Author Topic: What holiday foods do you dislike? (intensely)  (Read 7821 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: What holiday foods do you dislike? (intensely)
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2013, 03:55:21 PM »
Brunhilde has a recipe of cippolini or crimini onions in cheese sauce that I have to get from her.  It would make a good filling for baked potatoes.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2013, 04:49:40 PM »
French toast. While it may be everyday food in the US, it is strongly associated with Christmas here. I love anything with cinnamon and sugar, so I should love French toast, right? Wrong. I hate the texture and there isn't enough cinnamon on Earth to compensate for it.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2013, 06:36:20 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only lover of proper (fruit) Christmas/wedding cake
(Fruitcake for weddings is an British tradition - I suspect we may have exported it to Canada and Australia) Properly done it is glorious - loads of dried fruit, soaked in some brandy before you start cooking (I put very little candied peel into mine as it can be overpowering) cooked slowly so it stays moist, then wrapped and 'fed' with more brandy in the weeks running up to Christmas.

Until last year I thought I hated fruitcake. I'd only ever had the nasty dry kind with the horrid candied fruit. Then someone at work convinced me to try her homemade fruitcake made as described above and it was awesome! I made my own this year, with dark rum rather than brandy.

I loathe sweet potatoes with marshmallows/brown sugar/anything else sticky and sweet, have never tried green bean casserole and refuse to do so because it sounds nasty, and won't touch eggnog.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

MissRose

« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »
I am not a fan of green bean cassarolle but like picking the fried onions off the top of it instead.

I don't like sweet potato cassarolle but the smell doesn't bother me but my nephew eats my portion & for a few others as he loves how my aunt makes it.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2013, 06:49:55 PM »
Roast pork

Tamales

But then, both have meat (though the tamales can be made vegetarian).

I like pecan pie, but am terrified of breaking a tooth- I started avoiding it in 2011 when I had braces.

Green bean casserole- too salty.
I have pet mice!

kckgirl

« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2013, 10:20:30 AM »
For those of you who make green bean casserole using regular white sauce, does it taste ok without the mushrooms? I like green bean casserole, but just push the mushrooms aside (it's a texture thing with me). Do they really need to be there for the flavor? I want to try making the casserole with fresh ingredients, but don't know what to do about the mushrooms.
Maryland

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2013, 01:26:01 PM »
I sauté the mushrooms first, then add the flour to them to make the roux. You could use onions or shallots as the base first, or just go with a roux. I would recommend some bold seasoning to keep it from being bland, however.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2013, 02:07:51 PM »
My family also loves fruitcake: ours features just citron, coconut and slivered almonds soaked in lots of brandy. We never understood why people thought fruitcake was evil until my SIL brought a Claxton "dry" fruitcake this year as a joke. Those colors look unnatural and that thing is as hard as a rock: I accidentally knocked it off the counter and it bruised my foot. If that was all I had experienced, I'd hate it too!

MizA

• Every day is the best day ever.
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2013, 05:44:07 PM »
For those of you who make green bean casserole using regular white sauce, does it taste ok without the mushrooms? I like green bean casserole, but just push the mushrooms aside (it's a texture thing with me). Do they really need to be there for the flavor? I want to try making the casserole with fresh ingredients, but don't know what to do about the mushrooms.

You can also get dried mushrooms, grind them, and use them as a seasoning.  Instant umami!
)'( The world would rather hug you than hurt you )'(

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2013, 10:13:25 PM »
Not a fan of fruit cake and along the same lines I don't like raisin bread either. I do love mincemeat pie.

LilacRosey

« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2013, 05:32:58 PM »
I cant stand cranberry sauce all kinds and we always have it at my parents Christmas and thanksgiving dinners and they like me to try everything. Yuck!, LilacRosey

Margo

« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2013, 06:08:08 AM »

You can also get dried mushrooms, grind them, and use them as a seasoning.  Instant umami!
You could also use dried mushrooms to make mushroom stock - soak them for about 20 minutes in boiling water, then use the liquid when you make the white sauce. Should give you the mushroom flavour without having any actual mushrooms in the dish.

Cami

« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2013, 10:09:57 AM »
I don't like meat stuffings or dressings. I'm sorry, but they look like they've been regurgitated.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »
I really dislike green bean cassarole made the traditional way, but with cream of chicken soup instead of cream of mushroom, I actually think it's really good.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2013, 05:14:21 PM »
Question on mincemeat pies for those in the UK or Australia.  Does your mincemenat still contain any meat in them?  My mom would make mincemeat pies using a pre-made mix of mincemeat.  It was just fruit and seasonings, no meat.  (I just went and looked up the ingredients to confirm)

I'm not sure I ever had a mincemeat pie with actual meat in it, though I have run across recipes that still list meat as an ingredient.