General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Is it really a favour or taking advantage?

<< < (2/11) > >>

Venus193:
Rude and a thief. since she stole your time and your knowledge.

oopsie:

--- Quote from: MamaMootz on December 19, 2012, 06:59:56 PM ---Very rude and you didn't get paid for any of your efforts, but Real Estate Agent A did. It's business, not personal. But she took advantage of your business knowledge based on your DD's personal relationship with her child. All kinds of wrong.

I would not have priced the home or given her advice, but instead said to her, "RudeMom, I do not earn any money when I do not list/sell homes. I'm not in the business of giving away my knowledge for free, so I think it's best that you contact Real Estate Agent A when he/she returns from their trip. I'm sure you understand -you would not go to work if you did not get paid, correct?" And then I would leave.

AND ....I'd be willing to bet she knew she was going to do this and she lured you there without telling you she was planning on using Real Estate Agent A on purpose. She probably figured once you got there, you'd be too embarrassed to leave without giving her the advice - and she was right. She got what she wanted without paying you a cent.

Sorry, I used to sell real estate and I learned very quickly to show these people the door. If they weren't there to list or buy from me, I cut them loose. Bless you - it's a tough business.

--- End quote ---

When she got off the phone with her husband, I was standing there with my mind racing as to what to do next. I did say to her that "this is my bread and butter, you do realize that this is how I feed my kids right?" and that's when she realized what she had done and told me to go. I did feel too embarrassed to just leave and thought I would be the bigger person, especially given our daughters' relationship.

Given how easily she bounced back from it when I told her I would stay, I also can't help but feel that she knew exactly what she was doing.

One other little thing I forgot to mention...she's also self-employed!!

MamaMootz:

--- Quote from: oopsie on December 19, 2012, 07:34:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: MamaMootz on December 19, 2012, 06:59:56 PM ---Very rude and you didn't get paid for any of your efforts, but Real Estate Agent A did. It's business, not personal. But she took advantage of your business knowledge based on your DD's personal relationship with her child. All kinds of wrong.

I would not have priced the home or given her advice, but instead said to her, "RudeMom, I do not earn any money when I do not list/sell homes. I'm not in the business of giving away my knowledge for free, so I think it's best that you contact Real Estate Agent A when he/she returns from their trip. I'm sure you understand -you would not go to work if you did not get paid, correct?" And then I would leave.

AND ....I'd be willing to bet she knew she was going to do this and she lured you there without telling you she was planning on using Real Estate Agent A on purpose. She probably figured once you got there, you'd be too embarrassed to leave without giving her the advice - and she was right. She got what she wanted without paying you a cent.

Sorry, I used to sell real estate and I learned very quickly to show these people the door. If they weren't there to list or buy from me, I cut them loose. Bless you - it's a tough business.

--- End quote ---

When she got off the phone with her husband, I was standing there with my mind racing as to what to do next. I did say to her that "this is my bread and butter, you do realize that this is how I feed my kids right?" and that's when she realized what she had done and told me to go. I did feel too embarrassed to just leave and thought I would be the bigger person, especially given our daughters' relationship.

Given how easily she bounced back from it when I told her I would stay, I also can't help but feel that she knew exactly what she was doing.

One other little thing I forgot to mention...she's also self-employed!!

--- End quote ---

Well, now you know where she stands for any future dealings... lesson learned. She should have been more considerate, especially considering the time you took to go to her home took you away from following up on other opportunities where you could actually earn commission. The fact that she's self-employed makes it even worse. Ugh.

DavidH:
She was rude.  She told you up front she'd try to sell it herself, so I'm fine with that part and going over anyway in an effort to get the business seems like a prudent strategy on your part.  Once she said, oh no, were loyal to agent A, that was when you should have said that you'd feel awkward barging in on agent A's client and hope she'll understand and then leave.  It makes for a graceful exit and avoids her rather rude bait and switch.

Surianne:
She was honest with you, both about selling herself and using the other agent if she couldn't, so I think that if you thought it was more than you were willing to do as a favour, you could have left at any time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version