Author Topic: Holiday Mysteries  (Read 1082 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Holiday Mysteries
« on: December 21, 2012, 09:58:07 AM »
When I was a child, my parents always received a Christmas card on the day after Thanksgiving.  It was a very nice card and was signed by 'Eugene Zundel'.  It wasn't a card sent out by a business.  That card marked the beginning of our holiday season and was happily received.

The only problem is that no one in the family had the faintest idea who Eugene Zundel was.  The closest we could come that he might have been someone my father knew in the Army but the name was odd enough that he would have remembered it.

Recently, Mr. Thipu and I have started getting something similar.  Again, it's a nice card.  The address is correct and the return address is some states away.  We have neither met nor heard of this family. 

Another little mystery is that the sender is almost certainly a Civil War Re-enactor, because the card is always signed by 'General X and family' and inside, the cheery Christmas message is addressed to 'Colonel Y'.  The card is always in a late 19th century style. 

We looked around and found that the names are the names of real Civil War officers. 

We have a few friends who are also Civil War Re-enactors and we've talked to them about this.  They're as mystified as we are. None of them have ever met this guy and don't know how he got our address.

Still, it's a cozy thing to get the Christmas card from the General. 

Any other, pleasant Holiday mysteries out there?

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: Holiday Mysteries
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 02:59:43 PM »
Got one this afternoon. A coworker, who barely speaks to me (she is more friendly to me than I am to her - mainly because she's got a lot of unprofessional behaviors that make me nuts), came by while I was at lunch, dropped off a lovely card, signed only with her first name, not in an envelope, and left. Not addressed to me, and just sitting on my desk. I'm wondering if she didn't just accidentally drop it somewhere and someone put it on my desk because it was closest.

*baffled*

btperson

Re: Holiday Mysteries
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 08:57:38 PM »
Have you ever CREATED a mystery?  LOL    Like put something in a strange place so someone will see it and ask..Who put this here?  ...or Why is this here?  Or leave a little gift for a coworker...similar to the card thing but a little more deliberate.  All in fun and mystery.   Nothing stalk-ish or weird tho, just a little funny and strange...to see if others ask around.   Hmmm, time to do it again. I'll see what happens...

Have a good rest-of-the year, everyone!