Author Topic: Need graceful phrasing for thank you notes  (Read 607 times)

Elisabunny

Need graceful phrasing for thank you notes
« on: December 20, 2012, 02:54:32 PM »
With my son's recent passing, we've received a lot of financial gifts.  Obviously I want to thank everyone, but I can't decide what to say.

Also, many gifts have been anonymous.  Would it be appropriate to write a Letter to the Editor to thank the community?
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Need graceful phrasing for thank you notes
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 03:26:05 PM »
With my son's recent passing, we've received a lot of financial gifts.  Obviously I want to thank everyone, but I can't decide what to say.

Also, many gifts have been anonymous.  Would it be appropriate to write a Letter to the Editor to thank the community?

'Your support during this difficult time has meant so much to us.  Thank you.'  It would work for any gifts, not just financial ones.  Hopefully some of the wordsmiths on board can expand on it.

And yes, I think a Letter to the Editor would be fine.  (I'm assuming you live in a fairly small community.)

(((Hugs)))
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

doodlemor

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 09:43:41 PM »
I'm so sorry that this has happened to you and your family, Elisabunny.  I can not even begin to imagine how hard this time has been for you.  You and your family have been in my prayers.

I think that you could say things like.........

Your great kindness and generosity has helped ease a difficult time for us...........or

We are overwhelmed by your kindness and generosity...........or

Friends like you have made a very dark time a bit brighter for us.........or

We will never forget the love that you have shown us during our time of need........or

We thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your love and support.

It shows what a good, good person you are, that you are thinking of thank you notes at this time.  Don't worry what you write.  These people love you, and want to try to help mitigate a situation that time will only dull a bit. 

It would be fine to write to the newspaper.  I'm so glad that you have so many loving people around you at this sad time.

Elisabunny

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.  Now at least I have a place to start.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...