Author Topic: Fridges with ice makers - do you have one?  (Read 3084 times)

suzieQ

Re: Fridges with ice makers - do you have one?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2012, 05:10:48 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Suzie Q - that is the exact fridge I've been coveting. Do you find it reliable?

A little more on our situation. I wouldn't really use the ice - however my children would use it morning, noon and night and never, ever refill ice cube trays. I, on the other hand, would use the filtered water all the time. I don't care for the taste of our tap water and so buy bottled water regularly so that will be a saving. Plumbing shouldn't be a problem. We have a friendly neighborhood plumber who plumbed in our dishwasher (directly next to the fridge) for not much money.

You've all given me a lot to think about - I still am leaning towards going with one but I know far better what to research re filter costs etc. Thanks!

We have had no problems from the fridge itself. The panel that has the lights on it has been replaced TWICE since we got the fridge 4 months ago! But it cost nothing, because it's under warranty. The ice lights went out - everything still worked fine, but I figured I'd get it fixed while under warranty. :)
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »
We just got a new fridge and while it doesn't have an automatic icemaker, it has a cool ice tray set up that makes ice really fun! It has two sets of ice trays (four trays total) and each one empties into a shallow drawer underneath. The trays are on a spring loaded mechanism- when the ice is ready, you turn the knobs and the ice cubes fall into the drawer below. The trays still need to be filled, but I find that my kids love that part, because they want to have a chance to turn the trays over.

This is not our fridge, but if you look at the inner view, you can see what I mean in the top right of the freezer. It's not as convenient as an automatic icemaker, but it won't break down and it's much easier to deal with than regular trays.
http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/602l-sharp-french-door-fridge-sjf60pcwh/

Interesting freezer with all those compartments.  Does that leave less room for stuff?  Would be easy to find things, but at the expense of space?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Suzie Q - that is the exact fridge I've been coveting. Do you find it reliable?

A little more on our situation. I wouldn't really use the ice - however my children would use it morning, noon and night and never, ever refill ice cube trays. I, on the other hand, would use the filtered water all the time. I don't care for the taste of our tap water and so buy bottled water regularly so that will be a saving. Plumbing shouldn't be a problem. We have a friendly neighborhood plumber who plumbed in our dishwasher (directly next to the fridge) for not much money.

You've all given me a lot to think about - I still am leaning towards going with one but I know far better what to research re filter costs etc. Thanks!

We have had no problems from the fridge itself. The panel that has the lights on it has been replaced TWICE since we got the fridge 4 months ago! But it cost nothing, because it's under warranty. The ice lights went out - everything still worked fine, but I figured I'd get it fixed while under warranty. :)

Ours have had no problems whatsoever. 

The filters are expensive and I find that I tried other lower cost filter brands and they weren't as good as the Samsung.  The 'no name brand' leaked at the water dispenser.. had a drip and it didn't last as long either.  Went back to the Samsung brand and found an online place that is cheaper than Sears, HD etc: http://www.filtersfast.com/P-Samsung-DA29-00003G-Filter.asp?em=remindprodlink&CTA=Description.  Funny, I just got an email notification today reminding me it is time to buy more.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2012, 05:54:35 PM »
Hi all. Our faithful old fridge is falling apart at the seams and we've decided it is time it was retired to extra-drinks-at-parties duty. So we need to shop for a new one, probably at the post Christmas sales. DH and I are having a dispute about the ice making feature that some fridges have. I want one, he thinks it will be a waste of money. I agree that it probably isn't the best value in the world, but darnit I've wanted one of those fridges that make ice since I was about 7 years old, we won't buy another fridge until this one falls apart and we can afford it. DH is happy for me to get it if I really want it (he's good that way), so I'm not asking for adjudicators in a marital dispute here. I would, however, like a little more feedback before I go on.

So, for those Ehellions with an ice maker - do you use it? Does it make good ice? Would you buy it again on your next fridge? Any other comments/suggestions would be most welcome.

Yes, I use my ice maker. It does make good ice and I will definitely have one in any future refrigerator that I buy.

The drawback to ice makers is that they take up a lot of real estate so if you are one that freezes a lot of stuff, you might not like that. For me it's not an issue; our old fridge is in the garage and we use that freezer as well, so we have plenty of room.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

wheeitsme

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 09:15:02 PM »

We have this fridge: http://www.samsung.com/us/appliances/refrigerators/RF263TEAESR/AA

I have the same fridge except we opted for the internal water dispenser and ice in the bottom freezer only.  We wanted the extra shelf and fridge space.

OP - make sure you shop around.  Many places price match.  The fridge below was on sale at Best Buy for $1100 when we bought it two years ago.  I went to Lowes, they matched the price PLUS had free deliver and haul away of the old fridge.   

We are VERY happy with this fridge.  I love the drawer across the bottom.  Even little yogurt cups fit in it.

storage space
[/quote]
I have your fridge, too.
No in door, but we got a great deal on in because it had a tiny dent/scratch on delivery and the original buyers refused it. 

sempronialou

• semper ubi sub ubi
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2012, 09:28:40 PM »
My parents got a fridge with an ice maker years ago when they put their new kitchen.  I always thought the ice tasted funny.  Even with cleaning the freezer every so often, it still tasted like freezer to me.  It sounds like they're different now with filters and what not, so maybe freezer flavored ice is not a problem anymore.  My mom ended up disabling the function so she could have more room in the freezer. 

I opted not to get one with an ice maker or water dispenser when my husband and I redid our kitchen.  I do fill ice cube trays, but I keep a ziplock covered container that I dump the ice cubes in.  The ice always tastes good.  No freezer taste.  I can wash the trays and container every so often to keep everything disinfected.  Maybe it's a little more work, but that's what I like personally.  If I'm entertaining a bunch of people, I find it easier to get a bag of ice anyway. 

Figgie

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 09:34:28 PM »
We've had a side by side with an ice maker and water dispenser in the door for seven years and haven't had any problems with it.  The only issue that I have with the ice dispenser is that I kept finding little pools of water all over the kitchen floor.

I finally heard the "clunk" noise of ice cubes being dispensed and peeked into the kitchen to see my tuxedo boy cat dispensing himself ice cubes and then playing around with them on the kitchen floor.  :)  I engaged the childproof lock on the ice/water dispenser and that solved that problem!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 09:58:41 PM »
This is ours that we bought earlier this year.  I was concerned about organizing things in a bottom freezer as we'd had side by side for so long.  But I love this one with the two freezer drawers. 

I haven't been without a ice maker in 20 years.  Though we've replaced ice makers about every 5 to 7 years, we've never had a problem with the through the door feature.  I also like not having to open the fridge to get access to ice.

http://www.lg.com/us/refrigerators/lg-LMX28987ST-french-4-door-refrigerator

Iris

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2012, 10:32:35 PM »
We've had a side by side with an ice maker and water dispenser in the door for seven years and haven't had any problems with it.  The only issue that I have with the ice dispenser is that I kept finding little pools of water all over the kitchen floor.

I finally heard the "clunk" noise of ice cubes being dispensed and peeked into the kitchen to see my tuxedo boy cat dispensing himself ice cubes and then playing around with them on the kitchen floor.  :)  I engaged the childproof lock on the ice/water dispenser and that solved that problem!

That is hilarious.

Hmmmmmmmm, how do you find the LG? Someone told me they found theirs unreliable. Then again, I had another 'unreliable' brand of washing machine and no hassles for 15 years, and my new 'reliable' one has difficulty after difficulty.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2012, 10:45:05 PM »
Meh. I've never really liked them. They take up more room than cube trays and break a lot more frequently. What I really don't want is one with the through-door kind. It takes up nearly half the door and I'd rather have that space for storing food.

That said, it's very, very hard to get refrigerators without an ice maker these days.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 11:37:56 PM »

A friend of mine has seven (large) dogs - her saint bernard had a habit of learning on the fridge to dispense ice cubes for the other pups to play with.  He also learned how to turn on the kitchen sink (which he vastly preferred to his water bowl) and that when the microwave dinged, all he had to do was push the "door open" button to get tasty, tasty people food.  I don't know how she managed  :P

AdakAK

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2012, 02:14:31 AM »
We just bought a samsung with a small ice maker in the fridge door.  It doesn't take up as much room or store as much ice but I really like it.  For the first time we went with a freezer on the bottom model.  After having a dispenser fridge for years we lived for a year without and I really noticed the difference.  We all drink more water with it in the door.  The slim design we have now is nice since wert don't lose much space.  It is on our must have list for a fridge.

strangetimes

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 04:15:53 AM »
We just got a new fridge and while it doesn't have an automatic icemaker, it has a cool ice tray set up that makes ice really fun! It has two sets of ice trays (four trays total) and each one empties into a shallow drawer underneath. The trays are on a spring loaded mechanism- when the ice is ready, you turn the knobs and the ice cubes fall into the drawer below. The trays still need to be filled, but I find that my kids love that part, because they want to have a chance to turn the trays over.

This is not our fridge, but if you look at the inner view, you can see what I mean in the top right of the freezer. It's not as convenient as an automatic icemaker, but it won't break down and it's much easier to deal with than regular trays.
http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/602l-sharp-french-door-fridge-sjf60pcwh/

Interesting freezer with all those compartments.  Does that leave less room for stuff?  Would be easy to find things, but at the expense of space?

I love it! There's still lots of space and it's super organized. I can actually fit more in it than in the freezer space from my old fridge- (standard freezer on top) even though there's technically less space, because I'm using the space more efficiently.

My first choice would probably have been one of those big drawers, but research has led us to believe that the Sharp fridges are more reliable, which is why we went with it. (here's hoping that pans out!)

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2012, 07:52:08 AM »
There is one inside my freezer. I do use it. I do not have one of the outside ones that also serve liquid water, if that is what you mean, though.
I have pet mice!

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2012, 09:00:31 AM »
Meh. I've never really liked them. They take up more room than cube trays and break a lot more frequently. What I really don't want is one with the through-door kind. It takes up nearly half the door and I'd rather have that space for storing food.

That said, it's very, very hard to get refrigerators without an ice maker these days.

If you know you don't want the ice maker and won't use it, you can check to see if it can be removed, if it's an in the freezer type. A friend of mine did that, as replumbing the kitchen to get water over to the fridge wasn't an option. The store was able to remove the icemaker and plug the holes, so she has the full use of the freezer.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn