Author Topic: Stocking stuffers  (Read 1217 times)

Gwywnnydd

Stocking stuffers
« on: December 22, 2012, 07:16:14 PM »
This is the first year that my boy is interested in the idea of stockings, so I'm at a bit of a loss what to get him. I know there has to be an orange in the toe, and a big candy bar, but what other tchochkes do people come up with?
He's 9, if that helps.

Jones

Re: Stocking stuffers
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 07:18:06 PM »
Quarters, plastic cane full of favorite candy, couple pairs of new socks, chapstick and some small toy.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »
This is the first year that my boy is interested in the idea of stockings, so I'm at a bit of a loss what to get him. I know there has to be an orange in the toe, and a big candy bar, but what other tchochkes do people come up with?
He's 9, if that helps.

Matchbox car, mini puzzle, Pokemon cards or other trading cars, tiny stuffed animal, gum, mints, gloves?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 07:22:56 PM »
Markers and/or fun pencils

P12663

• I can take dragons. Or give them away. Honest.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 07:23:38 PM »
Don't forget the novelty flashlight; batteries appropiate for whatever else he might be getting; small soduko puzzle book; comic book.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 07:23:43 PM »
Small toys, batteries, toy soldiers, gum, a new toothbrush

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 07:34:24 PM »
My 9yo's always must have a little tub of colored bath fizzies  :D. One year santa forgot and it was an issue. lol

Also a couple of Lego mini figures, fuzzy socks with a holiday pattern, a book, Chapstick, gum, travel sized toothpaste and shampoo, toothbrush, 2 or 3 special candies and a small toy.

JennJenn68

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 07:59:56 PM »
With my son, we changed the "orange" in the toe of the stocking to a Terry's Chocolate Orange.  It's still his very favourite part of Christmas, and he's almost fourteen!

When he was younger, it was dollar store stuff.  He loved it.  Now that he's older and less likely to woof down too much candy and make himself sick, there's a lot more chocolate involved.  It's nice that he enjoys sharing with ol' Mom and Dad, too! ;D

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 08:30:51 PM »
In our house, stockings always had a large orange, a large apple, chocolate bars, the Lifesaver 'Story Books' that had 10 different rolls of lifesavers, and in my case, paperback books.  There were always scratch and win lottery tickets, too.

Now, we've expanded a bit.  I get individual bags of nuts from Costco (peanuts, almonds, cashews) and put those in. We often put in smaller jars of pickles and olives, too.  Ju jubes, licorice, pretzels, that kind of thing.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 08:33:07 PM »
My parents always added a magazine and/or book.  Mainly because the stockings were the only thing we were allowed to open before the other kid got up so it gave us something to do while waiting. :)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 08:44:51 PM »
I don't think there is any universal thing that must be in stockings.   We never had oranges and lottery tickets would definitely not appear unless it was introduced by a guest or inlaw.  Some parents go heavy with candy, some skip it altogether.

A CD or DVD could be a possibility. Maybe a GC. As an option to an orange if there is a Harry and David store near you they have their pears available in individual packaging. Socks in the stocking can be fun, although girls have cuter socks than boys. If he has his own shower gel, shampoo, soap, whatever. Some of those individual packets of specially flavored hot chocolate. There's the Slnky, Rubic's cube ....

Girlie

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »
I'm 26, but I still get a stocking every year from my inlaws. They've put decks of playing cards, interesting pens or markers, writing pads, all sorts of candies and other treats, books, hair ties or clips, a small manicure/ pedicure set, small figurines, stickers, silly glasses, compact mirrors, lottery tickets, and so forth in mine. The basic rule seems to be to choose things that a person might like to have that wouldn't really be considered a "gift" or else a very "good" lone gift. All together, though, the stuff is excellent. :)

mmswm

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 09:23:45 PM »
My family tradition growing up, and now for my boys, is to fill the stocking with toiletries.  We go shampoo, conditioner, body wash,  bubble bath, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and when we were old enough, deodorant, razors and shaving cream.  I looked forward to my stocking every year so much, that I was devastated when my mother stopped giving me one and I had to buy my own bath items for the first three months of the year :D
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ClaireC79

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 06:29:07 AM »
for my 9 year old
-chocolate orange (buy 1 get 2 free in Tesco so all the kids have them)
-bag of marbles
-Lego DVD (the film that was about 2
-character themed bath/shower gel
-Ben 10 bath bomb
-3 'surprise' bags (the little minature characters - I think I got him thundercats as I pick them up on offer)
-stationary set (pens/pencils)

magician5

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 09:42:19 AM »
There is nothing that beats a candy bar. All you can do is add more candy bars.

I promise, any kid will believe in Santa well into his 40th year if you keep filling the stocking with chocolate!
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.