Author Topic: I think I encountered the RUDEST trick or treater in history!  (Read 7490 times)

JeanFromBNA

Re: I think I encountered the RUDEST trick or treater in history!
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »
Is her name Veruca, by any chance?

baritone108

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 05:18:23 PM »
It was a nice Halloween night. My doorbell rang. I picked up the bowl with its assorted candies and opened it to greet a little girl (I would guess about five or six years of age) dressed as a prim little ballerina. I complimented her beautiful handmade costume and she did a little twirl for me. I reached into the bowl and grabbed a random piece of candy off the top, it was a Tootsie Roll, and gently deposited it into her plastic bucket.

This lovely girl gasped and took the candy back out of her bucket.

She exclaimed, "I HATE Tootsie Rolls!" and hurled the candy back at me. She stuck her hand out in the perfect imitation of a teacher who wants you to hand over contraband bubblegum and said, "I want a Snickers."

I had something similar happen several years ago but the effect was different and I thought it was funny. 

On Halloween I was dispensing candy from a large bowl with a mixed assortment.  A girl of about 5 or 6, dressed as a ballerina, nicely said "Trick or Treat" and "Thank you" as I put a piece of candy in her bucket.  When she got to the end of my walk she saw what it was I gave her (don't remember what it was) and quietly walked back, put it back in the bowl saying, "No, thank you", turned around and walked away.  Her mother was horrified.  I told the little girl she was welcome to select something else from the bowl but she kept walking and I had to chase her down (not past my house) to get her to take something she liked.  I also assured her mother that I was not offended.

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 03:09:25 AM »
I'm... just... wow.  :o

Also, do kids check their candy and note which is the new piece at each house? That would never have occurred to me as a kid.

blueyzca01

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »
No way did anyone in my group of friends check what you were given.  You collected your loot from each house and moved on to the next. 
Of course, the houses that gave out FULL SIZE candy bars were our favorites, but we didnít discriminate.   All houses were worthy of visiting and accepting donations.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

StoutGirl

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2013, 12:31:11 PM »
Is her name Veruca, by any chance?

Haha!  That was brilliant!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2013, 12:52:07 PM »
I kind of did. I wouldn't bother the the house that always gave a religious tract and 2 pieces of peanut butter taffee, but was really looking forward to the house that always gave the most awsome spun sugar things that looked like ice cream cones. Most of them didn't stand out though. I was always polite. I just noticed.

Isisnin

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2013, 01:41:41 PM »
Wow!  That's a classic Hall of Famer!

I had a boy who was polite enough not to say anything about whatever was bothering him.  He was about 5 or 6 with a couple other boys his age.  I put his bag of Gummy Bears in his bag first and as I put the Gummy Bears into his friends' bags, I could see his confusion/concern out of the corner of my eye.  His brow kinda knotted and he looked into his bag, but he didn't say anything and a flood of kids kept me busy. He disappeared into the night without a word. 

After awhile, I realized that the kids weren't recognizing the candy.  So I started telling them it was Gummy Bears and they loved 'em.

I hope the boy liked the Gummy Bears, but kudos to him for not complaining.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2013, 08:52:57 AM »
Speaking of rude trick-or-treaters, I once had a group of kids come up to the house and recite the "Trick-or-treat, smell my feet" rhyme.  Yes, it was rude.  Did I have a heck of a time keeping a straight face?  OH yeah.  ;D

ettiquit

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2013, 01:40:01 PM »
My favorite trick or treater this year was a boy of about 4 who was dressed as a pirate. When he got up to us, his dad hung back a bit and said "what do you say?" and the boy yelled "Trick or Treat!!" with a big goofy smile. After he got his candy, his dad said again "what do you say?" and with that same grin the boy yelled "More!!!". His dad was mortified and we were thoroughly amused.

purplerainbow

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2013, 02:58:12 PM »
We got a few trick or treaters, mainly little kids accompanied by parents.
We kept a tin full of little packs of chocolate buttons, and little boxes of raisins. At one point, the boxes of raisins were on top, but you could still see the packs of chocolate buttons underneath.
Anyway, one little boy I offered the tin to (we offer the tin and let them choose), who must have been about 6 or 7, looked in the tin and squealed, "Raisins! They're my favourite!"  ;D
He's the first kid I've known to say that when the alternative is chocolate (unless they're allergic), but hey. I thought it was cute.  :D

MrTango

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »
OP, you were just fine.

In fact, you were nicer than I would have been when the mother put her hand in the door to prevent it from being closed.  I would have just closed it on her hand.

pearls n purls

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2013, 06:17:05 PM »
Cute!  There's a big difference between children who are good-natured and still learning vs rude children.

My favorite trick or treater this year was a boy of about 4 who was dressed as a pirate. When he got up to us, his dad hung back a bit and said "what do you say?" and the boy yelled "Trick or Treat!!" with a big goofy smile. After he got his candy, his dad said again "what do you say?" and with that same grin the boy yelled "More!!!". His dad was mortified and we were thoroughly amused.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »
OP, you were just fine.

In fact, you were nicer than I would have been when the mother put her hand in the door to prevent it from being closed.  I would have just closed it on her hand.

Ah, I wanted to, but I didn't want this woman using it as an excuse to call the police and turn the whole night into a circus.

I did get visited by an adorable little Eleventh Doctor in a hand made tweed suit and bow-tie, so it was hard to stay upset! :)

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

Possum

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 05:47:19 PM »
Like others here we mix different kinds of candy in a cauldron and the kids get to pick what they prefer.
I did that once.  The first trick'r'treaters we got were two or three kids who dove on the box of candy like it was the last food they'd ever get, and as their father watched with a warm smile, they managed to clear out half of the five-pound box of candy.  It took about five or ten seconds.  I tried to pull the box back, but they grabbed hold and kept shoveling.

So I started handing out, occasionally letting the young ones take their own, and at least half the time, they'll try to grab five or six packets of candy instead of one or two.  (Though in my current neighborhood, the parents usually stop their kid first if they try that.  I like my neighborhood.)

So now, they give what I get them unless it's a kid I know, or unless it's end of the night and I want the candy gone.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 06:04:14 PM »
OP, you were just fine.

Ah, I wanted to, but I didn't want this woman using it as an excuse to call the police and turn the whole night into a circus.

I did get visited by an adorable little Eleventh Doctor in a hand made tweed suit and bow-tie, so it was hard to stay upset! :)

*squees* Did he have his sonic with him?