Author Topic: Bagels - Here We Go Again  (Read 8107 times)

LilacRosey

Re: Bagels - Here We Go Again
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 09:56:12 PM »
Oh no I thought it was cream cheese that was bad for you, not the bagels themselves I thought carbs was sugar :( I love bagels :(. Anyways, I think if you told her 8 times already you should just say to her that you appreciate it but you cant eat bagels so please stop remindingyou!, LilacRosey

lowspark

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2012, 09:09:50 AM »
I don't think the OP should take food items she doesn't want, just to appease her coworker's feelings

Me either. 

If this happens again, I see nothing wrong with you speaking up and just saying to her face, "I don't WANT any.  I can't have them.  Why is that so hard for you to understand?"

well, what would be wrong with that is that the OP has never said any of those things in the *first* place. So now being impatient, etc., over an explanation that has never been given would really be mean.

Explain things, please! Just say, 'It's so nice of you! Unfortunately, dense carbohydrates like bagels are even worse for me than sugar. So I can't have any. Is anyone else eating them? Will you be able to take the leftovers home?"

But she did explain it before:
I have told her about the high carb problem with bagels and the like.  She just doesn't seem to get it.  I've also told her that I have to eat at scheduled times (unless my blood sugar drops) but she doesn't seem to get that either.  If I eat breakfast at 6:30 am I cannot have a bagel at 8:30 am or I will pay a heavy price for it.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the gesture.  However, the constant pestering of "You know there's bagels" is driving me bonkers.

However, I agree that losing patience and replying angrily is not the answer.
That's why I suggest just saying "I've taken what I wanted, thanks."

BeagleMommy

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2013, 12:51:28 PM »
Thanks, all.  Just to clarify, every time she walked by to remind me about the bagels I simply said "Thanks."  I nevery got angry with her.  Just sort of noncommital.

This is the same woman who told me I was rude for not eating the gargantuan muffins at the new dean's welcome party, told me there was no such thing as gouda cheese, and that I was a snob for liking opera.  She normally doesn't speak to me unless she has to (which is fine with me).

I found out later that only 2 people in the office (Annoying Coworker and one other person) actually ate anything.  Like I said, it was our last day before Christmas break and only 6 people were in the office anyway.

Jocelyn

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2013, 07:07:26 PM »
Oh no I thought it was cream cheese that was bad for you, not the bagels themselves I thought carbs was sugar :( I love bagels :(. Anyways, I think if you told her 8 times already you should just say to her that you appreciate it but you cant eat bagels so please stop remindingyou!, LilacRosey
Carbs are sugar or starch. Pasta, rice, potatoes and bread all contain carbs; so does dairy and fruit. Anything that tastes sweet, or tastes sweet if you chew it long enough (your saliva will convert starch to sugar) has carbs in it, somewhere.
We diabetics plan when we eat carbs, and what kind we eat, and balance it with the protein and fat we're eating. Carbs can affect different people differently, and they affect us differently based on what else we're eating and how active we are. It's very annoying to have someone start telling you that they know another diabetic who eats thus-and-such. It's a matter of 'so what?' What works for one person won't work for another, and just because a person's a diabetic doesn't mean that s/he isn't overeating.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Somewhat OT, but many, many years ago I worked with a guy who was a vegetarian, but he ate the most unhealthy food I've ever seen a vegetarian eat.  He was at least 60 pounds overweight.  He ate sweets and carbs like they were going out of style, all the while insisting that his diet was healthier than mine because I consume dead animal flesh.  I haven't seen him in at least 15 years, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's diabetic by now. :-\
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 09:07:23 AM »
Another thing you could try...

Right now you are just saying "Thanks" or "I am aware you brought in bagels".  But you are not acknowledging her intentions.

"Thanks for letting me know! That was nice of you to think to bring them in!"

if she keeps bothering you then "It was super nice of you to bring that in and I appreciate your effort...unfortunately high carb density items like bagels doesn't fit into my diet but I know Bob took two!