Author Topic: Do you give YOURSELF a Christmas gift?  (Read 3210 times)

katcheya

Re: Do you give YOURSELF a Christmas gift?
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 04:45:03 PM »
Technically, it's "from the cat."

I saw an AMAZING online deal on a KitchenAid stand mixer a few weeks ago.  I've been eying one for the past couple of years.  I wasn't going to get it.  I was debating out loud, and my partner told me to get it.  I sighed, shook my head, and said no.  Then partner told me that the cat told him I should get it.

Well, if the CAT says so...

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2012, 11:08:11 PM »
I don't normally buy myself anything for Christmas, but my birthday is two weeks before, so I usually buy myself one or two, or three, or more, gifts.  I love Vera Bradley, and if you sign up, you get a $20 coupon, so I always buy myself a new bag. this year i also got a really nice Seiko watch from Groupon, and a nice silver ring.

A couple years ago I bought myself a Kindle. 

bonyk

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2012, 05:29:08 AM »
DH is a terrible gift giver.  I may start this tradition next year!

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »
I always buy myself a present.  That way I can guarantee that I get at least ONE present that I like. 

Last year I bought a new car.  This year I bought a new sewing machine. 
Past presents have included a new Dyson vacuum, a KitchenAid mixer, and a Select Comfort mattress. 

Yup, I love myself a WHOLE LOT. 

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »
Not really. We can't afford to get each other really expensive gifts, but while there are always books on my Amazon wish list I usually buy myself several over the course of the year, or I get myself little treats at the store every now and again. DH does the same.

Reader

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »
I do if I'm not exchanging with significant other.  More than 3 years running, so I've given myself some pretty kick bacon fed knave boots in burgundy, a mug club membership to my favorite brewery, and this year it was my favorite perfume. 

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2012, 04:13:57 PM »
I do if I'm not exchanging with significant other.  More than 3 years running, so I've given myself some pretty kick bacon fed knave boots in burgundy, a mug club membership to my favorite brewery, and this year it was my favorite perfume.

Gotta love the EHell word filter!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2012, 04:40:55 PM »

Sometimes there are sales that are too good to pass up if there is something I know I need. This year it was Gish buying himself some new boots he really needed. One year I bought myself a ferret for my own birthday. Ironically she ended up being Gish’s little buddy and his favorite ferret ever.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2012, 09:08:15 PM »

I saw an AMAZING online deal on a KitchenAid stand mixer a few weeks ago.  I've been eying one for the past couple of years.  I wasn't going to get it.  I was debating out loud, and my partner told me to get it.  I sighed, shook my head, and said no.  Then partner told me that the cat told him I should get it.

Ditto. I'd never buy a present for myself, but sometimes my dogs are just very generous. :)

katcheya

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2012, 09:32:27 AM »

Pets are very generous in my family.  My father's fish always bought him a Christmas present!
Ditto. I'd never buy a present for myself, but sometimes my dogs are just very generous. :)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2012, 07:37:10 PM »
I am a Gemini - so I suppose I could say that the present came from my "twin" or my "inner child" - or even Snarky & Evil!

Whoever gave it to me used MY money...so I have to admit that TECHNICALLY I bought it for myself.

VorGuy has gotten me a few really perfect presents over the last 37 (a green baby dragon hatching from a "golden" shell, a unicorn that stood almost two feet high or roughly .7 of a meter or so, a wizard, a couple of books, some jewelry, satin nightie, slippers, & matching robe, and my favorite perfume - and a few misses - the same perfume that his mother uses comes to mind as an example - since my DD reads this list, I'm not going to list all the examples* that come to mind).

*Not all of them X-rated - but I know who ended up eating more than half the box of chocolates** and it wasn't ME!

** Chocolates for "both of us" or "me" are now hidden and I dole them out rather than left where he knows where to find them.  We got a box of chocolate covered peanuts made by Grandpa for "the family" this year - more than half the box was gone by the time we got home and I had 2 or 3 of them - not a dozen!  I did get told that I could have the entire box of Grandpa's special oatmeal raisin cookies...if they'd have been chocolate chip, I would have been lucky to get TWO.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 11:57:41 AM »
Normally, the hubby and I go in on one pricey & frivolous gift to be "for us" for Christmas (past gifts include our Wii, PS3, and a new big screen TV) but now that we have our son (and he's big enough to notice presents) we're starting to make a bigger effort for surprise gifts. I made a wish list on Amazon plus hubby has a frequently updated list of books I want, organized by author. Our birthdays are really close together as well, but for that, we aim for a more "token" gift and then do something big as a family (2013 we're going to a Three Days Grace concert that happens to be on DH's birthday...I used that to justify upgrading to VIP tickets).

But I have my own spending allowance, so I can gift myself whenever I want, with whatever I want, be it books, perfume, or clothes. So far, DH has been pretty good on the gifting front, at least for me. My dad just sends money now, which is great for me but aggravating for the toddler (2 year olds don't care about cash for some reason)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »
Last year, VorGuy bought a lot of gift certificates for various restaurants - so we could go out to dinner together.  This year, he's heading out to buy a few more and will come home to look for the ones that he thinks still have something left on them (I have no idea if they have a balance left on them - I wasn't keeping them in my wallet).

I have to admit, it was one of his better couple gifts for "us" as I love to go out and he loves to get a "bargain"!

And he prefers to give cash because he "doesn't see enough of extended family" to feel like he's making a good guess at what they want.

I have found that teenaged (or nearly teenaged) girls usually like nail polish, checks, glittery nail files, and "pretties" - but the checks seemed to be the most fun in the stockings (first time we've seen the girls open their presents in four or five years....they live roughly 530 miles away (300 plus miles closer to us than our daughter, SIL, and grandson - but my brother & his family are not people that we have been invited to "come see us" - so VorGuy doesn't plan trips in their direction).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

nuit93

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2012, 02:20:19 PM »
I did a bit of shopping at some of my favorite Etsy clothing stores.

LibraryLady

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
I just bought myself a 4G iPhone for .99 cents (plus a 2 year contract) and a 2G data plan which did raise my phone bill  :-\

(time for new phone upgrade from Verizon)