Author Topic: Dawn wedding + evening reception... is this unusual? #37, #67 She went =)  (Read 7610 times)

Emmy

Re: Dawn wedding + evening reception... is this unusual? #37 Odd update
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2012, 12:30:40 PM »
A coworker was trapped chose to stay at a 12 hour wedding yesterday.

I'm starting a campaign to inform people that they don't have to be a Prisoner of Etiquette™.

I agree.  Unless the doors were bolted shut, nobody was 'trapped'. 

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2012, 01:49:23 PM »
Well, at least it is over for a few centuries!
There will be no 13-13-13.

There'll be 01-01-2101.  ;)

Yeah, but I won't be around to witness it!
 ;D
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »

Don't think I'[ll be around quite that long.....144 seems a bit past the current life expectancy.  Although it would be FUN to be a gross of years old!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

CakeEater

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2012, 03:34:51 AM »

Yeah, but I won't be around to witness it!
 ;D

At least the wedding would only go for 1 hour, though, according to tradition in this thread!

pwv

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2012, 04:27:32 PM »
there might not be a 13-13-13 but there is always 11-12-13 to look forward to.

Amara

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2012, 04:51:06 PM »
. . . there is always 11-12-13 to look forward to.

And a 12-13-14!

Lindee

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2012, 05:21:38 PM »
Not if you live in Australia. day - month - year is the order.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2013, 02:58:37 AM »
Update part 2:

Friend went to the dawn wedding. She was actually quite complimentary about it, saying it was for the most part wonderfully sweet and romantic, with a few sporadic moments of inadvertant guest torture (including no actual chairs at the wedding, but rather having the guests seated on bales of scratchy hay, in their short party dresses, which must have been fun  :o ). The only real downside to it was apparently her partner having to be up for a flight that took off at argh-o'clock the next morning, but the formal "last dance" was only held at 9pm, before their long drive back (I guess they were too polite to leave early).
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Shopaholic

Re: Dawn wedding + evening reception... is this unusual? #37, #67 She went =)
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2013, 04:28:23 AM »
What did they do between the dawn wedding and the evening reception?

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2013, 04:46:07 AM »
I actually forgot to ask.  :P
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »
Update part 2:

Friend went to the dawn wedding. She was actually quite complimentary about it, saying it was for the most part wonderfully sweet and romantic, with a few sporadic moments of inadvertant guest torture (including no actual chairs at the wedding, but rather having the guests seated on bales of scratchy hay, in their short party dresses, which must have been fun  :o ). The only real downside to it was apparently her partner having to be up for a flight that took off at argh-o'clock the next morning, but the formal "last dance" was only held at 9pm, before their long drive back (I guess they were too polite to leave early).

Ugh, why is this now a trend? I've talked to several people now who have been to weddings with "farm" decor. First off, hay is expensive and some places in the country are having shortages, so why waste it by sitting on it? Second, it's really scratchy. If you're going to use it for seating, spend the time actually covering it to make it comfortable...third, I imagine it's a bit messier to clean up after than folding chairs would have been!
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2013, 09:27:26 AM »
Ok - I would have walked out at the hay thing - or spent the next 6 months - year dealing with the consequences.  I agree that people let niceness trap them into uncomfortable events and that if we all started politely declining to participate it would stop.

Isn't there a story in the archives about a wedding where the preacher basically locked the doors or ushers prevented people from leaving and told the wedding guest they were going to go to hell for over an hour.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Jocelyn

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2013, 11:00:21 AM »
Ugh, why is this now a trend? I've talked to several people now who have been to weddings with "farm" decor. First off, hay is expensive and some places in the country are having shortages, so why waste it by sitting on it? Second, it's really scratchy. If you're going to use it for seating, spend the time actually covering it to make it comfortable...third, I imagine it's a bit messier to clean up after than folding chairs would have been!
Those are straw bales, not hay. Straw is the stalks that's used for bedding; it has no nutritive value.
Many a city girl has tried to make friends with a horse by offering it straw. It's the equine version of offering your guests styrofoam peanuts as snack. ::)

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2013, 11:30:26 AM »
A coworker was trapped chose to stay at a 12 hour wedding yesterday.

I'm starting a campaign to inform people that they don't have to be a Prisoner of Etiquette™.

I agree.  Unless the doors were bolted shut, nobody was 'trapped'.

I agree.  I think it's more than a bit dramatic to claim the guests were "hostages" or to say they were "trapped". 

Though the wedding wasn't well thought out, as ehell has taught me, an invitation isn't a summons and the guests are more than able to decline the invite. 

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »
Those are straw bales, not hay. Straw is the stalks that's used for bedding; it has no nutritive value.
Many a city girl has tried to make friends with a horse by offering it straw. It's the equine version of offering your guests styrofoam peanuts as snack. ::)

Horse person here, and IMO, hay can be scratchy, especially if it's not good quality. Especially if you're wearing a wedding-appropriate dress/skirt instead of pants!

The hay/straw mixup really irritates me too...like in the episode of The Office where Dwight made a hay maze, that was clearly all straw. Normally I would have let it go, but since Dwight's character really would have known the difference, it really bugged me.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!