Author Topic: Family Christmas Card  (Read 5499 times)

Shea

Re: Family Christmas Card
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 09:04:45 PM »
I think it's a bit TMI. I'm not grossed out by ultrasound pictures (as PPs have said, they all look exactly alike to me, unless they're those new 3D ones, in which case they look like the woman has been colonized by beings from another planet) but I think it's just a bit of overshare. Seems to me you could just sign the card with something like "and Baby Alexis" or whatever. Honestly I think signing a card from a fetus is also a little silly, but at least you're not sending medical images to your entire Christmas card list, and I understand that the parents-to-be are presumably excited about their forthcoming child.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Penguin_ar

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 07:54:25 AM »
I'm fine with the ultrasound pic.  To each their own- I don't mind that, or pets on the card, even though we only put parents and kids on ours.

I did get one card last year from an aquaintance with a "artistic" semi nude highly pregnant mama on it... that I found off. It was a nice photo actually, but not something I wanted on my mantle piece.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 08:02:18 AM »
Ultrasounds totally squick me out, as I don't want pictures of my own uterus, much less someone else's uterus.  In addition, the few that I've seen have come with a lot of pressure in the form of expectant parents saying "Do you see that?  There's the foot, can you see it?" and me having to say "No, I don't", so I have bad associations. 

I would be a little grossed out by the card, and would try very hard to keep it showing one side and not the other.  But, since our Christmas cards include pictures of our dog, and lots of people think dogs aren't family, I don't know that I would class the ultrasound as rude. 

peaches

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 08:25:09 AM »
I don't care for it. TMI, way too personal, and to me it seems a bit like tempting fate to announce a baby in that way. Far better to wait until the baby actually arrives.

Girlie

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 10:21:13 AM »
Huh. I guess I'm a bit perplexed by the feeling that an ultrasound photo is boring, or unsettling or too personal. I love seeing them. I'm not a mother, and I've never been a mother, but I really do enjoy the excitement that comes along with getting a new ultrasound. Everyone in my circle sort of views them the same way.

I only say that to point out that it's very possible that it wasn't even considered in a "know your audience" sort of way. The couple probably liked it, thought it was cute, and went with it.

That being said, what you do with it now is completely up to you. If you really don't like it, disgard it and don't give it a second thought.

Oh Joy

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 10:33:51 AM »
(Shrugs)

I'm not really interested in ultrasound pics and see how some folks are squicked out by them, but I expect these excited first-time parents had good intentions in including their best images of everyone on the holiday card.  At least people can just display the parents' side of the card.  I can think of worse impositions.

What caught my attention was the names; did they list two potential names for the little one?

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2012, 10:44:46 AM »
I think it's a little attention getting, myself.

deadbody

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »
We got a similar card a week ago.  I think it looks creepy cause they used the 3d ultra sound thing and those creep me out big time (the whole washed out type image and not totally formed baby thing is really creepy to me).

I think my wife hung it with the rest of the cards, I don't look there.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »
The holidays are a time when many people go a little overboard.  The joy of a child on the way can intensify that.

I understand the parent's enthusiasm but there are limits.  It's nice to hear that young Maggie is on the way but we would much prefer to see her after she's born. 

We have no problem with people adding the names of pets to cards but interior views of a person's body is something very different. 

ClaireC79

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »
What caught my attention was the names; did they list two potential names for the little one?

I assume it was one for a boy one for a girl

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »

I guess all cards with photos could be seen that way.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 01:00:49 PM »
It really is a matter of individual tastes in many things.  I far prefer the  ultrasound over the card signed by animals and while I find nothing at all disturbing about looking at them there are some piercings and tats that I find visually unpleasant - those spacer things force me to find some focal point off in the distance until I can get way.  But I also take ownership of that as my issue and realize that is not shared by a lot of people and some people might find my personal grossouts fascinating and attractive.  Now if I know somebody is bothered by ultrasounds and go out of my way to push one in that person's face just to bother them I think it is rude.  And while most people don't know my sensitivities it would be rude to try to flaunt it in my face just to push my buttons.  But for people who don't realize to ask how I like their piercing I don't think they have been rude. 

perpetua

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »

I don't see how including an ultrasound picture is any more attention-getting than sending a photocard in the first place, really. To be honest I'm far more offended by the concept of those in the first place than I would be by the inclusion of an ultrasound pic inside one of them.

Count me in with those who wouldn't be squicked out by it.

mmmchocolate

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
OP here.  They did not use the card as an announcement-everybody and their grandmother has known for months.  It's all over the mama's facebook page-where there are also tons of ultrasound pics posted.  They did list 2 potential girls names-they know it's a girl.  I thought that was another odd thing also.

It is a first baby, so maybe that is one reason they are going a bit overboard?

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 01:38:50 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with it.  Ehell is the only place I've ever heard of anyone having a problem with ultrasound images, so I don't think the couple could have reasonably anticipated that the recipients would be offended/grossed out. 

I also don't see the problem with them having not decided on a name yet, and sharing that bit of information.