Author Topic: What gift have you made that you're proud of?  (Read 1876 times)

SoCalVal

Re: What gift have you made that you're proud of?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »
I'm not going to be falsely humble here; I'm typically proud of the gifts I've made (I have a bit of a perfectionist streak so I will keep working on something until it's pretty much how I want it), and I take pictures for my records and make notes if I ever want to do them again.  I love crafting (and baking and cooking).

My favorites:

- Made personalized, themed family gift baskets for DF's family and my niece and nephew for Christmas 2009 and 2010.  One couple is very fond of their pets so as a jokey gift-basket container, I used a brand new litter box and put in pet-related gifts.
- Scanned ALL of DF's family photos, made DVDs and a calendar for each of his cousin's families on his mother's side and for FBIL and FSIL for Christmas 2011.  Each calendar had pics specific to that month (this was one of my biggest projects; scanning took many many hours then designing the calendar also took several hours)
- I'm making rosaries and chaplets for my wedding and each bead is individually wire-wrapped.  I did several test chaplets and rosaries before I figured out my final design.
- My biggest gift project ever -- I turned someone's house into a giant advent calendar with that person's favorite hobby as the theme (let's say Hello Kitty -- but, really, it totally wasn't Hello Kitty; it was his favorite hobby) .  It was a big house with lots of cabinets so I took red and green card stock (about a 1/4 page size), stamped them with each day's date (like Dec 1, Dec 2, and so on), stamped them with a Hello Kitty rubber stamp (I bought several).  Each door had one card with the date on it.  Behind each door, there was a gift bag with a Hello Kitty Christmas ornament (the actual hobby was really hard to find the ornaments for; I spent a lot of time on eBay shopping for the perfect ornaments).  Each gift bag also had a card on it with that day's date and Hello Kitty rubber-stamped on it (I tried rubber-stamping the bags directly, but it didn't go well).  The door cards' rubber-stamping was also etched (for those not familiar, you take glitter and put it on the rubber-stamp image then take a heat gun which melts the glitter onto the rubber-stamp image; it's a pretty cool effect).  Before putting the ornaments in the bags, I mapped out on a spreadsheet which ornament would be given on what date so each week had a theme (Hawaiian Hello Kitty, Halloween Hello Kitty, etc.).  I loved how this project turned out; too bad the person I did it for was not so enamored (not his kind of thing, even though it was totally based on his favorite hobby).  It's okay; I'd love to do it again when DF and I have kids.  It really was a fun project, and a lot of time and love went into it.
- I made a diaper cake for DF's cousin's wife.  It was very simple, but I was very happy with how it turned out.  Unlike most of the diaper cake images I researched online, the diapers were grouped in a spiral circle, not rolled up individually.  I thought the layers had a better look as a spiraled circle.

Next Christmas (since I don't have time to do it this Christmas), I'd like to make the females in my life these adorable ruffled scarves (Red Heart has the instructions for both knitting and crocheting).  I saw them at a holiday bazaar a few weeks ago and while I wouldn't have bought one there (they were about $25 each), I'm very interested in making them myself.

ETA -- I meant "embossing," not "etching" (I thought that didn't sound right, but I haven't done any rubber-stamping since 2007 when I did that project).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:08:34 AM by SoCalVal »

katcheya

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 03:59:22 PM »
I made the this for my mom.  Took me forever!

http://www.monsterpatterns.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1407

alkira6

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »
I tend to do theme gifts based on what hobby has caught my attention that year, as well as give baked goods and spiced nuts as gifts. Some that I'm particularly proud of

- Making liquer gift sets. I made pomegranite liquer, spiced cherry brandy, blackberry liquer, and plum brandy in truly massive quantities. For each set I bottled a small 12 oz bottle of each, created and printed a little booklet with recipes, and included stirrers and long handled measuring spoons.  This was a hit.
- from above, when I strained out the cherry brandy I reserved the cherries and made cordial cherries. I also kept a small jar of the cherries and used them to top a black forest tort. There were no leftovers!
- pottery. Each person got a lidded jar (once I finally got the hang of making flanged lids) and they were filled with homemade peanut and cashew brittle
- the quilt I made my mom. Wedding ring pattern in a queen size. It took me FOREVER but she loves it

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 04:16:58 PM »
I've posted this in the Crafty section.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jayendee/December112012#5820509631582064274

It's a star shaped crocheted blanket, queen bed size, worked in the round.  It was originally for the spare bedroom, but Housemate fell in love and has dropped a few hints.  I've started on a different one for the spare room now!   ;D
A big fat double wow-wow on that.  Gorgeous!!!!!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »
I'm not going to be falsely humble here; I'm typically proud of the gifts I've made (I have a bit of a perfectionist streak so I will keep working on something until it's pretty much how I want it), and I take pictures for my records and make notes if I ever want to do them again.  I love crafting (and baking and cooking).

My favorites:

- Made personalized, themed family gift baskets for DF's family and my niece and nephew for Christmas 2009 and 2010.  One couple is very fond of their pets so as a jokey gift-basket container, I used a brand new litter box and put in pet-related gifts.
- Scanned ALL of DF's family photos, made DVDs and a calendar for each of his cousin's families on his mother's side and for FBIL and FSIL for Christmas 2011.  Each calendar had pics specific to that month (this was one of my biggest projects; scanning took many many hours then designing the calendar also took several hours)
- I'm making rosaries and chaplets for my wedding and each bead is individually wire-wrapped.  I did several test chaplets and rosaries before I figured out my final design.
- My biggest gift project ever -- I turned someone's house into a giant advent calendar with that person's favorite hobby as the theme (let's say Hello Kitty -- but, really, it totally wasn't Hello Kitty; it was his favorite hobby) .  It was a big house with lots of cabinets so I took red and green card stock (about a 1/4 page size), stamped them with each day's date (like Dec 1, Dec 2, and so on), stamped them with a Hello Kitty rubber stamp (I bought several).  Each door had one card with the date on it.  Behind each door, there was a gift bag with a Hello Kitty Christmas ornament (the actual hobby was really hard to find the ornaments for; I spent a lot of time on eBay shopping for the perfect ornaments).  Each gift bag also had a card on it with that day's date and Hello Kitty rubber-stamped on it (I tried rubber-stamping the bags directly, but it didn't go well).  The door cards' rubber-stamping was also etched (for those not familiar, you take glitter and put it on the rubber-stamp image then take a heat gun which melts the glitter onto the rubber-stamp image; it's a pretty cool effect).  Before putting the ornaments in the bags, I mapped out on a spreadsheet which ornament would be given on what date so each week had a theme (Hawaiian Hello Kitty, Halloween Hello Kitty, etc.).  I loved how this project turned out; too bad the person I did it for was not so enamored (not his kind of thing, even though it was totally based on his favorite hobby).  It's okay; I'd love to do it again when DF and I have kids.  It really was a fun project, and a lot of time and love went into it.
- I made a diaper cake for DF's cousin's wife.  It was very simple, but I was very happy with how it turned out.  Unlike most of the diaper cake images I researched online, the diapers were grouped in a spiral circle, not rolled up individually.  I thought the layers had a better look as a spiraled circle.

Next Christmas (since I don't have time to do it this Christmas), I'd like to make the females in my life these adorable ruffled scarves (Red Heart has the instructions for both knitting and crocheting).  I saw them at a holiday bazaar a few weeks ago and while I wouldn't have bought one there (they were about $25 each), I'm very interested in making them myself.
When I was doing jewelry, I loved doing the chaplets.  I was very happy when my granddaughter whom I taught to do wire work, made one for her boyfriend's grandmother.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

dawbs

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »
I love that knit scarf.

I'll be able to say after Christmas how popular it was with the 2-year-old recipient but, my kid is getting a crayon-Bandolier for Christmas.
(I was making her a crayon roll and my husband said how much cooler it would be as a Bandolier.  I couldn't find directions for that, of course (although there's an etsy seller who makes them and I did watch her 'how I do this' video...but she actually knows how to sew decently so that was't helpful  ;D.  I just started tweaking crayon roll directions on the fly)

(it buttons on the back so it can button closed--as a roll, and is slightly adjustable.)

(edited because image =/= url)

nayberry

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 05:28:43 PM »
I've posted this in the Crafty section.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jayendee/December112012#5820509631582064274

It's a star shaped crocheted blanket, queen bed size, worked in the round.  It was originally for the spare bedroom, but Housemate fell in love and has dropped a few hints.  I've started on a different one for the spare room now!   ;D
A big fat double wow-wow on that.  Gorgeous!!!!!

+1, wish i could crochet!!  that is beautiful

Lynnv

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »
I made about 8 dozen jars of jam and jelly this year.  They will be gone by New Year's, with a few people holding out hope that I have a leftover jar or two (which happens from time to time).

I am making cookies, which I haven't done in years.  I am up to about 6 dozen assorted cookies.  Baking is not my best thing, but I have been working on it a lot since I got laid off and it is getting better (and I am gaining confidence, so am trying more things).

And, my personal favorites, I made a host of little and big glass gifts this year.  My favorite is the Saturn I made for DH's classroom.  It will hang with the Jupiter I made him several years ago.  I think he will love it. 

Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
LynnV, I love the Saturn!

Learning to do stained glass is on my bucket list.

figleaf

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 06:45:03 PM »
I etched two beer steins I bought at World Market with DHs initial. I really like how they turned out. I'm 125 miles away from them right now, so I can't take a picture.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 06:52:28 PM »
I'm in the process of making the girls rag dolls.  If they turn out well, I'll post a picture.  So far, so good...

The gifts that are pictured are beautiful!

yokozbornak

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 11:46:45 PM »
Oops....I'm removing this because my oldest DD was looking over my shoulder and saw it!  Need to remove all evidence of the Christmas surprise!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:38:42 AM by yokozbornak »

SoCalVal

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 12:32:35 AM »

I want to learn that, too.  I didn't even know classes were available until a guy I dated several years ago was taking a stained glass class in SF.  I also want to learn glass-blowing and sculpting since I stand a better chance of finding classes in my area that teach those things than classes in sugar art and working with modeling chocolate.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 11:03:17 AM »
Mine this year is cookies - 13 dozen of them, plus five loaves of pumpkin bread and a huge double batch of hard candy. Getting it all mailed off this afternoon.

Next year I'm making a tent with PVC poles for ny niece for her May birthday. We were going to do it this year, but with all that's happened since Thanksgiving in the family, I just don't have time or effort to spare.

Lynnv

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 11:11:24 AM »

I want to learn that, too.  I didn't even know classes were available until a guy I dated several years ago was taking a stained glass class in SF.  I also want to learn glass-blowing and sculpting since I stand a better chance of finding classes in my area that teach those things than classes in sugar art and working with modeling chocolate.

I have taken a couple of torch-work classes (making beads), but decided I just couldn't manage to get that all set up at home.  My next big thing is that I really (really, really, really) want a kiln so I can do fusing and slumping.  Sigh.  But I can't justify it right now for a hobby.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments about Saturn!  I posted him a while back when he got done (in another thread), but he really is the best of the lot this year.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein