Author Topic: You are always eating  (Read 4687 times)

kayesse

You are always eating
« on: December 18, 2012, 05:11:39 AM »
BG - over the last year I've lost 15kg which has not been easy and colleague A is vegan and also lost a dress size. 
I work in a small office of around 10-15 people (depending on who is remotely working) with a communal kitchen.
Today I saw colleague A at morning tea, at lunch I was at a local restaurant with colleague B where colleague A and her partner took the table next to us and then ran into colleague A in the kitchen mid afternoon. Colleague A then remarked that 'You are always eating'
The non e-hell approved phrase was running through my head 'Well how else did you think I got  fat to start with' so said nothing and also the other phrase of 'don't dignify that comment with a response'
I think it might have been a thoughtless comment and not intended with any malice and I may be a bit sensitive about the issue. Is silence and letting it go the best way to deal with it? I don't see the point in creating more issues because people are tired and cranky enough this time of year but I dont want to receive any more of those comments.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: You are always eating
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 05:16:22 AM »
You did the right thing.  This doesn't deserve a response.

You also pointed out why I will never work for a very small company again.  Most people in them just get way too personal.

cutejellybeen

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:46:57 AM »
I think you definitely did the right thing by saying nothing. Had that been me, I know I would have been caught off guard and said something to the effect of always seeing her in the kitchen / out for lunch too.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 11:17:52 AM »
People seem to think that when you are trying to lose weight you give up eating.  OP, I think you were perfectly right in ignoring her comment.  It was probably her brain-to-mouth filter malfunctioning.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 02:48:29 PM »
I think it might have been a thoughtless comment and not intended with any malice and I may be a bit sensitive about the issue.

This.  My favorite advice is to be blissful and stupid.  Happily assume the coworker meant well (and here I didn't get a sense of malice at all, but I know in some situations it's there).  I would have just laughed and said something like, "We do seem to be on the same schedule today, don't we!" 

onyonryngs

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »
I think it might have been a thoughtless comment and not intended with any malice and I may be a bit sensitive about the issue.

This.  My favorite advice is to be blissful and stupid.  Happily assume the coworker meant well (and here I didn't get a sense of malice at all, but I know in some situations it's there).  I would have just laughed and said something like, "We do seem to be on the same schedule today, don't we!"

Yes, a "Ha!  So do you!" would take care of it pretty neatly.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »
It sounds like a joke about how you keep meeting to me. She was also eating both times you saw her. It sounds like a variation on, "We have to stop meeting like this!" when you run into someone several times in a day. It doesn't sound like it had anything to do with your eating habits. But maybe I'm missing something.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

kayesse

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 05:32:45 PM »
Thank you  for the responses. I really appreciate the feedback from an external perspective.  I like the idea of being blissfully ignorant and will stay in my own  little world and be blissfully cheerful.