Author Topic: What gift have you made that you're proud of?  (Read 1874 times)

Ereine

Re: What gift have you made that you're proud of?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 11:45:02 AM »

Some years ago I made a shadowbox for my mother. I printed her parents' wedding picture on fabric, there's also some items from their home (my grandfather had passed away and my grandmother had moved to an assisted living facility). The quote is from a poem my grandmother's father wrote to her when she was a child, "Walk with your eyes open in the world".

I've made quite many presents over the years but at the moment I can't really remember any that I was particularly proud of, though I liked them all. This year some people will get prints I made at a printmaking class. I guess that I'm proud of them, getting them sort of right took a lot of effort (my first attempt at it was quite pitiful). It's a portrait of a jackdaw. http://pinterest.com/pin/441000988481202992/

heartmug

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 01:18:23 PM »
I've posted this in the Crafty section.

https://picasaweb.google.com/jayendee/December112012#5820509631582064274

It's a star shaped crocheted blanket, queen bed size, worked in the round.  It was originally for the spare bedroom, but Housemate fell in love and has dropped a few hints.  I've started on a different one for the spare room now!   ;D

SO PRETTY!
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 01:30:49 PM »
I am loving these pictures. So much talent! It makes my little boxing glove ornaments look er, cute  ;D The impressive projects don't have glitter glue though :-P

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 02:28:40 PM »
I am loving these pictures. So much talent! It makes my little boxing glove ornaments look er, cute  ;D The impressive projects don't have glitter glue though :-P

Hey, I thought about glitter....    >:D

Lynnv

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 05:41:37 PM »

Hey, I thought about glitter....    >:D

There was glitter on my (purchased) holiday cards this year.  So now there is glitter on my floor, my walls, my bed, my computer, my rocking chair, and the darn cats.  Glitter is evil.  People who work with it have a special kind of bravery going on.  :>
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 08:46:38 PM »
There was glitter on my (purchased) holiday cards this year.  So now there is glitter on my floor, my walls, my bed, my computer, my rocking chair, and the darn cats.  Glitter is evil.

I made the same mistake.  Herpes of the craft world, it's known as.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lynnetteleigh

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 09:27:40 PM »
I test ran this before making it but I made peppermint sugar scrub for my sisters and mother. http://www.theidearoom.net/2012/11/peppermint-candy-cane-sugar-scrub.html

A lot cheaper than buying the prepackaged sugar scrub and I loved how tingly the peppermint essential oils made my skin. Also super easy to make.

Not sure how the giftees will react, but I loved it.

snowfire

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »
For DH's birthday last year I did a shadowbox frame with a picture of his Dad in his military uniform with all his medals displayed.
I found a deep hinged frame that had originally been used in a retail store knife display.  I pulled the insert out, cut a piece of foamcore to fit, covered it with deep navy blue velvet.  I found one of the only pics of FIL in his uniform, scanned it and blew it up to 8x10, retouched any flaws on the picture and printed it on nice photo paper. (The original picture now lives in a fireproof safe.) Mounted that on foamcore as well and blackened the edges.  FIL's wings are above the picture, his rank stripes on one side and unit badge on the other.  His medals and the matching ribbons are across the bottom.  (I had to hunt online for the proper order to display the ribbons in, I'm not military but I wanted to do it properly.)  A friend of ours is making a nice box to hold the flag from FIL's casket, all the ones I've seen in stores have looked cheap.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 10:49:36 PM »
I made my first quilt! I had some quilt squares passed down to me that were made by my great-grandmother's quilting circle in the late 60s, but I never did anything with it because I don't quilt. But a fabulous coworker who's a part-time professional quilter helped me make them into a lap quilt. I'm giving it to my mom for Christmas. It was her grandma, and they were very close.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 11:04:28 PM »
When I was little I made a slipper holder for my dad in the shape of a cardboard dog up in the traditional begging/slipper holding position. The slippers went on his paws. ;D It really worked too! I don't have a pic. :(

It is still the gift I am the most proud of because the idea was creative, was all mine and I made it by hand.

Anyone feel free to use the idea btw if they have a man in their life who likes to wear slippers - but you have to draw the dog and cut it out yourself. ;)

~*~*~*~*
ETA: I am also proud of the year I surprised the two kids I was nanny for (love them and miss them so) - I housesat while they visited family for Xmas and while they were gone I premade a bunch of food and cleaned and organized the house (gift for their mom!) and then I cleaned the kids rooms, organized their toys, and decorated their walls with pics and posters of their favorite things - superheros for the boy and fairies and princesses for the girl. They were so happy when they came home and couldn't wait to show-off their rooms to their friends. ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:13:20 PM by Softly Spoken »
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Melde

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »
I dyed this silk scarf with natural materials and gave it to my psychiatrist. I have known her since I was 13, and she has always been interested and supportive of my art.

doodlemor

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 04:05:49 PM »
When I was young and not flush with funds I made my brother a sports jacket for Christmas.  By sports jacket I mean a suit type jacket in a typical style, but I didn't make pants to go with it.

It was a lot harder than I had anticipated, and took a lot of time.  There was a secretary in our building who was an excellent seamstress, and she showed me how to make bound button holes.

I finally finished the thing on Christmas Eve, which was on a day that businesses were still open.  I was discouraged at first, because it looked so limp and.......funny.  However, I took it immediately to a dry cleaner for a professional pressing, and it came out beautiful, just the way it was supposed to be. 

My brother was happily surprised.

workingmum

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2012, 03:33:36 AM »
My gran and I made this for my daughter. I also made a bigger one in shades of purple for my sister for xmas a few years ago

"I sold my soul for freedom - it's lonely but it's sweet" -Melissa Etheridge