Author Topic: Help wording a thanks w/ a "no more please!"  (Read 3081 times)

Eden

Re: Help wording a thanks w/ a "no more please!"
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 10:27:08 AM »
Even if you throw the cake straight in the garbage, that's okay. The gift is a symbol of their thanks. What you do with it after is your business.

You do not owe reciprocity.

IF you would like to address it at all, I'd think suggesting they stop altogether would be the only way to go, not suggesting a different kind/value of gift. "Oh you guys really don't need to give me anything. I am glad to help out. Please, no need to give me gifts."

onyonryngs

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »
You accept the gift gracefully.  You can donate it to your local firehouse - ours requests that the donor's name & contact info be on anything for security purposes, but it's fairly easy and there should be one close.

yokozbornak

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 11:05:21 AM »
I was going to suggest donating it to a local fire station or police station.  We have brought them food gifts before and they were very much appreciated.  Also, if you have a business or organize that you patronize or are involved with (a doctor's office, school, church, gym, etc.), it might be a nice gesture to bring it to them. 

gorplady

• “Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat”
    • PerfectDuluthDay
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 11:44:22 AM »
Could you share it with your family?

Jloreli

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 01:01:24 PM »
POD fire or police station as a new home for the dessert. Especially if you have not yet opened it. The folks that work at my local PDs on holidays looooooooove to have treats.

Jules1980

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 01:09:50 PM »
I don't know where you live, but for me, donating the extra food would be at least as wasteful as throwing it in the trash. I'd have to spend time finding a nursing home, calling to see if they want a cake in a box that might or might not be sealed (it's a health risk for them to take food from strangers), and then getting in my car and driving to drop it off. (Not to mention that I have two little kids, so it's hard to carry them or hold their hands while carrying boxes of food.) For me, it would waste gasoline and time. I don't live close enough to anywhere where I could donate food that easily.

I'd try to be honest with the gift-givers but not come across as "Here's what you should do next time." I'd try to be subtle but still honest.

I'd say/write "I profusely thank you for your gifts. You are extremely generous..."

And then add what katycoo said:

Its so huge I need to share it as much as possible as I can't possibly eat it all!  I feel terrible wasting food.

Fire departments and police/sheriff's offices.  Trust me it will get eaten.  WHen the two A.M. munchies hit and there is no food places open, the officer will eat anything they can get and be grateful for it.  I have sent left over birthday cakes, platters from catered events, etc.  My husband has said it is always appreciated and a big hit.