Author Topic: What holiday foods do you dislike? (intensely)  (Read 7640 times)

2doglady

Re: What holiday foods do you dislike? (intensely)
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2012, 09:44:01 PM »
Chocolate covered cherries (cordials).  My Grandfather used to give me a double layer box every year for Christmas.  Hate them!  I used to cut off the top, scrape the cherry and accompanied goo out and then just eat the chocolate.  My Mom sometimes, as a joke, gives me a small box (4) just to bug me.  It was her Father, my Grandfather.   :D
Typical symptoms of stress are: eating too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast.

Are they kidding? Add wine and that is my idea of a perfect day.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »
I will take everyones egg nog.  I love the stuff and hate that you can only get it at the holidays.  I also use it in my french toast.  I'm doing baked french toast this year and will be adding a bit of nog into the egg batter.

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »
I also use it in my french toast.  I'm doing baked french toast this year and will be adding a bit of nog into the egg batter.

That sounds marvelous!!!  Must try it, must try it.

Low on my list of holiday foods:  mince pie, pecan pie, divinity, fruitcake, peppermint candy canes.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2012, 11:03:45 PM »
Chocolate covered cherries (cordials). 

I once ate too many of those when I was a kid, got really sick, and haven't liked them since. :(

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2012, 11:18:23 PM »
Chocolate covered cherries (cordials).  My Grandfather used to give me a double layer box every year for Christmas.  Hate them!  I used to cut off the top, scrape the cherry and accompanied goo out and then just eat the chocolate.  My Mom sometimes, as a joke, gives me a small box (4) just to bug me.  It was her Father, my Grandfather.   :D

:-X It makes me sad to learn that you defiled the magnificent deliciousness that is the chocolate covered cherry...

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2012, 11:30:39 PM »
I will take everyones egg nog.  I love the stuff and hate that you can only get it at the holidays.  I also use it in my french toast.  I'm doing baked french toast this year and will be adding a bit of nog into the egg batter.

You can always make your own any time of year. I Google "eggnog recipe" and this is the first that came. It has Alton Brown's name on it so I'm guessing it should be good: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2/index.html

I'm not a big fan of the green bean casserole but one year I made my own with homemade white sauce, fresh mushrooms and frozen green beans. It was a little better than the "all out of a can" version.

Oh and despite being French, I'm not too fond of the bche de Nol. It has just too much buttercream for me. The ice cream version is nicer.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:32:20 PM by BabylonSister »

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2012, 12:00:30 AM »
I also use it in my french toast.  I'm doing baked french toast this year and will be adding a bit of nog into the egg batter.

That sounds marvelous!!!  Must try it, must try it.

Low on my list of holiday foods:  mince pie, pecan pie, divinity, fruitcake, peppermint candy canes.

I will try to write everything down and post a recipe :)

SoCalVal

« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2012, 12:30:28 AM »
Eggnog -- I hate it, I hate it, I HATE IT.  The first time I tried it was over 30 years ago when I was a Brownie and thought it the most awful thing on the planet (I was seriously disappointed as I'd been so looking forward to trying it up to that point).  I've tasted it here and there over the years and continue to dislike it tremendously.

Jones

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2012, 12:49:40 AM »
I tried mince meat pie once, never again. I can't say my pie-loving extended family has it on the holiday table very often; every few years it debuts, one or two people have a nibble, and whoever made it takes home most of a pie.

Also, if I want my mouth to feel minty, I will brush my teeth. Spearmint, peppermint, anything tingly, I do not consider "pleasure food". I blame toothpaste for that, as I hated brushing as a child.

Anything with nuts is low on my list too. I'll eat it; on occasion I will like it (peanut brittle is an occasional fav), but anything that makes the nuts seem an afterthought is ruined by their presence.

RE: brussels sprouts, I have never seen them at a holiday dinner and did not try them until I was an adult. I can and will eat them if they have been frozen at some point; this lessens the bitterness, and I find them halfway tastey. However, it is all I can do to not lose the rest of my dinner when I bite into a picked-and-served-fresh bussel sprout. I can't recall succeeding in swallowing one yet...fortunately this trial has not happened in public.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 12:52:18 AM by Jones »

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2012, 03:22:01 AM »
I used to love stuffing/dressing.  But in recent years I cant stand it.  I say No, thanks, Ill just have potatoes (or whatever).

btw, I'm sure fruitcake is on most people's list.   :)

I've never understood the US aversion to fruitcake, which appears to crop up a lot on this board.  Real English fruitcake is wonderful stuff, the staple for wedding and Christmas cakes.  My Christmas cake has been 'fed' with marsala for the last six weeks and would knock your socks off.

If you really want something to dislike, try mince pies.  Sweet mincemeat really is disgusting stuff.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2012, 04:51:24 AM »
I'll take your unwanted mince pies too. Love a good mince pie.

Victoria

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2012, 06:09:02 AM »
I have to chime in with mince pie.  I tried to like it, but I just can't eat it.  It's not just the taste; I can't abide the smell.  My dad occasionally makes his own mincemeat in the crock pot, and it (in my opinion, at least) stinks up the house.  I don't swear up and down that I hate it, or make a big stink when it's served...I just don't eat it.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2012, 06:20:15 AM »
can i trade brussel sprouts and overly sweet meat dishes for everyone's unwanted cranberry sauce (canned, jellied)?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2012, 09:56:55 AM »
I'm probably the opposite of most everyone:

I love eggnog, fruitcake, brusselsprouts, and the sweetmeats of a bird.

I hate that french onion green bean casserole that everyone seems to make. I think it is one of the grossest dishes of all.  I like fresh green beans but the french onion goop ruins them and canned green beans taste off to me.   I also hate regular stuffing.  I do like oyster and liver stuffings. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2012, 10:20:01 AM »
Egg nog and anything else heavily dairy.  Sweet potatoes, especially if any more sweet anything is added to them.  Mince pie and fruitcake; no further comment required.