Author Topic: The SIL in a snit and the traveling pies Update post 56  (Read 13691 times)

BarensMom

Re: The SIL in a snit and the traveling pies
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 04:37:28 AM »
OP, I'll be your new SIL from now on.  All that is required is you two send me pie. ;D

caz

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 05:17:07 AM »
Background: DH's sister is a very PA individual.  We  ignored her behavior for a long time (decades) which wasn't hard because she lived far  from us and we seldom saw her.  We spoke on the phone occasionally and met at her parents' every few years.  Things  blew up several years ago. It was mainly between SIL and DH but she dragged my name through the mud during her tirades and blamed me for everything.  I never spoke to her again. DH has spoken to her and seen her a few times.  She and DH exchange birthday cards and we continued to send each other Christmas gifts and cards.  FWIW, the gifts are usually food gifts from catalogs.  End of background. 

This year, DH sent a selection of mini pies to SIL.  The pies were shipped by UPS from a bakery in one state  to her house on the east coast.  Imagine my surprise when they were delivered to our house,  in a third state. It is not clear whether or not she opened the package.  It is clear that she received the package and shipped it on to us.  No note, no nothing, just pies.

There was no shipping mistake.  The package was shipped to "Dr. And Mrs. Demarco".  No one on earth ever addresses us that way  except SIL  and neither the bakery nor UPS  would have known to call us that. 

Something has set SIL off again.  We don't know what it is.  I suspect her dream is that DH will call her and ask what's up which will give her the opportunity to unload on him for something.  DH's inclination is to do nothing.

What would you do in a case like this? 

(We ate the pies.)

That's all I would do.

POD.  This is a "silent flounce."  She wants you to chase after her and demand an explanation and give her a chance to "perform" and get attention.  Enjoy the pies.  she did you a favor.

But... but....  what will I READ!?!?  ;D

CharlieBraun

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 08:26:52 AM »
I am putting "we ate the pies" in my signature line.  Now.
"We ate the pies."

weeblewobble

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 09:06:08 AM »
Background: DH's sister is a very PA individual.  We  ignored her behavior for a long time (decades) which wasn't hard because she lived far  from us and we seldom saw her.  We spoke on the phone occasionally and met at her parents' every few years.  Things  blew up several years ago. It was mainly between SIL and DH but she dragged my name through the mud during her tirades and blamed me for everything.  I never spoke to her again. DH has spoken to her and seen her a few times.  She and DH exchange birthday cards and we continued to send each other Christmas gifts and cards.  FWIW, the gifts are usually food gifts from catalogs.  End of background. 

This year, DH sent a selection of mini pies to SIL.  The pies were shipped by UPS from a bakery in one state  to her house on the east coast.  Imagine my surprise when they were delivered to our house,  in a third state. It is not clear whether or not she opened the package.  It is clear that she received the package and shipped it on to us.  No note, no nothing, just pies.

There was no shipping mistake.  The package was shipped to "Dr. And Mrs. Demarco".  No one on earth ever addresses us that way  except SIL  and neither the bakery nor UPS  would have known to call us that. 

Something has set SIL off again.  We don't know what it is.  I suspect her dream is that DH will call her and ask what's up which will give her the opportunity to unload on him for something.  DH's inclination is to do nothing.

What would you do in a case like this? 

(We ate the pies.)

That's all I would do.

POD.  This is a "silent flounce."  She wants you to chase after her and demand an explanation and give her a chance to "perform" and get attention.  Enjoy the pies.  she did you a favor.

But... but....  what will I READ!?!?  ;D

you're right, I wasn't thinking. :)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 10:11:47 AM »
OP, be sure to brush your teeth before replying, "Pie? What pie?"  ;D

;D ;D ;D

demarco

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »
Ignoring it appears to be the consensus and I agree DH has made the right decision.  Knowing SIL, this may not be the end of it, though. She may not be able to contain herself in the absence of a response.  Stay tuned....

demarco

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 10:39:13 AM »
I am putting "we ate the pies" in my signature line.  Now.

I love it!

onyonryngs

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »
Next time I find myself faced with buying a gift for a PA relative/friend and there is even the slightest chance it will be returned to me, I'm buying pie.  You may have hit upon the most brilliant way ever to deal with PA people. 

yokozbornak

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 10:47:11 AM »
I have been thinking of good pie slogans that you can share with SIL.  Here is a few I came up with:

Revenge is a dish best served cold....and so are pies.

So now you can have your pies and eat them, too. 

A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail. 

When the going gets tough, the tough eat pie.

The journey of a thousand pies begins with one bite.

CakeBeret

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 11:08:53 AM »

LOL. Although I would change this one to "So now I can have your pies and eat them too."
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

onyonryngs

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »

LOL. Although I would change this one to "So now I can have your pies and eat them too."

Or "So now I can give you pies and eat them too."   ;D

yokozbornak

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »

Or "So now I can give you pies and eat them too."   ;D

;D I will now be think of pie slogans all day long!

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 11:39:01 AM »
Can you find the tracking number for the package?  If so, you can go to the UPS website and determine whether or not the package was actually delivered to them, as opposed to UPS giving it back to you for some reason.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Petticoats

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »
I think your DH was more than generous to her to maintain a relationship with her after she treated you the way she did. I'm a little baffled, really, as to why he didn't maintain a united front with you, unless he made it very clear to her that he wouldn't tolerate her treating you that way any further and that his staying in contact with her didn't mean that he accepted that behavior.

That said, I'm absolutely on the side of not making any contact with her about the petulant/passive pie-package posting. :)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 12:33:20 PM »
the petulant/passive pie-package posting. :)

Prettily put, Petticoats!
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)