Author Topic: Crispy skins in roaster ovens  (Read 3213 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Crispy skins in roaster ovens
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 08:03:55 PM »
I think it is a misnomer to call it a crockpot.   I used mine tonight to heat up the squash and mashed potatoes.  Then transferred to the oven to roast and back to the roaster to keep warm.  Worked perfectly.   I don't believe it is anything like a crockpot.  I wouldn't do a stew or tough roast in my roaster.  I use it as a 2nd oven.

That's interesting. My old one (which was lost in a flood about 7 years ago) was used mainly by LDH for a double batch of his famous chili -- much like a crock pot was used.

I bought this one mainly because I needed a second oven for a large party. I would really like to use it more for it's intended purpose.

The turkey cooks faster in the roaster than in the regular oven so it doesn't seem real similar to a crockpot to me.

Please don't get me wrong . . . I would like to use my roaster oven for the intended purpose that it was made for. I just don't know how.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 02:07:37 PM »
I think it is a misnomer to call it a crockpot.   I used mine tonight to heat up the squash and mashed potatoes.  Then transferred to the oven to roast and back to the roaster to keep warm.  Worked perfectly.   I don't believe it is anything like a crockpot.  I wouldn't do a stew or tough roast in my roaster.  I use it as a 2nd oven.

That's interesting. My old one (which was lost in a flood about 7 years ago) was used mainly by LDH for a double batch of his famous chili -- much like a crock pot was used.

I bought this one mainly because I needed a second oven for a large party. I would really like to use it more for it's intended purpose.

Well, I guess it can depend on what size roaster you have.  I have the largest one - The Hamilton Beach 22 qt which I believe holds a 22 lb turkey.  I could do a humungo batch of chili in it, but I would be feeding an army.  I loaned it to a friend of mine who did a huge batch of beans for a military function for about 100.  In those cases, it could be similar to a crockpot, just one of a larger size since I do my beans or chili in my 6 qt crockpot.  If I had as smaller roaster, I could see that doubling as a crockpot and be more efficient since there are the temperature controls.

I have also done ribs in it.  Works perfectly.

I love how it gave me quick extra oven space for Xmas dinner the other night.  I was able to time my meal so much better because of it.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »

The turkey cooks faster in the roaster than in the regular oven so it doesn't seem real similar to a crockpot to me.

Please don't get me wrong . . . I would like to use my roaster oven for the intended purpose that it was made for. I just don't know how.

Think of it as an additional oven.  I put my premade mashed potatoes in there to reheat on XMas night as well as the squash.  Once the prime rib was out of the oven, I transferred both to the oven. 

What size do you have?  Like I said above, I cooked ribs in there.  Made a nice huge batch.  Many people in hot climates like AZ use them in the summer time instead of the oven so not to heat up the house on an already hot day. 

If you are doing a big meal and your oven is already in use, it is great as a 2nd oven or to reheat b/c you can control the temp. 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 03:41:25 PM »
I have a 22 qt Oster . . .

Would you please post your recipe for the ribs? I usually only do ribs in the summer on the grill, but miss a really good rib during the winter.

I have no problem with cooking a huge meal and freezing.

Any other recipes for a roaster oven will be greatly appreciated!

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »
I always do the ribs in the roaster at a very low temp first, then finish on the grill.  If I'm doing a big batch, I throw them all in the roaster (the removable pan part) with a bit of seasoning or rub on them.  Cook on 200 or 225 for several hours, only lifting the lid to turn, then finish on the grill with your favourite BBQ sauce or rub.  It is a much better alternative to boiling them before grilling and preserves the flavour.

I'm doing a spiral cut ham in it tonight so it is ready for tomorrow's party for 50 people.  I don't normally have 'recipe's specifically for the roaster.  I use it as another oven when I'm having big parties or meals. 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Okay. Color me ignorant.

I dug out my users guide (which, on purchase, I just threw in a zip-lock along with the receipt and warranty papers and filed away with the rest of my appliance information :-[).

Surprise, surprise, surprise! You can cook/bake anything in this thing! From cookies to pizza . . . I always used my old one as a glorified crock-pot.

Thanks, sparksals, for gently holding my hand and getting my head out of the sand on this remarkable tool I have. ;D

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 03:10:47 PM »
You're not ignorant!  Hope I didn't make you feel that way!

It worked like a charm to heat up two hot dips I made for our party on Saturday whihc allowed me to heat everything else up in the oven.  I had everything on the table when guests started to arrive.  No trying to get through the kitchen party people!

I am making beef stock in it today from the left over Christmas Prime Rib bones and marrow bones from the mashed potatoes.  My stockpot is a bit too small for the big bones and my roaster fit everything perfectly.  Never done stock in it before, so will report back. 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »
You're not ignorant!  Hope I didn't make you feel that way!

It worked like a charm to heat up two hot dips I made for our party on Saturday whihc allowed me to heat everything else up in the oven.  I had everything on the table when guests started to arrive.  No trying to get through the kitchen party people!

I am making beef stock in it today from the left over Christmas Prime Rib bones and marrow bones from the mashed potatoes.  My stockpot is a bit too small for the big bones and my roaster fit everything perfectly.  Never done stock in it before, so will report back.

Oh, no . . . you didn't make me feel that way. It's just one of those silly things, me thinking "I've had this product before" so I didn't bother to read the manual that made me roll my eyes at myself.

How did your stock turn out?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 06:38:38 PM »
It turned out amazing!  It will be my new method of doing all kinds of stock.  Far less messy, no spill overs.  It was very concentrated and flavourful once I strained it.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:43:17 PM by sparksals »

Lynnv

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 10:19:53 PM »
Great idea!   I don't use my roaster often, but that would work better than the stovetop for big batches.   
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »
The only pain was to clean the inner pan b/c it is so big, but it made a messy task much easier and far less messy! 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 01:56:02 PM »
That stock looks awesome! ;D

What temperature setting and how long did you cook it?

You're right, cleaning the pan in a small kitchen sink is a pain. With my old roaster, I used to clean the lining pan outside with a hose (pour some boiling water into it with soap, let it soak and cool a bit until you can get your hands in with a sponge.)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 02:39:20 PM »
It was a bit by trial and error b/c I know what setting to use on the stove, but it doesn't tell me the temp.   I started at 350 and it took a couple hours to get warm, so I upped it to 425 to get it boiling.  Once it started boiling, I turned it down to 400 and then 375 to keep it simmering and get it to reduce.  I think I did it for about 6 or 7 hours, then turned it off and let it cool all night.  Strained it in the AM, put it in the fridge to let the fat settle at top so it could be skimmed.  I just put it into containers last night to freeze.  I got about 16 cups total separated into 2 cup containers.  It is a nice, rich colour almost like a beef gravy colour, so very concentrated.  When I use it, I most likely will dilute 50/50.  It will go a long way.