Author Topic: The Coworker Christmas Photo  (Read 6248 times)

yokozbornak

The Coworker Christmas Photo
« on: December 20, 2012, 11:24:48 AM »
I work as a preschool teacher.  One of my fellow teachers gave each of her students a Christmas card (my child is in her class).  When I opened it, I was floored to find an "artistic" glamour photo of her inside which had her in a solid white outfit draped in tinsel with a scowl look on her face while leaning on a set of blocks that read "JOY".  She is a pretty grumpy older lady, and the picture looks like something that you would see on Awkward Family Photos.

I have two questions:  Do I need to actually acknowledge the photo to her or is it okay if I just have my daughter say thank you?  As a fellow teacher, should I give a heads up to our director that she included the picture in the cards?  We are a privately owned school, and I have a strong sense that the director would be really embarrassed that parents are receiving this photo and more importantly, I think a few parents may call her and complain.

onyonryngs

Re: The Coworker Christmas Photo
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »
I actually think that picture sounds hilarious!  I'd crack up if I got something like that!  I'd just say thanks for the card & leave it at that.  I wouldn't mention it to the director - let her handle it if she feels it's needed.

CaptainObvious

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 11:29:36 AM »
I work as a preschool teacher.  One of my fellow teachers gave each of her students a Christmas card (my child is in her class).  When I opened it, I was floored to find an "artistic" glamour photo of her inside which had her in a solid white outfit draped in tinsel with a scowl look on her face while leaning on a set of blocks that read "JOY".  She is a pretty grumpy older lady, and the picture looks like something that you would see on Awkward Family Photos.

I have two questions:  Do I need to actually acknowledge the photo to her or is it okay if I just have my daughter say thank you?  As a fellow teacher, should I give a heads up to our director that she included the picture in the cards?  We are a privately owned school, and I have a strong sense that the director would be really embarrassed that parents are receiving this photo and more importantly, I think a few parents may call her and complain.

What in the hell was she thinking?

yokozbornak

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 11:32:01 AM »
It is awesomely bad.  My DH and I have been snickering about it since receiving it yesterday. 

jmarvellous

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »
I don't believe any further action on your part is required.

I would give her a Christmas card or gift if that's what you usually do for your kids' teachers, or nothing if that's what you usually do. Either way, let the picture go, even if scrubbing it from your memory might be tough.  ;D

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 11:59:36 AM »
I'd say perhaps a 'thank you' note sent with the child might be nice - especially since she's providing you with endless supplies of hilarity.

You might have to send it to Ellen Degeneres's "Bad Paid For Photos" too.... LOL

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 12:08:12 PM »
That sounds hilarious :D

I'd ignore it, I'm sure she thought it would be a great idea

yokozbornak

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 12:12:21 PM »
I'd say perhaps a 'thank you' note sent with the child might be nice - especially since she's providing you with endless supplies of hilarity.

You might have to send it to Ellen Degeneres's "Bad Paid For Photos" too.... LOL

"Thanks for the gift that keeps on giving!"

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 01:13:11 PM »
I must admit it sounds great... but then I'm an adult not a kindergarden kid. I think to a kid it sounds weird.

I don't think you should tattle on her to administration, but you can mention it in conversation if its somethin you think thy don't know abou but should, afterall itsbeng given to sudents by a school employee on school grounds during school hours and therefore is a representation of the school.

yokozbornak

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 02:08:27 PM »
I must admit it sounds great... but then I'm an adult not a kindergarden kid. I think to a kid it sounds weird.

I don't think you should tattle on her to administration, but you can mention it in conversation if its somethin you think thy don't know abou but should, afterall itsbeng given to sudents by a school employee on school grounds during school hours and therefore is a representation of the school.

If I did say something to the director, it would be more of a heads-up that she may be getting a few phone calls.  I don't think the teacher would get in trouble at all.  She has been at that school for many years and is sort of an institution. 

It's a strange situation because I am both a teacher there and a parent there so the lines tend to get blurred a bit.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 03:17:27 PM »

...or Ellen's "Hot Glam, Girl!" segment.

I wouldn't say anything.  Even though she looks grumpy, it's not inappropriate.  If you do say something, make it more like casual conversation about what cards and gifts DD got for the holidays.  Let the director draw her own conclusions.

oopsie

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 03:56:36 PM »

That card rocks! I love someone with a sense of humour who can poke fun at themselves. Depending on the age of her students, I'm not exactly sure that they would be in on the joke or "get it" but I'd just let it go personally.

CakeBeret

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »

That card rocks! I love someone with a sense of humour who can poke fun at themselves. Depending on the age of her students, I'm not exactly sure that they would be in on the joke or "get it" but I'd just let it go personally.

I agree that the card sounds hilarious, but I think it's inappropriate to hand out to a preschool class! If you want to send ironic glamour shots, save that for your friends; it's not work appropriate, IMO.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

yokozbornak

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 04:24:54 PM »
Sadly, I don't think she was attempting to be ironic or humorous.  I am pretty sure it was a serious photo.

oopsie

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »

I agree that the card sounds hilarious, but I think it's inappropriate to hand out to a preschool class! If you want to send ironic glamour shots, save that for your friends; it's not work appropriate, IMO.

Yeah, preschoolers definitely wouldn't likely get it even if it were a joke. If they were high school students, now that would be great!Regardless of the fact that it was meant to be a serious picture, I still don't think it's worth warning anyone about. Probably not the best judgement call on her part but harmless all the same.