Author Topic: What holiday foods do you dislike? (intensely)  (Read 7869 times)

kckgirl

Re: What holiday foods do you dislike? (intensely)
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »
Fruitcake, creamed onions, rare/medium rare/medium any kind of meat, mince pie, pumpkin pie, cherry pie, oysters or any other seafood, egg nog, cranberry anything. I'm sure there is more, but I just can't think of any more for now.
Maryland

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2012, 10:07:52 AM »
All those who dislike green bean casserole and all those who dislike eggnog can send them my way!

edited because I completely misread the title of the thread....*headsmack*
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:20:20 PM by readingchick »

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2012, 11:46:59 AM »
I don't really dislike any of the foods that are traditional here, but just to say, I will more than happily take anyone's brussels sprouts.  ;D

I'll take any leftovers

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »
I'll take anything except for the green bean casserole and meat that is underdone.   
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2012, 12:14:52 PM »
Fruitcake.  :P My parents loved it. They even had fruitcake as their wedding cake (a Canadian thing, at least for their families).

Firecat

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »
Fruitcake (actually anything with candied fruit in it). Add me to the list of those who don't like gravy, too. I don't care for egg nog, either, and as far as I'm concerned, candy canes flavored with anything other than peppermint are just wrong  ;)

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2012, 12:36:07 PM »
I'm not really a pie person. I like lemon meringue pie, and chocolate/pudding pies, but that's it. No other fruit pies, no nut pies, no pumpkin pies. I can't help it - I'm just not fond of the texture of cooked fruit.

Add me to the list of people who does not like green bean casserole.

However, it's nice that the traditional meals are exactly what I decide they will be, because I do all the cooking  ;D I will make a few dishes I'm not crazy about if requested, but if no one asks, then why would I make something I don't like and won't eat? I'm not a mind-reader.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2012, 05:57:31 PM »
Eggnog. I've never had homemade, so maybe that would change my mind. I didn't try it for the longest time but was convinced I didn't like it. This year I baked some stuff with eggnog, so I tried a bit of what I had left over. I don't know if it was the brand or what, but...I didn't like it.

Cranberry sauce, especially from the can.

Sweet potatoes with marshmallows. I like sweet potatoes, but not from the can and not with marshmallows.

Green bean casserole, at least not the canned soup kind. I've had homemade green bean casseroles with fresh green beans, bechamel or roux and real fried onions and that's good. But the other kind is just gloppy and mushy to me.

Turkey. It stinks and I'm just not a fan of the taste. If I'm going to eat it, I'd much rather it be on a cold sandwich.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2012, 06:00:36 PM »
Fruitcake.  :P My parents loved it. They even had fruitcake as their wedding cake (a Canadian thing, at least for their families).
Wedding cake must be fruitcake, anything else is wrong.  >:D

Victoria

JennJenn68

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2012, 08:13:39 PM »
Wedding cake must be fruitcake, anything else is wrong.  >:D

Oh, is that specifically a Canadian custom?  I thought that it had to be German in origin, since my mother's family seem to be the purveyor of fruitcake for wedding cake, and they originate from a small German farming community that didn't have many outsiders at the time.  (Yes, it's in Ontario, but still...) My mother made it for us, and wrapped all of the bits individually-- a real labour of love on her and my dad's part.  I've never forgotten it.

My mother's fruitcake?  I loved it and miss it dearly, since she passed away.  I've never found another fruitcake recipe that I can choke down, so I guess that does go under the "dislike intensely" umbrella.

Minmom3

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »
Green jello 3 layer 'salad'.
Green bean casserole.
Candied yams.
Stove Top stuffing, followed by, to a lesser degree, DH's stuffing.
Any pureed squash with 'things' added for style and flavor.
Dried out turkey breast.

I will do my best to be discrete about not piling them on my plate and digging in, as I'm quite happy to pile other things on my plate and dig into them, but if somebody tries to coerce me into eating Their Favorite, it isn't going to end well.  I have been known to announce to the table (or my MIL) that "I'm XX years old, and I know what I like to eat and what I do not like to eat, and I'm NOT going to eat THAT!  I am a grown woman, not a 2 year old, and I will NOT be told what I must eat."  Since in no case have I EVER been the one making a stink about what is and is not on my plate until pushed repeatedly to eat XX, I have no shame any longer about refusing at volume.   >:D 
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2012, 09:08:26 PM »
Most of the things listed here are required for it to be the holidays for me.

However, I dislike the following:

Mint jelly or sauce
Lamb
Mincemeat
Gum Drops and jelly beans
Soft peppermint candies

I have never seen meat in a gelatin "salad" or dessert, and my family eats gelatin at every possible opportunity.

agentsmith

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2012, 09:13:18 PM »
Cool Whip
Mincemeat

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »
I will take everyone's pies, sweet potatoes, ham and turkey. I love them.

I grew up with the Texas style fruitcake, which is mainly pecans and some fruit. I don't care for any other kind.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »
I DESPISE Cool Whip as well, especially in cream puffs when you go to bite into one, expecting delicious whipped cream and taste the fakeness, YUKKKKKKKKK! I also dislike egg nog, as well as Turtles chocolates, they are too sweet for my taste.