Author Topic: ...and then the dog ate the cookies  (Read 1205 times)

AylaM

...and then the dog ate the cookies
« on: December 17, 2012, 05:48:59 PM »
I don't know what to call this: karma, justice, luck, or whatever.  But I wanted to share the story below and hopefully hear some of yours in return.

I've been a little ticked off all day.  I live in my parent's house with my grandmother.  We were both doing our own separate baking for the holidays this year.  I set aside today to do my baking and at the last minute changed my mind about the type of cookies I was going to make, so needed to run to the store.

I got back from the store with the last ingredient and saw that grandma had taken over the kitchen for her baking (again).  She'd known I was planning on doing this today and while I made my preparations she never said a thing about her plans, though she helped me to gather everything.  I don't know if she thought shed be done sooner or if she didn't realize that my plans called for making approximately 20 dozen cookies.  Whatever it was, it put a bit of a damper in my plans.

She took the kitchen over all day.  When she finished her baking she asked if I wanted the oven left on for my baking.  I did.  So I cleaned up my stuff, changed my clothes, pulled back my hair, and found my recipe.  I went downstairs and she'd left the oven on for me.  But had taken over the counter for making stuff for tomorrow.   And put it in the mixing bowl I'd pulled out.  (The only one big enough to make multiple batches in, but not the only one she could have put the food in)

So I won't get to my baking any time soon.  I was upset.  But felt silly for being upset because I can always bake on Wednesday too.

Then, not ten minutes ago, the dog got a wiff of her cookies.  He's good 99% of the time, but sometimes he does something naughty.  He pulled the cloth off the table, knocking the cookies on the floor, and then he ate the cookies. 

And now I'm not so mad anymore.

ETA: I don't think he got more than 10-15 cookies to fall.  But it still made me feel better.  I'd have felt bad if he'd gotten them all.  Grandma still has 150+ cookies.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 06:58:42 PM by AylaM »

Frostblooded

Re: ...and then the dog ate the cookies
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 06:04:09 PM »
Oh gosh! I hope those weren't cookies with chocolate.  :'( I don't know how many there were, but make sure the dog isn't poisoned if so.

demarco

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 06:11:44 PM »
This story made me laugh out loud.  Nothing in my kitchen is safe unless it is in a cabinet or on top of a tall appliance (Labrador Retriever). 

AylaM

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »
Oh gosh! I hope those weren't cookies with chocolate.  :'( I don't know how many there were, but make sure the dog isn't poisoned if so.

He'll be ok.  He didn't gobble down all of the cookies, but he did knock them onto the floor so grandma couldn't use them any more.

At that point they were little more than biscuits, and with the exception of the sugar (and the fact that the flour wasn't whole wheat) everything in them is also in recipes for dog biscuits.  They hadn't been frosted yet so they weren't even particularly sweet.  So while they weren't particularly good for him, he isn't going to die. 

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 10:39:41 PM »
I think you are a teensy bit justified for a prjvately-enjoyed smile.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 01:01:21 AM »
I believe what you are feeling is a tiny bit of schadenfreude.  Not a lot, but just a leetle
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »
I just have to mention that you have the most awesome title for a thread!!    I loved it!

Girlie

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 04:58:59 PM »
lol. I think you're alright for having a private moment of enjoyment to yourself - after all, no one really got hurt - Grandma still has plenty of cookies, and the dog will be okay. :)

All in all, I think you're fine - perhaps better than I myself would have been in the same situation, because I would have called Grandma out on taking over the kitchen in the first place.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 05:10:59 PM »

There is a joke with one of my friends at work that if she ever wants to get rid of something she will just give it to me because too many things end with "...and then i left it on the counter and the dog ate it." Last time it was my DD coffee mug.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem