Author Topic: serve as a receptionist coordinator for a wedding? UPDATE #88!  (Read 17421 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: serve as a receptionist coordinator for a wedding?
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2012, 09:08:15 AM »
I agree with Mrkitty. Put it in writing and send it off- besides, if she's too sick to talk, then she can't call to yell at you!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

cheyne

« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »
mrkitty is right on.  I am afraid that when you speak with Mary, she'll try to persuade you to take on "a couple" of the duties and it will just balloon from there. 

I understand that Mary has a cold, but a cold doesn't stop life from going on.  There is no reason she can't talk to you or receive an email from you.  If she was in a coma I would advise you differently...

Hopefull

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2012, 12:26:47 AM »

1)I have been asked to be the contact person,
2) and to bring ice,
3)and make sure all is cleaned up,
4)and to tell guests to stay close by,
5)and corral potentially unruly children,
6)and to Tupperware the wedding cake after,
7)and meet with the site owner beforehand,
8)and maybe help coordinate carpooling since there is not really a parking lot.
i know you aren't going to do this but I just had to comment!

OK each of these tasks will take  team of people.
Numbers 2-5 and number 8 would take at least 2 people. Even if you agreed to do this who is going to assist you in all the tasks?? I really would love to know what was going through this woman's mind!!!

Please update us :)
“I felt this thrill going up my leg!”

Tia2

« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2012, 04:04:47 PM »
You know, my mother gave up her job (was planning to retire shortly anyway) to run my sister's wedding.

Even so, she didn't try to do any of this stuff on the day.  As far as she was concerned, she was the organiser, it was up to paid staff to actually do the work.

I agree with PPs that this isn't something one person could do.  Even wedding coordinators see their job as directing the staff, not doing the work themselves.

I strongly agree with PPs - you should email/call MOB now so she can't try to use the delay to argue that she thought it was all covered (also, she may want to use time off over Christmas to make other arrangements).  Please don't let her guilt you into doing this.  This is hard work and far too great a favour for her to ask.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2012, 06:12:19 PM »
Talk about red flags?  This one looks like a 1950s Moscow on May Day!

Can't you just see the wonderful sight?

RegionMom pulls up in the command center van and gives her teams their final briefing.  All team members are wearing black cat-suits and the sort of communication devices normally used only by those who protect Heads of State. 

'Team Car-pool' is sent out with reflective vests and paddles, pulling cars into parking spaces and herding guests into shuttles to get to the Reception venue.

'Team Kiddo' goes out in colorful shirts and broad, bright smiles to corral the obstreperous young-uns. 

'Team Critter' is issued night-vision glasses, camo vests and firearms as they patrol the perimeter to deal with wildlife of both the four and two-legged variety.

'Team Kitchen' gets issued nothing except plastic garbage bags and aprons.  They get no respect. Still, they have to do an awful lot of work.

At the end of the affair, when all the teams are back in the command van, the MOB is almost sure to complain that the van wasn't decorated in the Wedding colors. 

Seriously, how could anyone expect a single person to do all these tasks? 

'How hard could it be?' usually means that the task is too hard for the person doing the asking to
 contemplate. 

mrkitty

« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2012, 06:43:37 PM »
Talk about red flags?  This one looks like a 1950s Moscow on May Day!

Can't you just see the wonderful sight?

RegionMom pulls up in the command center van and gives her teams their final briefing.  All team members are wearing black cat-suits and the sort of communication devices normally used only by those who protect Heads of State. 

'Team Car-pool' is sent out with reflective vests and paddles, pulling cars into parking spaces and herding guests into shuttles to get to the Reception venue.

'Team Kiddo' goes out in colorful shirts and broad, bright smiles to corral the obstreperous young-uns. 

'Team Critter' is issued night-vision glasses, camo vests and firearms as they patrol the perimeter to deal with wildlife of both the four and two-legged variety.

'Team Kitchen' gets issued nothing except plastic garbage bags and aprons.  They get no respect. Still, they have to do an awful lot of work.

At the end of the affair, when all the teams are back in the command van, the MOB is almost sure to complain that the van wasn't decorated in the Wedding colors. 

Seriously, how could anyone expect a single person to do all these tasks? 

'How hard could it be?' usually means that the task is too hard for the person doing the asking to
 contemplate.

ROTFL! This is so true, Thipu1. I think I died laughing at the bolded. I hold you personally responsible for the injuries I sustained when I busted my guts.   ;D

Seriously, though, Regionmom. I hope you continue NOT doing this for your 'friend' (who my DH and I both feel isn't remotely acting like a friend). When I explained the background stuff to DH, his response on behalf of Regionmom was, well, not something I can repeat here.

The nerve of some people. Really. Why doesn't she just demand that someone else cater the entire affair while she's at it? How about making the wedding dress, too? Oh, and go ahead and purchase two first class tickets to Paris for a week as a honeymoon for the happy couple...    >:(

Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

cheyne

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2012, 07:35:41 PM »

Pick me! Pick me!   >:D

Phoebe

« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2012, 08:33:56 PM »
LOL!  Reminds me of the current commercial (for Geico?) featuring a lion on the hunt and a couple of antelopes wearing night vision goggles, taunting him:  "Ever think of becoming a vegetarian, Carl?"

BarensMom

« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2013, 11:45:28 AM »
LOL!  Reminds me of the current commercial (for Geico?) featuring a lion on the hunt and a couple of antelopes wearing night vision goggles, taunting him:  "Ever think of becoming a vegetarian, Carl?"

"We can totally see you, Carl."

Regionsmom, I am so glad that you decided not to do this.  For a non-professional, planning a reception is a nightmare of major proportions.  Stay strong on this and don't let Mary talk you into doing ANYTHING.

One day, I'll tell my Sheraton Palace story, when my eye stops twitching at the thought.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »
Any update? OP, please tell us you are off the hook.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Poppea

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Please come back and tell us you declined.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2013, 03:30:57 PM »
In the meantime, can we please have Barensmom's Sheraton Palace story?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

BarensMom

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2013, 06:16:20 PM »
In the meantime, can we please have Barensmom's Sheraton Palace story?

CRUD MONKEYS!, I would have to sit and write the whole mess down before I even thought about posting it.  It was a godawful 4-5 day experience involving individuals from 5 continents.  It's been 7 years and it still gives me palpitations when I think about it.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: serve as a receptionist coordinator for a wedding? UPDATE #88
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2013, 06:40:55 PM »
OP here-

sorry for the delays!  Neither of us are on facebook and texting is not our style, so with her being sick and then Christmas break, and then my travelling a bit and then getting sick (yeah for doctors and no flu!) it has been a quiet start to the New Year.

However,

I DO have an update, and I am free and clear and OFF the hook!  Basically, it was her idea, based on my hesitations...
and the fact that I am not bilingual, as the helper would need to be for the groom's family.

If not for my not speaking the language of the groom's family, she would still try to convince me to do it.  Seeing the "teams" all listed out really hit home with me.

Oh, and money was never mentioned.

I did receive an invitation to the wedding shower, even though I really do not know this daughter, one of seven children, the youngest being my oldest's age.

Unfortunately
I cannot attend, since I paid a deposit months ago for a get-away weekend that coincides with the shower.  Oh well!

So, thanks for helping me to say NO.

And I have never been so thankful that I am not multi-lingual!!!!

Baren'sMom-

feel free to add your story here.  We can continue with tales of reception horror!!

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

mrkitty

Re: serve as a receptionist coordinator for a wedding? UPDATE #88!
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Yay for RegionMom! Thank Goodness you got out of this - either by hook or by crook, at least you're off the hook!

Too bad you didn't have a chance to unsheath that sharpened, highly-polished spine of yours. But on the other hand, it's good you managed to avoid any unpleasantness in the process. I can almost feel your relief from over here.  ;D

So...let me just get this part straight, though. You got invited to the bridal shower, but NOT to the wedding?

Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.