Author Topic: Your butt is showing!  (Read 4432 times)

oopsie

Re: Your butt is showing!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 10:49:36 AM »
PODding everyone. I would add though that when Dd was asked when she noticed the tear it would have been much kinder to say "oh, just now". If you are trying to avoid someone feeling self conscious then telling them later that they walked around all day with their backside showing is NOT going to help. If you're going to do a thing, do it properly.

What does the acronym POD stand for? I've noticed it all around this board and google is telling me nothing except "Paid On Delivery" "Print On Demand" "Post Office Department" etc. I gather it means that you agree with someone...?

oopsie

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 10:51:15 AM »
CRUD MONKEYS!...I would have been so mad at my mother!  Really?   

I think I would ask her how she would have felt if that had been her the whole day?

I know it is over and you will probably never see anyone that you saw that day or that saw you, but I would be shrinking from embarrassment for a good long while and constantly checking my butt!

This made me LOL! Thank you!!

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 11:08:15 AM »
PODding everyone. I would add though that when Dd was asked when she noticed the tear it would have been much kinder to say "oh, just now". If you are trying to avoid someone feeling self conscious then telling them later that they walked around all day with their backside showing is NOT going to help. If you're going to do a thing, do it properly.

What does the acronym POD stand for? I've noticed it all around this board and google is telling me nothing except "Paid On Delivery" "Print On Demand" "Post Office Department" etc. I gather it means that you agree with someone...?

Yes. It's not really even an acronym and if we were real sticklers, probably shouldn't be in all caps. It means you and the other person are peas in a pod or that you're pod people together.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 01:00:48 PM »

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »
Mom should have told you because it was fixable in many different ways.  You daughter should have told you that you just had a tear now, to avoid giving you the memory of being cheeky in Disney.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 01:55:25 PM »
Given the advent of cameras on cellphones and people's rude tendency to post embarrassing things online, I think people should be alerted asap to any public vulnerability.  :-\ :-[

Since GM was the one who noticed, I would have thought she would have been in "rescue" mode - giving you her sweater, whispering for you to go buy a long t-shirt at the gift shop quick, etc. But her own apparent lack of problem-solving skills convinced her that the situation was hopeless and therefore would only cause you mortification. Which is why the road to ehell is paved with good intentions. ::)

If something can be done (including doing the hundred yard dash back to your hotel), I vote for "discreet but informative". If a malfunction cannot be fixed, I am on the fence about whether to say anything. If the person is aware and praying no one else notices I would hate to be the one to burst their bubble - but I cringe when I see someone walking around seemingly blissfully unaware while other people snicker behind their backs.

I think pointing things like that out is risky and maybe unnecessary, but not rude and arguably worth the risk if ultimately helpful.
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 10:31:03 PM »
I'm going to go with she should have told you up front. I had a similar embarrassing predicament when I was touring Blarney Castle a bouncing bus had done no favors at that time of the month, and when I stood up, one of my friends quickly alerted me to the fact that I had a bloodstain on the back of my khakis. I am forever grateful to him (we were sitting next to each other and I stood up first, so it wasn't him gawping at my backside), because I was able to go the rest of the day with my jacket tied around my waist. I would rather be remembered as the crazy American going about on a chilly day in a T-shirt with a jacket around her waist than the person with a big stain on her pants.

m2kbug

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2012, 11:10:07 AM »
Somebody should have told you right away when they noticed it.  I'm one to tell people right away, even total strangers, because I know how embarrassing it is to realize you've been walking around half the day with something in your teeth or anything equally embarrassing.  I don't see how letting someone know is rude or in poor taste in any way.  Strangers are going to be more reluctant to chime in, but these people knew you.  Which is more embarrassing?  Finding out you have a hole in your pants, or finding out you've walked around all day with your keister hanging out?