Author Topic: Your tree isn't decorated enough!  (Read 3478 times)

missmolly

Your tree isn't decorated enough!
« on: December 20, 2012, 06:50:01 PM »
BG: I moved out of my parents house into student accommodation 2 months ago. My room is pretty spartan but I did decorate a little for Xmas, including a small tree with a few decorations. I'll be the first to admit it might look a little bare, but the few decorations I chose look good.

One of my relatives came over today. On the whole I like her...in small doses. She can be pushy. We had a cup of tea and a pleasant chat. After about 20 min, she told me she just had to pop out for a few minutes to get something, and she'd be right back. Okaaaaay.

When she came back, she had a bag full of Christmas decorations! She proudly told me that the whole bag had only cost her 2 dollars at the op shop, (aka thrift store). I smiled, thanked her and humoured her by putting some on the tree. She left soon after. Now, a few of the ornaments were lovely and I'm keeping them on the tree, and at no point did she actually come out and say anything about the tree. But I can't help but feel that it was a little rude on her part. What say you, e-hellions?
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

LeveeWoman

Re: Your tree isn't decorated enough!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 07:10:41 PM »
At least she didn't stand there and tell you where to hang them.

daisy1679

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 07:26:47 PM »
I wouldn't even consider it a statement about my decorations. She was probably just trying to be nice and thought she was helping you out. Since she didn't say anything bad about the tree, I wouldn't necessarily assume she was being rude.  I can easily see her thinking "hey, missmolly is decorating her first place, maybe she'd like some more ornaments for her tree" without thinking that it might look like a judgment against your decorating.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 07:30:15 PM »
I wouldn't even consider it a statement about my decorations. She was probably just trying to be nice and thought she was helping you out. Since she didn't say anything bad about the tree, I wouldn't necessarily assume she was being rude.  I can easily see her thinking "hey, missmolly is decorating her first place, maybe she'd like some more ornaments for her tree" without thinking that it might look like a judgment against your decorating.

That was my first thought when I read the story.  I didn't take it as a comment on your decorating at all.  I just saw it as a sweet gesture on her part.

HannahGrace

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 07:32:09 PM »
I definitely understand you feeling like it was pushy, but I think honestly the gesture likely came from a good place. I'm an auntie....my nephew is only a toddler so we are long from the day when I might contemplate such gestures, but I can see myself thinking I am helping him start off his adult life by contributing to his first ever tree. I wouldn't buy a whole bag! But I think overall it is kind of sweet. This opinion may be colored by the fact that due to a few cross country moves, my own tree could use some supplementing.. :)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 07:37:22 PM »
The first Christmas after I moved away my mom sent me a box box filled with all sorts of holiday decorations - a few strands of garland, several 4-6 count boxes of ornaments, Santa themed kitchen towels and pot holders, window clings, a few little snowman and santa shaped candles, etc. included was my childhood stocking and one for DH just in case (he had his childhood one, too).

She wasn't making a statement about us, she just thought, because we were starting out and needed to buy more practical household items, we might not have much money for those little extras. If your Aunt is pushy maybe it was a statement but maybe she intended to be thoughtful. Put out what you like and offer around whatever you don't. I'm sure someone is bound to want it.  :)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 08:46:47 AM »
Maybe you're reading a bit into this because your relative has a history of being pushy.

If she started taking your ornaments off and putting hers on, THAT would be pushy.  Just providing more ornaments seems innocent to me.  Actually, I think the gesture was rather sweet.   

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 08:50:11 AM »
I'm going to agree with others--I think she was just trying to be nice, albeit clumsily. And it sounds like the thrift shop was having a all-you-can-stuff-in-a-bag-for-$2 sale, and she just went overboard with the quantity because of that.

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 12:12:40 AM »
This would rub me the wrong way. I would not appreciate the gesture. I wouldn't do that to her or anyone else & would not like it done to me.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »
Assuming she is trying to be nice...You can use these as starter ornaments and then replace them as you go along. Or you could just donate them back to the Op shop.