Author Topic: Dear Abby on Christmas cards  (Read 3186 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Dear Abby on Christmas cards
« on: December 20, 2012, 10:15:26 AM »
http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20121220

I am curious to know what people think of the letter, Abby's response, and the general practice of photocards.

I get photocards from nearly everyone I know.  I actually prefer them to a "regular" card.  They end up displayed longer, and where regular cards get recycled, the photocards go into a special folder and are kept.  It is nice to look back and see the progression of my friends and their families over the years.

I also send photocards.

I rarely get letters with cards and I rarely send them.  If I felt obligated to send personal letters with my Christmas cards, I would never get around to sending them.  It is just too busy around this time of year.

Thoughts from others?

msulinski

Re: Dear Abby on Christmas cards
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:25:28 AM »
http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20121220

I am curious to know what people think of the letter, Abby's response, and the general practice of photocards.

I get photocards from nearly everyone I know.  I actually prefer them to a "regular" card.  They end up displayed longer, and where regular cards get recycled, the photocards go into a special folder and are kept.  It is nice to look back and see the progression of my friends and their families over the years.

I also send photocards.

I rarely get letters with cards and I rarely send them.  If I felt obligated to send personal letters with my Christmas cards, I would never get around to sending them.  It is just too busy around this time of year.

Thoughts from others?

I do photo cards, and I don't even write a note on them at all. Its a miracle any friends or family still talk to me!

I have a hard time understanding why sending nothing is completely OK, but sending a photo card with a short hand-written note is bad. If I were the letter-writer, I would just do what the complainers asked: don't send them anything next year.

VltGrantham

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:25:41 AM »
I like photo-cards.  They give me the opportunity to see how everyone is doing--people change so vastly and frequently, that I like knowing what Great Uncle Rob looks like or how big my nieces and nephews are.

I don't write letters in my cards but I don't just sign them either.  I have no issue with anyone who does.  And I think I'm the rarity who actually likes Christmas newsletters.

Unless someone has an unusually large family I don't see why cards can't have more than just a signature in them.  It takes planning and effort, but I don't think it's rude to forgo it either.

I think that people who get hung up in these little details need more to do.

pearls n purls

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:28:21 AM »
I also like photocards.  I display them, and I enjoy seeing people's children grow over the years. 

Written letters are nice, but if I had to write personalized letters to everyone each Christmas, most likely my Christmas cards would never get done.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »
I don't send photocards, but I don't mind receiving them.  Personally, I only write notes in cards to people to whom I'm very close.  Everybody else gets a signature.  Every now and then I get a photocard that leaves me wondering "Who, exactly, are these people?" because it comes from someone we haven't heard from in years.

Annie42

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 10:35:04 AM »
I think her aunt is just an old bitty who is a chronic complainer. I would definitely keep her off my card list.

People have busy lives and little time to write more than a sentence or two. It's nice that someone thinks enough of us to send a card at all.  :)

yokozbornak

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 10:39:07 AM »
The aunt sounds like an old crank.  I am grateful that people think of me and my family enough to send a card whether it's a photo card or a handwritten note.  Some people just look to get offended and will find something not matter what.

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 10:40:29 AM »
I like photocards and just sent one of my own out for the first time.

But, I also prefer to add a personalized note to each as well—just a line or two, but something personal and handwritten rather than a preprinted greeting. A few family members get something slightly longer.

Aunt is off her rocker, and would be off my list after that year.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 10:41:51 AM »
I think Aunt is looking for something to complain about.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 10:47:42 AM »
Although we don't send them, we appreciate receiving photo cards.  Usually, they don't have a personal note or even a signature but it's still fun to see how families grow and change over the years.

We keep the family photo cards.  When there's a gathering, it's fun to remind the 'Kids' (now in their 40s) how they looked when they were teenagers.

'Oh, I remember that dress.  I loved it!'

Dad, when you were my age you had three teenagers!  how did you ever manage?'

We don't send out Holiday letters either.  Most people we know don't do that. 

Yes, it may give parents satisfaction to inform everyone that young Buford has been short-listed for a Pulitzer Prize and little Amanda has received a Rhodes Scholarship but most recipients don't care all
 that much.

A little note wishing the family a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy, prosperous 2013 is quite
enough. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 10:49:06 AM »
Those cards aren't even easy to write on.  When I ordered photo cards of the skyline (I took the picture) I took discarded pieces of photo paper home to practice writing on it with different pens until I found one that worked.

audrey1962

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 10:52:11 AM »
I don't care for photocards, but then, I'm sure some people don't care for the type of cards I send. Don't judge the card, judge the meaning behind it. That's what matters most.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »
We sent photocards and I write short notes in each one.  If anyone is offended to receive it and tell me so, then that person won't be on my future Christmas card list.  Like PPs have said, I also like receiving them, even if they're blank, because it's nice to see how people change from year to year, especially kids. 

LeveeWoman

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »
I think Aunt is looking for something to complain about.

Yep.

lellah

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 11:15:30 AM »
I get the original letter writer's dismay a little.  Some of those photocards are a bit... bragsome, especially when they depict exotic vacations, expensive possessions, and so on.  I confess to having rolled my eyes at a holiday greeting that shows off wealth or--and this is slightly worse, imo--the senders' charitable work and contains no personalized message or signature and is sent by someone with whom I have little contact. 

If you're unable to do something as simple as interact with me on Facebook or Twitter, send me an email or a text message, or call me on the phone in an entire year, I do have a little trouble mustering interest in a card you didn't bother signing.  To me, that sends less of a message of holiday cheer and more of a message that Everyone Should Find My Doings Inherently Interesting.  To that attitude, I say:  Bah.  Humbug. 

On the other hand, a photo card from those I'm close to and otherwise in touch with or one with a personal message of some kind, etc is perfectly lovely.   

I wonder if the aunt's real complaint was that her niece doesn't pay her sufficient attention the rest of the year.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:22:43 AM by lellah »