he's older, the best thing for him is exercise so saying anything may embarrass him into stopping or doing less. 

Get the headphones.  Dollar stores sometimes have some.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 01:02:54 PM »
another vote for headphones.

There's almost certainly some physiological reason he breathes like that, and it's not rude. Grunting heavily while lifting weights can be kind of rude, I think, and some guys do it to show off how heavy the weight is--but darned if I know anything about how to stop it.

I sometimes grunt when i lift weights - I don't think it's rude, it's an involuntary reflex. Being obnoxious and over the top and really loud - may be showing off.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 01:07:40 PM »
For those of you who believe I am being snowflakey, I'm not.

This isn't normal workout type breathing. It's very, very VERY loud and it's constant. I get that he cannot help how he breathes. Wish I could post an audio link so you'd know what I'm saying.
The grunting with the weight lifting isn't like "ooh this is heavy"  - it's breathing AND grunting with every rep he does, both up and down. I can't describe it. But I know it also bothers my spouse when he comes with me.

I don't expect the poor guy not to breathe, as that IS ridiculous. However, he is so loud he blocks out all three televisions and people actually stare at him while he's working out.

Since the consensus is that it's rude for me to bring it up, then headphones it is. I'll just bring my phone with me and crank up the tunes.

"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

oogyda

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 01:12:47 PM »

This isn't normal workout type breathing. It's very, very VERY loud and it's constant. I get that he cannot help how he breathes. Wish I could post an audio link so you'd know what I'm saying.
The grunting with the weight lifting isn't like "ooh this is heavy"  - it's breathing AND grunting with every rep he does, both up and down. I can't describe it. But I know it also bothers my spouse when he comes with me.

I don't expect the poor guy not to breathe, as that IS ridiculous. However, he is so loud he blocks out all three televisions and people actually stare at him while he's working out.
Since the consensus is that it's rude for me to bring it up, then headphones it is. I'll just bring my phone with me and crank up the tunes.

Per the bolded: THEY are the ones being rude.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

IDriveADodgeStratus

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 01:21:28 PM »

Per the bolded: THEY are the ones being rude.

Agreed. Your update makes me believe even more that he has a medical condition and can't help it. I admire him for working out!

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 01:23:43 PM »

At my last race, which was run in the middle of the night,  my husband was waiting for me near the finish line. He said he knew I was coming several minutes before I crossed the finish because he could hear me breathing. In the dead of night, in the still desert air, I was probably a 1/4 mile or more out and he heard me breathing. I know I sound a bit like an angry seal when I run, and it probably annoys those around me, but I'm not being rude. It's the way I breath.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 01:29:20 PM »
Sounds like he can't help it. Probably a physical condition. I don't think you can say anything. I concur about earplugs or headphones. Mind you, I would probably find it annoying enough that I'd change my workout time so it doesn't coincide with his.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 01:31:32 PM »
I get that he cannot help how he breathes.

I don't think you're being snowflaky, but I'm confused; if he can't help how he breathes, what would be accomplished by asking him to stop/change?

It does sound frustrating to have to listen to, so I sympathize. It's just one of those Annoyances of Life that you have to shrug off before you go crazy!
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 01:37:44 PM »
Can you adjust when you work out a little earlier/later so you don't have to encounter him? I sympathize with you; I know that can be frustrating. But since he surely can't help it, your best bet is either the headphones or avoidance.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Shopaholic

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 01:43:13 PM »
I'm a heavy breather. Chronic allergies and a tendency towards sinus troubles.

My dad thinks it's perfectly all right to tell me to stop breathing so loudly.
Took me a while to get how ridiculous the entire situation was.
You can't tell someone not to breathe.

The guy most likely has a medical condition.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 01:48:25 PM »
My sister has some medical issues that make her a chronic mouthbreather. She also breathes very loudly and heavily while she exercises. She says she sounds like a lowing buffalo when she gets going, and it's a pretty apt comparison. She would be both mortified and livid if someone approached her to tell her to stop breathing.
Utah

Docslady21

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »

Lots of people who go to the gym feel vulnerable. It's weird to work out in public, sweating, breathing, flaws on display. I think any comment would mortify the poor man. I would be humiliated if someone said I breathe too loud while working out or make too much noise weightlifting.

Sorry you are so frustrated. It's understandable, but there's no polite way to approach this. =(

CaptainObvious

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 01:52:36 PM »

If you get that he he cannot help how he breathes, then what exactly did you expect him to do if you talked to him about it?