Author Topic: Fridges with ice makers - do you have one?  (Read 3093 times)

Kaymyth

Re: Fridges with ice makers - do you have one?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »
We have an ice maker, but it has a few....issues.  Every so often, it freezes up, and we have to pull out the tray and chop the melded ice into little bits.  This is apparently a problem endemic to the Frigidaire brand.

So.....if you get a fridge with an ice maker, don't get a Frigidaire. :)

Lynnv

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »
We have an icemaker-and I do love it.  What we were picky about was the "through the door" feature.  From what we read in various consumer reports, the through the door feature was the most likely part of an ice-maker to break (and the ice-maker, overall, was more likely to break than anything else on the fridge).  So we went with one that doesn't do through the door ice.  And we haven't missed it at all.  I do love the cold water that is inside the door of the fridge-and that is set up so it will easily work with water bottles.

Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Amara

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 01:12:45 PM »
No ice maker here. I have thought about one but the plumbing issue another poster mentioned is something I just cannot get past. Plus, having seen a number of Restaurant Impossible shows where Irvine finds an ice machine (okay, different but still ...) that hasn't been cleaned regularly is just obscene. And dangerous healthwise. I would rather make ice cubes where I control the cleanliness.

Jelaza

• Meow
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »
I have a fridge with an icemaker; it was here already when I moved in.  Both the icemaker and the water dispenser broke years ago, and I'm not replacing a perfectly good refrigerator just for a new one.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 01:32:51 PM »
I've never had a regrigerator without an icemaker. I can't imagine having to fill ice trays all the time.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Octavia

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 01:57:31 PM »
I broke down and bought a refrigerator with an ice maker and water dispenser but drew the line at having the through-the door dispensers. The through-the-door parts are what people complain about breaking and having to replace every few years. So for my refrigerator, you have to open the refrigerator door to get to the water dispenser. And you have to open the freezer door and scoop the ice out of the ice cube tray. But I've had no problems since buying it over three years ago.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

magicdomino

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »
No ice maker here.  I don't that much ice -- none at all during the winter -- and there isn't any plumbing on that side of the kitchen.  However, most models of refrigerators do have ice makers.  I couldn't find one without the ice maker that fit the spot between cabinets, and didn't stick out into the floor. 

Iris

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 02:31:36 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Suzie Q - that is the exact fridge I've been coveting. Do you find it reliable?

A little more on our situation. I wouldn't really use the ice - however my children would use it morning, noon and night and never, ever refill ice cube trays. I, on the other hand, would use the filtered water all the time. I don't care for the taste of our tap water and so buy bottled water regularly so that will be a saving. Plumbing shouldn't be a problem. We have a friendly neighborhood plumber who plumbed in our dishwasher (directly next to the fridge) for not much money.

You've all given me a lot to think about - I still am leaning towards going with one but I know far better what to research re filter costs etc. Thanks!
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Specky

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 02:46:42 PM »
We have the Samsung fridge, and love it.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »
both my sisters have them. I wish i did - i love ice water, i love ice cubes (it's a genetic thing in my family ;D)

but if i could afford that kind of fridge , i would get it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

wheeitsme

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 02:57:33 PM »
I've lived with and without ice makers.  I definitely prefer with.  It isn't "through the door", but that's fine.  Ice whenever we want or need it is an underrated luxury.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 03:54:43 PM »
My family rarely uses ice and if I am hosting people, I have to remember to make ice the day of and before.

So, take this for what it is worth from someone who orders drinks without ice-
I know two families that had house floods from their fridge/water/ice maker malfunction.  That was very expensive to replace.

But if you will miss it, go for it.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

strangetimes

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 03:58:06 PM »
We just got a new fridge and while it doesn't have an automatic icemaker, it has a cool ice tray set up that makes ice really fun! It has two sets of ice trays (four trays total) and each one empties into a shallow drawer underneath. The trays are on a spring loaded mechanism- when the ice is ready, you turn the knobs and the ice cubes fall into the drawer below. The trays still need to be filled, but I find that my kids love that part, because they want to have a chance to turn the trays over.

This is not our fridge, but if you look at the inner view, you can see what I mean in the top right of the freezer. It's not as convenient as an automatic icemaker, but it won't break down and it's much easier to deal with than regular trays.
http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/602l-sharp-french-door-fridge-sjf60pcwh/

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 04:08:12 PM »
No ice maker here. I have thought about one but the plumbing issue another poster mentioned is something I just cannot get past. Plus, having seen a number of Restaurant Impossible shows where Irvine finds an ice machine (okay, different but still ...) that hasn't been cleaned regularly is just obscene. And dangerous healthwise. I would rather make ice cubes where I control the cleanliness.
I wouldn't have one because of possible contamination issues, as you said.  Even if you think you are cleaning it, are you?  I opt for trays and not have to think about cleaning an ice-maker.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2012, 05:07:23 PM »
My fridge has TWO ice makers! Our old fridge had the ice maker die years ago, so when we replaced it, and I saw a fridge that had two ice makers I got it! It has one in the freezer and one in the fridge door. Makes 10 pounds of ice a day. I love it!!!!! No more being the only one to fill the ice trays and never getting any ice because everyone else uses the trays and leaves them empty.

We have this fridge: http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances/refrigerators/RF263TEAESR/AA

I have the same fridge except we opted for the internal water dispenser and ice in the bottom freezer only.  We wanted the extra shelf and fridge space.

OP - make sure you shop around.  Many places price match.  The fridge below was on sale at Best Buy for $1100 when we bought it two years ago.  I went to Lowes, they matched the price PLUS had free deliver and haul away of the old fridge.   

We are VERY happy with this fridge.  I love the drawer across the bottom.  Even little yogurt cups fit in it.

storage space