Author Topic: Bagels - Here We Go Again  (Read 8207 times)

BeagleMommy

Bagels - Here We Go Again
« on: December 21, 2012, 12:31:33 PM »
Today is the last day before my university closes for Christmas break.  There are a grand total of 6 of us in the office today.  Me, Annoying Coworker and 4 professors.  One of the professors' birthday is Christmas Day.

Annoying Coworker stopped at my window on her way to her desk and said that she had brought in bagels and donuts to celebrate Christmas and Professor D's birthday.  They were in the communal lunchroom.  Okay, nice gesture.  I said thank you and she continued to her desk.

When Professor D came in we all gathered in the lunchroom and wished her well.  I had a cup of coffee and then returned to my desk when the gathering was over.  I had already had my breakfast and the donuts and bagels are not something I would have eaten due to high carbohydrate content.

AC brought enough food to feed 18 people.  So far she has stopped by my window 8 times to remind me about the bagels.  Apparently, she bought them because she knows I can't eat sugar.

Well, I'm not eating 75 grams of carbs either.  She did this under her own volition.  It was not a planned event.

Every time she mentions the bagels I've said "Yes, you told me" and nothing else.  I am not about to justify my dietary needs to her.  Everyone in my office knows I 'm a diabetic and she's the only one who pushes food.  She seems to think that just because she provided something that didn't contain sugar that I can automatically eat it.

Is there anything else I should say or should I just let it die?  I'm keeping a running total of how many times she mentions bagels.  Maybe I'll treat myself to a sugar-free latte on the way home if she reaches 20.

EMuir

Re: Bagels - Here We Go Again
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »
Why don't you just kindly let her know that white flour (and rice flour, etc) turns to sugar in your body even faster than table sugar does?  She is probably well-meaning but just not informed. Once she knows she may feel sad that you can't enjoy what she brought, but it will educate her. (I'm a Type 2 and run into this situation as well.)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »
I agree with EMuir.  That's something I didn't know, too.  You don't have to justify your health to her.  But if you do feel like helping her understand better, it wouldn't hurt.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 12:57:39 PM »
As annoying as she is, it really does sound like her heart is in the right place-she thought she got something you could enjoy and wants to make sure that you get some. I would say let it die without saying anything. No reason to make her feel bad.

If this is something that comes up often, perhaps you can just politely mention in conversation sometime (when she hasn't brought anything in) that you are restricted from/do no eat certain things, such as bagels/high carb food in addition to doughnuts and sweets. That way she won't be surprised when you decline next time she brings in treats.

Or, if you are so inclined, maybe you could bring in some goodies sometime, and mention to her that you really love this or that, as it is within your dietary restrictions. That might make her see that it's not just sugar that you have to avoid. Of course you are not obligated to educate her on your dietary restrictions, however it might benefit you do to so in the long run if it gets her to back off a bit.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 02:23:48 PM »
I have told her about the high carb problem with bagels and the like.  She just doesn't seem to get it.  I've also told her that I have to eat at scheduled times (unless my blood sugar drops) but she doesn't seem to get that either.  If I eat breakfast at 6:30 am I cannot have a bagel at 8:30 am or I will pay a heavy price for it.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the gesture.  However, the constant pestering of "You know there's bagels" is driving me bonkers.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 02:25:08 PM »
So white lie next time she comes by to remind you "yes thank you, I had one!"
Ok so you had one, last month when you planned out he carb-fest that is a bagel, but whatever, she doesn't need that detail.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 02:53:30 PM »
Today is the last day before my university closes for Christmas break.  There are a grand total of 6 of us in the office today.

(snip)

AC brought enough food to feed 18 people
.  So far she has stopped by my window 8 times to remind me about the bagels.  Apparently, she bought them because she knows I can't eat sugar.

Are you sure that she's targeting you specifically?

Maybe she's stopping at every office to remind people that there's FREE FOOD! and wondering why there's so much left over? Maybe she feels unappreciated. "I brought all this food and nobody is eating it. What did I do wrong?"

:-\

Just a thought.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 04:29:12 PM »
I think a smile and a "Thanks, but I can't have anymore carbs today and as you know I'm on a very regulated schedule for my meals. Just know for the future that I won't be able to join in when goodies are brought to the office.   But I do appreciate the gesture and it is very sweet of you to bring in items for the office to enjoy."

IMHO, the above is not justifying your diet, it is educating a person you are in contact with on a regular basis. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 07:35:08 PM »
"Oh, I can't eat them, but I appreciate the thought!"

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 08:11:34 PM »
"Oh, I can't eat them, but I appreciate the thought!"

Yes
I was thinking "That was sweet of you! I miss being able to eat bagels."  ;)

Minmom3

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 08:36:23 PM »
This.  She IS being a pest, but she wants to be appreciated for her offering - as do we all when we bring 'stuff' to the office!  Hopefully, saying something like this to her might diffuse her?
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Dinsdale

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »
I don't think you need to lie...but a bit of misdirection might be called for - next time she stops by say something like "Yes, they're great!  That's so nice of you!".  You didn't say you had one, you didn't embarrass her, you gave her some strokes and you didn't lie.    ;D

Clareish

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 01:58:28 PM »
To be honest, she's being a nut. Yes, her heart might have started in the right place, but badgering someone EIGHT times in ANY situation is way too much.

After about the 3rd time, I would say something like, "I really appreciate you thinking about me, but I can not have any. Please stop asking."

And any time after that, I would simply say, "You have already asked me x number of times. Stop asking."

You do not have to educate, justify, or explain to her, as it is really none of her business, and this is not a situation where you asked her to buy these items for you. This is a workplace, and she is spending an awful lot of time harassing a coworker about food.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 03:38:50 PM »
After a while I'd feel like putting up a sign that say 'Yes, I know there are bagels' and point to it when she asked.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 04:27:11 PM »
She is not a nut except for pushing the issue.

When I was a kid, diabetes meant no sugar. It wasn't until about 25 years ago that I learned that diabetes means limited carbs, not just sugar and alcoho - as well as inumerable other issues that I (fortunately) don't have to understandl.

I'm wondering if this woman is working on the same sideways information that I grew up with.

She shouldn't push it, but I really think her heart is in the right place.

Just say 'thanks' and be done with it if you don't feel like enlightening her.