Author Topic: Giving someone the cut direct.  (Read 4633 times)

ellebelle

• I am L^2 and my favorite color is Damask
Re: Giving someone the cut direct.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 09:08:52 AM »
OP I do have a question...how does your brother plan to act with the aunt? What are his plans? Have you spoken with your brother about how he might want to handle the situation. I'm not saying that you have to play nice, but I believe you should take your cues from the person who was slighted in this situation.
- Well behaved women rarely make history

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 09:20:43 AM »
Keep a listing of local movie times available.  If things start getting nasty excuse yourself and go to the movies. If your brother is there take him too.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »
I dunno, leaving a party to go to the movies seems a bit extreme. I like iridaceae's "bladder infection" excuse. The bonus is that you get to shake your fists and (quietly) lose your temper while running the bathroom sink.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »
I dunno, leaving a party to go to the movies seems a bit extreme. I like iridaceae's "bladder infection" excuse. The bonus is that you get to shake your fists and (quietly) lose your temper while running the bathroom sink.

The reality is that if arguing and insulting a guest or host's relative breaks out the situation is already extreme.   

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 12:35:25 PM »
OP I do have a question...how does your brother plan to act with the aunt? What are his plans? Have you spoken with your brother about how he might want to handle the situation. I'm not saying that you have to play nice, but I believe you should take your cues from the person who was slighted in this situation.

This. If he doesn't want an open break, I wouldn't create one.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 12:52:35 PM »
Bladder infection. Keep running off to the bathroom if you get near her and if anyone asks you have a bladder infection.

This. is. GOLD!
Its good, but I still like the one about the cats on fire!

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 01:03:07 PM »
There already seems to be so much drama going on that the cut direct would just add fuel to the drama flames. Like the others say, be civil, but don't engage.

And maybe go for a run for ice.

I will also mention that I dislike the "fake sickness" plan. I had never thought of it before ehell and now it is suggested so often, I start to wonder when people say they are ill. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 04:39:12 PM »
The thing w/ the cut direct is, it is really uncomfortable for the innocent bystanders. So be cool and distant, and leave immediately any group that she approaches.

But keep in mind that keeping the drama low is a gift to all the other relatives.

JacklynHyde

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 11:06:56 AM »
As someone who is itching to give the cut direct to a relative I must see at least once or twice a year, I can attest it is much better to give a cut INdirect for the time being.  Be cool, even cold, but keep your personal feelings from hurting others.  If it's a big family party, turn yourself into a human chess piece and move yourself from room to room as needed.  Don't engage the nasty.

Good luck!