Author Topic: Advice on how to get my German Pyramid to Turn  (Read 2930 times)

Shabooty

Advice on how to get my German Pyramid to Turn
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:03:43 PM »
I purchased a German pyramid while on vacation.  You can see what it looks like here: http://www.europeangiftpalace.com/Wooden-Christmas-Pyramids/Mueller-Christmas-Pyramids/1-tier-pyramid-Winter-motif-32-cm-13-inch::7262.html

When I lit the tea lights, nothing happened and I realized that the flames were too far from the paddles.  Why it was constructed in a manner that makes the piece nonfunctional, I'll never know.  So I bought larger votives that fit perfectly in the candle holders and I had success.  The problem?  The votives dripped all over the place.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get this thing to work?  I still can't believe that it was constructed this way.  (p.s.  Taking it back to the place I bought it is not an option.)

amylouky

Re: Advice on how to get my German Pyramid to Turn
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »
Those can be tricky. I used to have one. It really should be able to work with very small candles, but..
You have to make sure the paddles are angled just right to catch the heat updraft. You also have to make sure the whole thing is located in a place that doesn't get much air flow (not near a vent, fan, window, or high traffic area) otherwise the hot air will disperse before it can rise enough to move the paddles.
Good luck!

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 01:37:24 PM »
I have a couple of ideas that you might try with the original candles (in case you haven't already).

1. Check where the bottom end of the spindle is. Is it on its intended pivot point? My pyramid has a little glass "button" with a slightly concave upper surface that the end of the metal spindle is supposed to rest on. When it's on the glass button, it spins very freely, but if it wasn't, there would be a lot more frictional resistance (not to mention the metal spindle possibly tearing up wood on the base of the pyramid). If yours has gotten off of its intended pivot, that could be why you need some extra airflow from bigger candles to get it spinning. If for any reason it doesn't spin easily when you turn it by hand, or it stops really quickly after you spin it, then the problem probably isn't the candles.

2. Are the blades of the fan fixed or do you insert each blade into the fan individually? If they're separate, try playing with the angle. I think a shallower angle (i.e., with the blade surface closer to horizontal) might help it get moving with the smaller candles. Be willing to wait a few minutes to see if it gets moving or give it a nudge to get it started and see if the candles keep it spinning (the shallower blade angle should catch more of the updraft from the candles, but less of the updraft force will be pushing it in the "spin" direction, so try a few angles).

One thing to remember is that it takes more force to start the thing spinning and speed up the rotation (in technical terms, to accelerate it) than it does to keep it spinning at a constant speed. Since you can't "turn up" the candles at the beginning and then turn them down once it's up to speed, the candle size and position has to be designed for the constant speed. That means it's going to be slow getting started, especially if you've just lit the candles and they're still warming up and melting enough wax to get a good flame going. It might just need a little more time or a nudge.

snowfire

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »
And if you still have to use the larger votives, can you find glass or metal cups to put them in that will fit the holders but catch the wax?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:42:20 PM »
Also, they work better in a colder room, so there's a greater temperature differential with the hot air from the candles.

Edited because I can grammar.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:37:01 AM by Ms_Cellany »
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

snowflake

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 06:55:36 PM »
Nothing new to add, but the paddles MUST be angled.  And it really does take awhile for the heat flow to get going.  You will have to be patient.

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 09:30:13 AM »
Interesting -- my pyramids (which I've had since I was born in Germany so they may not be made that way anymore) have longer tapers (four inches or so) to power them as opposed to tealights/votives.  As the others have stated, the fan blades have to be at the right angle, and it helps to give them a little push to get them started.  Also, the candle holders on my pyramids slide in and out (to make a wider or more narrow circle of candles) and I have to move them in and out to get the best heat rise to move the blades.  My largest pyramid works the best - it has eight candles around it.  I have two smaller ones with three candles each that don't work as easily.

Shabooty

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »
OP here.  Thanks to all!  I changed the angle of my paddles last night and popped the tiny votives back in and it worked.  It really does have to be far away from drafts, though, which is disappointing.  I wanted to have it lit and running on my kitchen island while entertaining, but I don't think that will work with traffic breezing in and out of the area.

Thanks again!

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 02:59:05 AM »
Huh.  I've always seen those, and never knew what they were.  The one you linked to is gorgeous, though! :D I really do want one like that now. :)

I'm a sucker for kitsch and knickknacks... :)