Author Topic: What holiday foods do you dislike? (intensely)  (Read 7779 times)

MOM21SON

Re: What holiday foods do you dislike? (intensely)
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2013, 07:30:21 PM »
Sadly, I have never even tried Mincemeat pie.  My mother made it once, but told me it was made of something very different than what everyone here is saying, so I never tried it.

I would love to have a UK tried and true recipe for fruit cake.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2013, 04:55:44 AM »
Question on mincemeat pies for those in the UK or Australia.  Does your mincemenat still contain any meat in them?  My mom would make mincemeat pies using a pre-made mix of mincemeat.  It was just fruit and seasonings, no meat.  (I just went and looked up the ingredients to confirm)

I'm not sure I ever had a mincemeat pie with actual meat in it, though I have run across recipes that still list meat as an ingredient.
Mince pie has no meat, just an assortment of dried fruit and and booze, we only eat them at Christmas, the pastry is usually short crust .  Meat pie is served hot and is made of beef or lamb. They can be served all year long, the pastry is flakey. You just don't confuse them.

Victoria

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2013, 12:38:09 PM »
Egg Nog - although it's more the texture than the taste.
Green Bean Casserole - can eat if steaming hot and no french fried onions
Oyster Stuffing - Oyster-less if great though
Gravy - again a texture issue
Cranberry sauce - a texture thing once again, although Mom makes a really nice, chunky cranberry chutney type dish that is yummy and refreshing.
Strong/Fake Mint flavors - mint added to coffee or cocoa, yuck.
REAL Mincemeat  - is meatless now and a Mincemeat(less) pie is tasty.  My Granny used to make they Mincemeat-with-meat pies and - uhm - no thanks.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Margo

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2013, 03:50:27 PM »
Question on mincemeat pies for those in the UK or Australia.  Does your mincemenat still contain any meat in them?  My mom would make mincemeat pies using a pre-made mix of mincemeat.  It was just fruit and seasonings, no meat.  (I just went and looked up the ingredients to confirm)

I'm not sure I ever had a mincemeat pie with actual meat in it, though I have run across recipes that still list meat as an ingredient.
There's  no actual meat, but traditional recipies do include a little suet (beef fat) in the fruit filling. I think a lot of commercial suppliers both of mince pies and 'mincemeat' use a vegetarian-friendly alternative, these days. My Good Housekeeping recipie book calls for 8oz suet to 5lbs of fruit and 1lb of sugar. I've  never made it but by grandmother used to.

o_gal

« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2013, 08:27:22 PM »

There's  no actual meat, but traditional recipies do include a little suet (beef fat) in the fruit filling. I think a lot of commercial suppliers both of mince pies and 'mincemeat' use a vegetarian-friendly alternative, these days. My Good Housekeeping recipie book calls for 8oz suet to 5lbs of fruit and 1lb of sugar. I've  never made it but by grandmother used to.

Yes, there can be meat in mincemeat pie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincemeat). My MIL's recipe, which my Mom uses as well, calls for 1.5 lbs of ground or minced cooked beef. I think most people don't put meat in it now, and might call it simply "mince" pie. MIL's recipe cheats, though - it calls for 1.5 lbs of beef, 6 diced apples... and then 2 jars of NoneSuch mincemeat pie filling  :D