Author Topic: Ideas for a Christmas Morning Brunch  (Read 2642 times)

Roe

• Super Hero!
Ideas for a Christmas Morning Brunch
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:10:10 PM »
I just got a call from my brother and...surprise...he and his family are coming to visit us for Christmas!  :) 

Though I am super-excited, I hadn't planned on having company so now I have to do some cooking and grocery shopping that I wasn't expecting to do.  (along with everything else)

So to make it easy on me, I was thinking a Christmas morning brunch would be the way to go.  Any ideas or recipes you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. 

TIA! 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Ideas for a Christmas Morning Brunch
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:40:39 PM »
A red & green frittata or quiche would be fun, easy and could be prepped in advance (tomato & basil, pepperoni & spinach, red & green bell peppers, etc).

Have egg nog on hand - delish in coffee!

Pumpkin or sweet potato pie is, IMO, the perfect Christmas breakfast food.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »
My family did a brunch last year for our gathering of 10, and we did:
  • Waffles
  • Quiches
  • Assorted fruit (canteloupe, honeydew, and grapes)
  • Sausage
  • Bacon
  • Lots of leftover candy from the other night (peanut butter blossoms, fudge, and scotcheroos)

We had champagne, orange juice, tomato juice, coffee, and tea for everyone. The meal was declared very delicious by everyone.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »
Xmas breakfast is a new tradition in my family, here is what we did last year

Scrambled eggs
Turkey Bacon
Chicken Apple Sausage
Potato Hash
Pancakes
various juices
Champagne for mixing with those juices

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:09:21 PM »
I love Brunches!

Our family has a standard Christmas breakfast
-fried potatoes
-bacon
-eggs bennedict with spinich or smoked salmon
-mimosas and coffee

However, this is a lot of last minute chaotic cooking (which we all like).

I made an excellent brunch with minimal prep with Crepes (made by my step dad) as I assembled

Savory
-smoked salmon
-other smoked salmon
-shrimp
-ricotto cheese
-cream cheese
-parmesan
-fresh herbs
-bacon

and Sweet
-whipped cream
-fruit
-apple cobbler
-chocolate
-syrup
-brown sugar
-lemons
-butter
-raspberries

people assembled their own crepes and they were all delicious.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »
French Toast
Ham
Scramble of eggs, veggie, cheese, and/or meat (can be used for Breakfast Burritos too)
Hot Chocolate

mandycorn

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 06:32:37 PM »
I've seen several recipes for "baked french toast" which you prepare the night before and then pop into the oven in the morning. They come out more like a bread pudding than a traditional french toast, so be prepared for the different texture, but something like that would be relatively easy and delicious. Then you could do a big bowl of fresh fruit (possibly just purchased pre-cut) and the various beverages your family prefers.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 07:01:59 PM »
We always have a big Christmas brunch with my family!

Our staples include:
Egg casserole (browned ground sausage with eggs, mushrooms and green peppers) baked in a large casserole dish
Cinnamon rolls
Bacon
Shrimp cocktail
Veggie tray
Fruit salad
Cookie tray
Mimosas and coffee and juice

We've included other thing before but that's what we always have.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

doodlemor

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 12:47:52 AM »
I used to enjoy doing a Christmas breakfast open house for my class and their parents.  The menu was rather robust and basic, and much the same every year:

buttermilk pancakes/syrup
scrambled eggs
hot fruit compote in a crockpot
sausage, bacon, and ham pieces heated in a crockpot
several coffee cakes or cinnamon buns
juice, cocoa, coffee 

I would sometimes bake the coffeecakes and rolls on the weekend, so that I just had to pull them out of the freezer the night before.  I used easy recipes from the 1978 printing of Mother's in the Kitchen - anyone remember that?

The dry ingredients for the pancakes were mixed the night before.  It didn't take too long to mix in the oil, buttermilk, and eggs in the morning.

For the hot fruit compote crockpot I used to put in pieces of 1 peeled orange, canned pineapple - save the juice, mostly drained canned peaches, and a lot of peeled, sliced apples.  Then I mixed in about a third to a half cup of brown sugar, about half a stick of real butter, and sprinkled in a bit of cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg.

The sausage and bacon were cooked the night before, and the ham was cut into chunks/slices of various sizes.  In the morning the meats were put into the crockpot along with some brown sugar, some sprinkles of clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and some or all of the juice from the canned fruit.

The crockpots were done very simply, but always came out tasty.  More stuff could be added in to replenish as it was needed.  I don't think that I ever needed more than 1 crockpot of fruit, but always had more meat on hand to add in.  The only thing that took much time was peeling and slicing the apples, but that really needed to be done in the morning.

The crockpots were started on high heat, and then turned down.  The pancakes and eggs were cooked while the crockpots were heating. 

This is not a sophisticated menu, but I have enjoyed remembering the fun that I had doing this in school.

Elisabunny

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 11:13:17 AM »
The last few years I've made a strata.  It's basically a bread pudding, only savory instead of sweet.  The recipe I use has sausage, cheese, and onions.  The best part about it is, you assemble it the day before, so all you have to do in the morning is pop it in the oven.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 08:30:15 AM »
Thanks guys!  I got plenty of great ideas and searched up your recipes online so I'm good to go.  I'm also adding in a few tamales that DH and I plan to make this weekend.  Can't have Christmas morning without them.  ;) 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 09:52:49 AM »
BTW an excellent alternative to mimosas is something for which I don't know the name.

It's a mixture of prosecco and pomegranate juice.  The drink is light, not too sweet and the color is appropriate for Christmas. 

Dang!  I thought we were done shopping.  Now I need to buy the stuff for this. 

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 11:44:28 AM »
So I just made fresh fruit compote based on thread. I put it on french toast with creme fresh.

Yum!

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 11:54:48 AM »
My son and I are going to make a bacon weave Christmas morning!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »
My son and I are going to make a bacon weave Christmas morning!

Recipe PLEASE! :D