General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Facebook Photo Etiquette

(1/3) > >>

Celany:
Hello All!

Long time no see! I've been lurking for awhile, but life has gotten quite busy, so I've been navigating the perils of civilized living mostly on my own.  :) Something has recently come up that I'd like to get some advice on.

I've been posting a huge number of photos on FB for the past few years. It's a hobby (and a nice way to make sure some record will be retained, in case of fire and/or natural disaster). Some of them are grandparents (and great-grandparents) from the 1920s-1950s, up to recent-history photos from the 1990s & 2000s. I have a bunch of photos from my (late) Grandma's 90th birthday(from the late 2000s) that I'd like to post. Some of these photos have my cousin Mark in them.

Mark is in my parent's generation. He died about a year ago. I went to school with his four kids. Three of them are nowhere near my age group, & I don't know them well. His daughter, Amelie was a year ahead of me. She's the only one that I have had any kind of relationship with. We were friendly as kids, but once we hit school, she was very mean girls, & picked on me a lot. I got over it years ago, but needless to say, haven't had more than fake-friendly chit-chat with her in decades.

Anyways, I think that Amelie (and her mom) will be thrilled with the photos. I know they miss Mark a lot, & I think they'll be really excited at new photos (if they're not, I will, of course, remove them). 

As Amelie & her mom aren't in the photos, there won't be any tags to direct them to the photos. So what I was wondering is, given that Mark has died (and relatively recently), it is correct to write on Amelie & her mom's wall (or send them a private message) and let them know that I've put the photos up? Should I message them before I put the photos up?

I don't have any other contact info of theirs, and I only see them at larger family gatherings, so FB is the only way I have to contact them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

PastryGoddess:
You can tag them on the photos so they will see them on their wall.  They will get a message that someone has tagged them in a photo. 

WillyNilly:

--- Quote from: PastryGoddess on December 20, 2012, 02:40:33 PM ---You can tag them on the photos so they will see them on their wall.  They will get a message that someone has tagged them in a photo.

--- End quote ---

That's the way my friends & family do it - we simply tag the relevant people to the photo, not necessarily who was in the photo, but the people who would want the photo included in their photo collection on their page.

Celany:
I'll tag them then, but should I give them a heads up first? I'm just wondering if it'd be good to give them a written heads up before they see the photos.

stitchygreyanonymouse:
I would give them a heads up and not tag them.

But, Iím of the opinion that people should only tag me if Iím in the photo (and I have my settings such that I have to approve of all tags).

Other people donít mind being tagged in photos of their kids or grandkids or whatever. I try to err on the side of not tagging in case they share my distaste of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version