Author Topic: Would it be rude to back out for a head cold?  (Read 2814 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Would it be rude to back out for a head cold?
« on: December 24, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »
I'm on Day Three of a head cold and so not in a celebratory mood.  Would it be rude to call Brunhilde and back out of tomorrow?

Joeschmo

Re: Would it be rude to back out for a head cold?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 10:06:31 AM »
You're sick, why would that be rude?

gorplady

• “Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat”
    • PerfectDuluthDay
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 10:53:48 AM »
I think illness is an acceptable excuse to back out of anything, except maybe childbirth.  >:D

onyonryngs

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »
I think illness is an acceptable excuse to back out of anything, except maybe childbirth.  >:D

How rude for the child to just show up when the "host" isn't feeling well!   >:D

But yeah, not rude to cancel when you're not feeling well.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 11:00:16 AM »
I'm giving myself one more hour for the decision.  I found some cold pills and hope they still work.

mrkitty

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 11:03:52 AM »
Not only not rude, but considerate as well. An infection is not a gift I think anyone wants for Christmas.

I hope you feel better soon! I can relate...I'm sick right now, too. That pretty much scraps our plans for midnight mass tonight, but I think God will understand. We can pray at home and make it up another time.
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »
It's not rude at all.  Better to see someone at a later point in time than to see them while they're sick, and catch what they have.  They'll probably understand.

Ida

• L' Esprit d' Escalier
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 12:02:10 AM »
It is rude NOT to back out for a head cold.
Where's my Barbie Action Figure??

SoCalVal

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 12:30:28 AM »
Not only not rude, but considerate as well. An infection is not a gift I think anyone wants for Christmas.

I hope you feel better soon! I can relate...I'm sick right now, too. That pretty much scraps our plans for midnight mass tonight, but I think God will understand. We can pray at home and make it up another time.

Pod.  I've been nursing a cold since Thursday.  Didn't go to Nights 6-9 of the novena, didn't go to Mass tonight with DF, won't be joining him tomorrow when he goes to his aunt and uncle's for Christmas.  There are some things that are just unavoidable (I've spent today and yesterday mostly sleeping trying to get over this cold).

Rudeness would be other people holding it against you for not going out when you are sick.

mrkitty

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 12:41:55 AM »

Pod.  I've been nursing a cold since Thursday.  Didn't go to Nights 6-9 of the novena, didn't go to Mass tonight with DF, won't be joining him tomorrow when he goes to his aunt and uncle's for Christmas.  There are some things that are just unavoidable (I've spent today and yesterday mostly sleeping trying to get over this cold).

Rudeness would be other people holding it against you for not going out when you are sick.

Totally agree with SoCalVal. It sucks to be sick any time, but especially when one has a special occasion. However, I couldn't hold it against anyone for re-scheduling plans to spare me or my loved ones from anything contagious. I just wish whomever the individual was who passed on this particular gift that keeps on giving (the sneezes, aches, pains and incessant coughing) had stayed home...if they knew they were sick.

That's why I get so irritated (privately) when one of DH's co-irkers comes to work anyway when they are very obviously sick, especially when they have copious PTO time stored up but choose to "save" it for a vacation....I have compassion for people who feel they have to work because they can't afford to NOT work, but, well, anyway. I guess that's for a different thread.

OP, I hope you feel better soon and please, please don't feel rude for protecting your hosts' health and staying home to regain yours. Merry Christmas to you!
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 09:52:07 AM »
I'm staying home and a minute ago couldn't taste my tea.

Sean's family's Christmas Day has been cancelled due to his sister's illness.  This bites.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 01:24:39 PM »
I usually decide based on how close I am to the people...if it is my stepmom, I would call and let her know the situation and what would she want me to do. If one of the kids were sick, I asked if she wanted us to still come.  If I felt bad but could just veg out on the sofa and she was okay with it then I would go. If it were to a friend's party I would probably stay home.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
UPDATE:

I backed out of Christmas Day and was there for New Year's Day yesterday.  Everyone had a cold this year and all were better by yesterday.  I'm sleeping at night, but still have a mild head cold during the day.  Here's hoping it's over by this weekend.