Author Topic: Family Christmas Card  (Read 5670 times)

Allyson

Re: Family Christmas Card
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »
I'm not grossed out or disturbed by it, but I don't really see the point of ultrasound pictures either--to me they all look the same and it's just of no interest to me. So I would probably toss it but not be offended in any way. A little cutesy/attention-getting but not bothersome. Just not my thing.

veryfluffy

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 03:46:32 PM »
Unless it is the Virgin Mary's ultrasound, what is it doing on a holiday card?

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »
I think it is fine.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 09:25:53 PM »
Ultrasound pics are absolutely boring.  They all look the same. (or almost the same)  *yawn*

This. I was going to post exactly the same thing. It's just a bunch of squiggly lines, and I don't see how it could possibly be interesting to the world at large. Maybe to the soon-to-be grandparents, but that's about it. It comes across as a bit self-absorbed to think everyone wants to see them.

(Well someone upthread did ask). In reality, if I received such a card I'd probably think, "Oh how nice, a card from Jim and Sue and they are expecting." I wouldn't be offended or squicked out, but I also wouldn't be interested enough to look that closely.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 09:45:55 PM »
Once again, it is a matter of taste.  Just because you aren't interested doesn't mean that it isn't possible for other people to be interested.  to categorically state that X is boring or only grandparents could be interested is what I find a bit well, I don't know if self- absorbed is exactly right but it comes close.  I have received cards that include a picture of the family pet which some people might  be interested in and others might not.  There are even people who are not into kids who might feel that way about pictures of the tot post birth.  Or a picture of a couple when the individual only knows one part of the couple.  Yet I would never imagine they were self centered for including the pics.  And if I happened to be less than interested in a picture I would not assume that my tastes and interests are the prevailing ones among everyone getting their cards. 

Iris

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 10:02:41 PM »
Wouldn't worry me personally, and I'd probably spend an enjoyable minute trying to work out what were arms and legs etc on the ultrasound. A little cute for my taste, but that's hardly a crime at Christmas :)

I will agree, though, that it is a 'know your audience' thing. As well as people who don't like ultrasound pictures, I know my Grandmother would have been really distressed by that card. She was very superstitious and any concrete reference to an unborn child would have genuinely worried her.

However, if the parents-to-be knew that there were no superstious/ultrasound hating people then I think it's fine.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 07:23:36 AM »
I find the publicizing or sharing of ultrasound pictures odd. I don't know why, but it just seems unnecessary.

And this is despite the fact that I love ultrasounds! I've had 4 this pregnancy.  But I've never looked back at the pictures. I like hearing and seeing the baby move, both features that a picture does not capture!    To me an ultrasound is about checking things are ok, not a portrait session. But I guess it's personal preference.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 11:23:37 PM »
Totally inappropriate.  Would someone want to see my vaginal ultrasound?  I see no difference.  It is showing someone's innards.

nuit93

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 01:47:12 AM »
It strikes me as a bit odd, but I probably wouldn't think much of it.

onyonryngs

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2012, 10:20:04 AM »
It's an xray - no blood and guts are shown.  If you don't like it, throw it away.  They're not trying to be offensive or rude, but I think it is rude to see offense in a small gesture.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »
It's an xray - no blood and guts are shown.  If you don't like it, throw it away.  They're not trying to be offensive or rude, but I think it is rude to see offense in a small gesture.

I have no problem with ultrasounds, but if someone tells me that A or B squicks them out, then it squicks them out. I don't think they're being rude by feeling awkward. I don't think they're looking for offense. If someone feels uncomfortable by something, they just do. How can the posters here be rude just because they feel weird about something?

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2012, 05:48:01 PM »

I have no problem with ultrasounds, but if someone tells me that A or B squicks them out, then it squicks them out. I don't think they're being rude by feeling awkward. I don't think they're looking for offense. If someone feels uncomfortable by something, they just do. How can the posters here be rude just because they feel weird about something?

I don't think that the feeling is rude. I think the  implication that it is rude to send such cards is the problem. In my view, there is no rudeness to be found in either position.

Phoebe

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 09:47:11 PM »
Wouldn't bother me at all.  I'm fascinated by the things, truth be told.  And come on..baby! 

I'd rather receive a dozen ultrasounds of babies in a holiday card than those horrible year-end letters where the sender brags on and on and on....  ::) and on...

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2012, 06:07:57 AM »
To me the comparison doesn't really hold up either. You can let people see your pierced nose but not pierced intimate areas for example - wouldn't generally be considered "the same".

The comparison did cause me to wonder though, if it is rude to send an ultrasound because of what some people see/feel they see in it, would it be rude to send a card with a print of Georgia O'Keeffe's flowers? I mean, some people look at an ultrasound and see a baby, the miracle of life, etc. Others see a uterus, somebody's inside's. With Georgia O'Keeffe some people see beautiful irises, others might see female genitalia. So would it be rude to risk it? Is the person sending the card obligated to know what/how others might see an image?

peaches

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2012, 06:39:39 AM »
I wouldn’t say it’s rude to send an ultrasound photo as a Christmas card. I’m not sure anyone here is saying that. 

I believe some people, like me, are saying this is something I wouldn’t do. I consider it too personal, unnecessary, a little off-putting – that’s not the same thing as being rude, at least not to me. I think “rude” is too strong a word for this.

In deciding what to put into or on a Christmas card, I’d be asking myself “Is this something others would enjoy?” The sonogram wouldn’t pass that test for me.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 06:41:57 AM by peaches »