Author Topic: The SIL in a snit and the traveling pies Update post 56  (Read 14058 times)

weeblewobble

Re: The SIL in a snit and the traveling pies
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 09:26:51 PM »
Background: DH's sister is a very PA individual.  We  ignored her behavior for a long time (decades) which wasn't hard because she lived far  from us and we seldom saw her.  We spoke on the phone occasionally and met at her parents' every few years.  Things  blew up several years ago. It was mainly between SIL and DH but she dragged my name through the mud during her tirades and blamed me for everything.  I never spoke to her again. DH has spoken to her and seen her a few times.  She and DH exchange birthday cards and we continued to send each other Christmas gifts and cards.  FWIW, the gifts are usually food gifts from catalogs.  End of background. 

This year, DH sent a selection of mini pies to SIL.  The pies were shipped by UPS from a bakery in one state  to her house on the east coast.  Imagine my surprise when they were delivered to our house,  in a third state. It is not clear whether or not she opened the package.  It is clear that she received the package and shipped it on to us.  No note, no nothing, just pies.

There was no shipping mistake.  The package was shipped to "Dr. And Mrs. Demarco".  No one on earth ever addresses us that way  except SIL  and neither the bakery nor UPS  would have known to call us that. 

Something has set SIL off again.  We don't know what it is.  I suspect her dream is that DH will call her and ask what's up which will give her the opportunity to unload on him for something.  DH's inclination is to do nothing.

What would you do in a case like this? 

(We ate the pies.)

That's all I would do.

POD.  This is a "silent flounce."  She wants you to chase after her and demand an explanation and give her a chance to "perform" and get attention.  Enjoy the pies.  she did you a favor.

Lynda_34

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »
I think I'm your second cousin, twice removed so feel free to send me pie. ;D  I already have the Thank you Note written, it just needs a stamp. ;)

Oh yes, pies with little legs scrambling into a vehicle was also part of my concept.  ??? (I think I miss the sixtes, or maybe that was just a flashback.  :D

gmatoy

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 10:11:08 PM »
Just thought of something else.  By your saying nothing, she has no way of knowing for sure that the pies ever made their way back to you. 

What if they didn't?  Then her plan would have had no result at all.   You wouldn't know she'd rejected them.

As it now stands, she's sitting there waiting for the call she's SURE is forthcoming from you or your DH ... and waiting ... and waiting ... and ...

And won't that be just perfect? ;D

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 10:13:58 PM »
Out of curiosity, what kind of pies were they?
"After all this time?"
"Always."

demarco

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 11:22:14 PM »

Pecan, cranberry walnut and some kind of chocolate mini pies.

Lindee

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 11:34:54 PM »
Now I want pies too.

Cheapie

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 11:40:02 PM »
I agree with everyone else ... do nothing.

If I were your SIL's husband, I'd be pretty ticked off that she caused me to miss out on pie due to her 'snittiness".  That is, if she ever shares with him.

Amara

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 11:51:18 PM »
OP, be sure to brush your teeth before replying, "Pie? What pie?"  ;D

Annoyed in America

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 12:48:31 AM »
This is a new twist on re-gifting.  If someone sent me back my gift to them I would love it.  I would not respond to her, since this is what she wants.  Let her sit there waiting.  She was trying to provoke something and I would not give her the satisfaction.  Next year donate something to a worthy cause in her name and inform her you did this instead of gifting.

Shopaholic

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 12:56:41 AM »

POD.  This is a "silent flounce."  She wants you to chase after her and demand an explanation and give her a chance to "perform" and get attention.  Enjoy the pies.  she did you a favor.

POD^2.

veryfluffy

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 01:08:05 AM »
This is your DH's sister, who seems to bear great animosity to you, so if he wants to do nothing then you might as well go along with that. She has also, by returning your gift, informed you that she no longer wants to exchange gifts. (You didn't say, but I am guessing she did not send you a gift?).

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 01:34:02 AM »
I think your husband did the wrong thing. And I think you should tell him that.

You should have sent the pies to me. They've traveled some already. What's yet another state on their journey?

;)

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 01:47:06 AM »
"We ate the pies." is the perfect ending to any story*. Ergo, I think that's where it needs to end. SIL's effort to create drama should not be rewarded.

_______
*Except Richard Bachman/Stephen King's Thinner.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 02:01:41 AM »

What would you do in a case like this? 

(We ate the pies.)

That's all I would do.

another POD.

Pecan, cranberry walnut and some kind of chocolate mini pies.
oh man, who returns chocolate mini pies? even to make a point?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

BarensMom

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 04:37:28 AM »
OP, I'll be your new SIL from now on.  All that is required is you two send me pie. ;D