Author Topic: What gift have you made that you're proud of?  (Read 1877 times)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
What gift have you made that you're proud of?
« on: December 18, 2012, 11:32:28 AM »
I am not a person who is good at art but I have made a pair of boxing glove Christmas tree ornaments for a friend and I am very pleased with them. They have turned out jolly well, if you stand back a bit and squint. Glitter glue over spray paint seems to have worked.

What have you made this year that you are proud of? Boast a little bit and keep me company :-)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:47:21 PM by Bethalize »

AylaM

Re: What gift have you made that you're proud of?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:48:59 AM »
I saw some ornaments in a magazine that I thought my grandma would like.  Birthstone ornaments with names of grandkids.  They were too expensive to buy enough for all the grandkids ($12 x 17).

So I bought a few packs of glass ornaments and some paint from Michaels and made my own.  They came out well.  Only downside is as I finished the last one I realized that it was noticeably smaller than all the reset.

Baby Snakes

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »
I crocheted a Christmas Tree Skirt.  It is lovely, dark red with white glittery trim and it's turned out to be the cat's favorite snoozing place!

Girlie

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
I am terrible at MAKING things, but I'm excellent at organizing when I need to, and I do make excellent gift baskets if I do say so myself. :) I'm terrible at finding "big" gifts to buy someone, but I do a relatively good job of finding lots of "small" gifts that fit a certain individual.

I am proud of the gift baskets I've put together, because I know how much work and time and effort and money went into them. :)

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 12:55:41 PM »
Needlepoint belts for all the men in my life, and needlepoint stockings for all of my nieces and nephews.

They are, if I may say so, beautiful.

JennJenn68

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 01:01:34 PM »
All the gifts that I make that I'm most proud of are edible.  When my mother was still living, it used to be an annual tradition that she would make "nuts and bolts" and caramel popcorn for the four of us every year (my parents, my brother, and myself).  Since she passed away, I've expanded the operation to include almost everyone on my gift list--and the list seems to grow longer every year as new people taste them and beg for a sample themselves!  I go through a heck of a lot of butter in December because I also do my mother's famous whipped shortbread cookies (also used as gifts).  It's the only time of year that I buy butter, and I'm always watching for it to go on sale... These things take ages to make because they all require a slow oven, so I'm glad that people appreciate them!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »
Jewelry,  mostly necklaces.  The ones I make for friends are individual and are usually not made in duplicate for sale.

nayberry

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 01:19:18 PM »
i knitted a scarf using fancy wool (5 stitches per row only)  http://www.kingcole.co.uk/knitting-yarns/fancy-yarns/krystal.html
 as my secret santa to a friend,  considering how i'm a basic one type of stitch knitter i'm over the moon with how it's turned out and i hope she likes it :)

123sandy

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
This thread would be much better with pictures... ;D

CLE_Girl

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 02:01:07 PM »
I made my husband a guitar strap this year and I am super proud of it. 

He has been looking for a black on black or gray on black paisley print strap like he saw on some old school classic rock star.  All the paisley print straps he found were really abnoxious (too bright, too vintage, too contrasty).  So off to JoAnn's I went and when I found a silver on black brocade I knew it was what he wanted.  I had to dye an old seat belt black, buy a cheap guitar strap to cut apart, make a 60x2 inch strip of the material and peice it all together.  It looks AWSOME! 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 02:01:11 PM »

Rolled out some clay, then did my handprint, then Babybartfast's on top of it, then Bittybartfast's on top of that.  Babybartfast helped me decorate around the edges, then I pulled out her watercolors and added the color in.  Once I figure out how to ship them, they're going to the (great-)grandparents  :)

nayberry

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 02:02:21 PM »

i forgot to take one :(   but the linkie has one which is very similar to it

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 02:45:54 PM »
I knit a sweater for my Dad almost every year.  I know he'll wear them and he's getting to the age where his mantra is, 'If I can't eat, drink it or wear it, don't buy it for me.'  This year's is getting close to being done - it has Canada geese on it.  I may have to wrap up the pieces for under the tree because I have two hats that need to be done by the time I get to my brother's on Christmas Eve!

I make a ton of cookies that I love to put on trays I get from the dollar store.  I take one to any work Christmas function, I take one to Christmas Cheer for the workers when I do my volunteer shift, I give one to 3 or 4 different neighbours and I give one to a couple of friends that I don't generally buy for.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 02:49:41 PM »

Agreed! I've updated my post.

The thumbs on the boxing gloves go out not in, which is wrong, but that's because they were originally mitten ornaments. I sanded off the original paint and turned them gold. Of course, I sanded the original colour off, turned them gold and found out I should have used a base layer to stop the old pattern showing through so had to sand them off again and redo them.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 03:09:27 PM »
I've posted this in the Crafty section.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jayendee/December112012#5820509631582064274

It's a star shaped crocheted blanket, queen bed size, worked in the round.  It was originally for the spare bedroom, but Housemate fell in love and has dropped a few hints.  I've started on a different one for the spare room now!   ;D