Author Topic: Do you give YOURSELF a Christmas gift?  (Read 2946 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Do you give YOURSELF a Christmas gift?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 08:42:01 PM »
 Yes!

I pick something that I really want that's frivolous and I would normally never buy. Last year, I bought silk pajamas- so comfy and pretty! This year, I'm still deciding between a silk negligee set and a weekend trip.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Ereine

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 01:17:11 AM »
I usually end up calling something my Christmas guft to me, especially if it's a bit of an indulgence instead of an absolute need. This year it's red winter boots. I did already have warm winter shoes but they're very unpretty and don't work with skirts and it's good to have another pair anyway and the new boots were on sale.

Redsoil

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 03:34:14 AM »
I tend to indulge all year 'round (oooh, shiny!)

However, I did buy myself a gift especially for Christmas this year.  I haven't unboxed it yet - am waiting.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/08/apen-writes-on-paper-smartphones-tablets/

Dis!  Woohoo! 
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

misha412

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »
I do give myself a Christmas gift and a birthday gift each year.

I allow myself to indulge in something I would not normally buy 364 days of the year. Since my b-day is in July and of course Christmas in December, it has nice spacing.

Sometimes it is a small thing, but sometimes it is a big item.

(and the cashews sound yummy)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 09:45:54 AM »
Yup.  I finally cut off my abusive mother a few months ago, so I used the money I would have spent on gifts for her and bought myself some jewellery!

Carotte

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 12:02:51 PM »
Since none of my parents were gifted with the ability of reading a list or remembering what I told them when they asked (I've even tried very detailed list in very different price range)* - I've started to ask for giftcard/money and get them myself, but I also get something from me. I don't spend a lot during the year, so everyonce in a while (christmass, birthday) I get myself something I've been wanting (usually for a few months already). This year I'm not sure, either a ring from Etsy or the season 6 dvd boxset of Doctor Who.

*I'm not saying that to be mean, I appreciate that they give me something and all, but it's so far from what I would like/ask that it's hard to believe that they've supposedly known me for 24 years sometime  ::)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 02:20:32 PM »
Since none of my parents were gifted with the ability of reading a list or remembering what I told them when they asked (I've even tried very detailed list in very different price range)* - I've started to ask for giftcard/money and get them myself, but I also get something from me. I don't spend a lot during the year, so everyonce in a while (christmass, birthday) I get myself something I've been wanting (usually for a few months already). This year I'm not sure, either a ring from Etsy or the season 6 dvd boxset of Doctor Who.

*I'm not saying that to be mean, I appreciate that they give me something and all, but it's so far from what I would like/ask that it's hard to believe that they've supposedly known me for 24 years sometime  ::)

MIL knows exactly what her DD likes - she gets her two boys mixed up - to the point of telling VorGuy that his favorite cake is the one that HE knows his brother prefers - then arguing with MusicGuy (seems a good name for him) that his favorite cake is the one that VorGuy prefers.  Granted, both are chocolate cakes.....but Devil's Food and German Chocolate cake are not interchangeable when you've promised your kid that you will make & serve THEIR favorite meal.  (The rest of the menu was similarly confused, if I recall correctly - but it's been a while - good thing that the two guys have similar tastes, the meal was not inedible, it just wasn't their "favorite" - more like #3 of the top five).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

magicdomino

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 02:25:47 PM »

Do we have the same relatives? I hope not, because mine were still way off the mark when I was in my 40's.   :)  Yes, I buy Christmas gifts for myself.  Of course, I buy gifts for myself all year round, but I'm counting a sweatshirt from ICanHasCheezeburger as my Christmas gift.  (It's black with an evil looking white cat under the mistletoe.  Underneath, it says, "I dare you.")

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 03:21:19 PM »
No. I have never felt that I "deserve" or am "entitled" to a gift. Those people who complain that their husbands or kids didn't give them a present really make me tired! Lucas and I do not exchange gifts, If we do find something perfect for the other or perfect as a couple, we buy it. If someone misses my birthday or Mother's Day, well, that's the way it is.

I buy stuff for me when I need or want it, though I must admit that my "needs" have gone from Windsong or Emerade to Oscar, and from boxed wine to the most  middle Reiseling I can find, from cheaper than Hershey to at least Lindt, and from whatever shoes Walmart has on sale to SAS or Naturalizer. And I needed that saphire jewelry to go with that outfit.  So, I don't go overboard and I think that many brands are charging just for the name (Coach and Vera Bradly come to mind - I get tired of purses anyway!), so I don't indulge too much.

For my iPad, I saved my self-inflicted allowance until I could buy it for cash. Same for my iPhone.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 04:00:14 PM »
This year I am giving myself a book on making mechanical cards.  I bought it as a gift for someone last year but didn't give it to them so this year I wrapped it and put my name on it from Santa (I love that book.  I was kind of coveting it.) 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

miredrose326

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 05:44:31 PM »
Depends on the year and the budget. As my kids are getting older they do tend to find me something nice for Christmas. My parents also tend to buy me most of the things I put on my wishlist because I don't have a husband to buy for me (but more because it makes them happy to spoil me, just like it makes me happy to spoil my kids).

This year I ordered my mom a nice gift set from The Body Shop but to get free shipping, I had to add a few extra things for myself. I was going to wrap that up from Santa but my son was short on Christmas money. I figured he should spend the little bit of money he had on a nice gift for his girlfriend (he got her a pretty picture frame and put a picture of them from the Christmas formal in it) so I gave him the stuff from The Body Shop to wrap up for me.

My beautiful babies 

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 06:00:22 PM »
I do. I treated myself to a day shopping, eating, and looking at lovelies (things i can't afford, but enjoy looking at them-). I was alone, and got to wander, and poke to my hearts content. No rushing, no "why at you looking at that?", no unspoken sense of impatience. My day. And I had a blast.    ;D

I did, however, break down and buy myself a bike this past spring--I've wanted it for years....was led to think that I got it for Christmas a couple of years running.....I obviously didn't, so I saved like crazy, collected aluminmum cans....and bought it. 

"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

Redsoil

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 12:21:35 AM »
Good on you Girlie!  It's nice to just do what you want, when you want, and enjoy yourself.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 11:32:48 AM »
I come from a family that is full of inveterate bargain hunters, who also seem to think that cash is always the best gift (since they don't have to spend any time on it). Other than money from our grandparents, we wouldn't have gotten gifts (mom and dad got the annual Christmas gift from my grandparents early, then spent most of it on us) as kids, and even though we're all better off now than we were then, gifts are just not a big deal for them to buy for others, parents or grandparents - but I do dearly love them. It's one small way for me to feel like they actually care about what I like. (yes, this is starting to sound like therapy!).

I buy myself a birthday gift every year, and a Christmas gift - just with someone else's money.

Arrynne

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 11:41:14 AM »
I include myself when I'm buying stocking stuffers.  If I don't, I won't get any.  My husband always remembers to get me a gift, but I'm in charge of the stockings.  This year, I'm getting some "Smart Mass" thinking putty, an infectious disease stress ball, some chocolates shaped like D&D dice, a "Le Whif" chocolate inhaler, and one of those chocolate oranges.