Author Topic: Family Christmas Card  (Read 5756 times)

mmmchocolate

Family Christmas Card
« on: December 21, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »
I received a card in the mail today that had me shaking my head a bit.  It was a photocard-on one side is a picture of the happy couple and on the other is an ultrasound picture of their 28 week baby.  The card said Merry Christmas from *Homer, Marge and Lisa or Maggie.

I thought it was kind of... off... somehow, and I am not crazy about ultrasound pictures anyway.  DH thinks it's fine and I'm being silly.  Curious as to what the concensus here is?

*Names changed, obviously.

BarensMom

Re: Family Christmas Card
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »
I agree with you - definitely off.  I wouldn't want to hang the ultrasound side on my wall.

cattlekid

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 04:49:31 PM »
I get a little squicked out by ultrasound pictures.  DH is totally offended by them.  I would have found a funny way to announce the pregnancy (maybe with a cute shirt or something?)  instead of the ultrasound. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 05:02:04 PM »
I would love it.

veryfluffy

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 05:47:18 PM »
Straight in the bin.

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 05:48:55 PM »
Those who don't like the ultrasound pics... why not? Just curious.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »
Ultrasound pics are absolutely boring.  They all look the same. (or almost the same)  *yawn* 

BarensMom

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 05:55:18 PM »

I don't want to see inside someone's body.  To me, it's like shoving your x-ray under someone's nose.

AreaWoman

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »

I've seen them a number of times lately, since I'm pregnant, and I'm not a fan either.  While I will love my baby when it arrives, it currently looks like some sort of alien being.  I would never send them to anyone else (except my mom, who specifically requested copies).  But, of course, some people think they are awesome, so it is probably "know your audience."  That takes it out of holiday card territory for me, though.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 06:28:07 PM »
I think no matter how you announce it some people will find ir boring or offputting or both. Some people are annoyed by t-shirts. I would consider my audience to.an extent but I also think personal tastes are personL. Ralph might not.like seeing someboby's ultrasound, Sue might be squicked by certain piercings, etc.

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 06:31:09 PM »
I think know your audience is good advice. I've heard complaints about holidays cards signed by dogs, cats, etc. i figure it is up to the sender who is considered family :)

Amara

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »
Ick.

bonyk

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »

Like someone else said, I get grossed out seeing someone's insides.  It just feels inappropriate to me, almost like they're showing off their private parts.

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 07:28:39 PM »
If it is announcing the pregnancy then I think it's fine.  If everyone already knows then it is a bit odd.  So you know, I think ultrasound pictures are interesting...it's a sneak peek of a baby before it arrives.  And I try to imagine what the baby will look like. The 3D ones can be a little freaky though.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 08:49:08 PM »
We received several cards from several couples who are expecting their first children. We already knew they were expecting, but I'm not sure everyone on their Christmas Card lists did.

One just has a couple of photos, one of which is of the very pregnant mother. I thought that was a nice way to announce.

Another has a photo of the couple but it's signed their names "and baby."

The third one has a few photos of the couple and does include an ultrasound photo. The photo didn't weird me out, but I agree with others that all ultrasound photos pretty much look the same.

My biggest issue with announcing pregnancies on cards is that it seems like counting your chickens before they've hatched. I know they're excited, but it just seems premature to me. Like people who are close to you already know you're pregnant, and if you're sending a card to acquaintances, trigger - highlight to read=> it's too much information in case of miscarriage. Then, you have to untell people if you miscarry.